• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old case? or submit for New Case? CGC 9.9
3 3

55 posts in this topic

Hello Forum Folks!

I finally got my hands on 1 of only 2 CGC graded 9.9 TMNT #1 Mirage Volume 4 (2001)!!! But the case is old and has some wear.

I love the darker blue label, as it matches the cover. But I also love the shiny new 9.9 label they stamp on new cases.

My concern, if I send it in for a re-holder, is that CGC could determine a lower grade (if someone is having a bad day), or they might be in a rush and damage the comic as they remove/re-holder the comic.

1) Has anyone had issues getting a 9.9 re-holdered?

2) Is it possible to 'buff' the scratches out of an old case without causing damage or newton rings to form?

3) Are comics safe in old cases, or do they need to be re-holdered every so often?

THANKS!

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

On 2/26/2022 at 4:11 PM, gregwynn said:

Never reholder a 9.9 contrary to what most think cgc does look at the books when they are reholdered. There is a story out there with someone reholdering their killing joke 9.9 and it came back a 9.8...cgc said they found a scratch on it. 

I agree with the consensus that it is not worth the risk on this book.  But I feel this is misinformation because it makes it seem like they are regrading every reholder and investigating for flaws that were there the first time--just as if you submitted it for a regrade.  I really don't think they do, and I don't care what Killing Joke man reported. 

Now, a reholder submission may end up getting downgraded, but because of the post-encapsulation dangers Beyonder said (SCS or someone fat-fingering it in the reholder process)--not discovering, in passing, a flaw that was there all along.  This policy makes sense because to regrade based on flaws that were present the first time they graded it means admitting that their original grade was incorrect (and so incorrect that it was immediately visible during reholder and without a full regrade). 

However, the webpage does expressly state that the grade might change due to post-encapsulation damage (in addition to those mentioned already, another example would be if you had it on the wall in your sun room and it's now completed faded).  This policy also makes sense because it does not mean admitting that their original grade was so incorrect that it was immediately apparent to someone doing a simple reholder.  When I was collecting slabs I was OCD about having the new slabs and slabs without rings or scuffs, and so I have reholder lots of 9.8s.  They all came back 9.8.  I believe that is the norm for something that doesn't get serious and obvious post-encapsulation damage.  

Oddly enough, unlike the US website which states that the grade may change due to post-encapsulation damage, the UK one states unequivocally that it "will not change."  https://www.cgccomics.uk/submit/services-fees/cgc/    So if you submit a high value book, say that 9.9 Hulk 181, make sure you do it from the UK portal.  :)

Edited by Poekaymon

I too would not take a chance. The risk on a 9.9 is far too realistic as bottom line obsessed Blackstone does not believe in QC

Meguiars PlastX along with a soft cloth (as shown in pic) and some arm effort will remove many light to near medium scratches and light to medium scuffs.

814eHJiah5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, Poekaymon said:

Oddly enough, unlike the US website which states that the grade may change due to post-encapsulation damage, the UK one states unequivocally that it "will not change."  https://www.cgccomics.uk/submit/services-fees/cgc/    So if you submit a high value book, say that 9.9 Hulk 181, make sure you do it from the UK portal.  :)

(: I would have never known! If I decide to risk it someday, I will certainly try that!

On 2/26/2022 at 2:38 PM, MAR1979 said:

I too would not take a chance. The risk on a 9.9 is far too realistic as bottom line obsessed Blackstone does not believe in QC

Meguiars PlastX along with a soft cloth (as shown in pic) and some arm effort will remove many light to near medium scratches and light to medium scuffs.

814eHJiah5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks! I'll give that stuff a try!

Relax, don't do it

When you wan't to re-slab it

But realistically what do you all think the chances of it getting down-graded are? 2 to 1? 5 to 1? 10 to 1? I spent about 10 minutes trying to find this on the census and on gocollect and couldn't. What is the value of a 9.9 as opposed to a 9.8?

Depending on the extant of the money at risk I say go for it. Keep in mind there is also a chance the page quality could change. But you only live once so , well you know.

On 2/26/2022 at 2:46 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

Hello Forum Folks!

I finally got my hands on 1 of only 2 CGC graded 9.9 TMNT #1 Mirage Volume 4 (2001)!!! But the case is old and has some wear.

I love the darker blue label, as it matches the cover. But I also love the shiny new 9.9 label they stamp on new cases.

My concern, if I send it in for a re-holder, is that CGC could determine a lower grade (if someone is having a bad day), or they might be in a rush and damage the comic as they remove/re-holder the comic.

1) Has anyone had issues getting a 9.9 re-holdered?

2) Is it possible to 'buff' the scratches out of an old case without causing damage or newton rings to form?

3) Are comics safe in old cases, or do they need to be re-holdered every so often?

THANKS!

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

I'd say leave it as-is @Drake Dragoon.  Honestly, the case looks really good for its age.

Also, I'm the seller.  :hi:  I'll be sure to pack it carefully.  This one will get the double box treatment for sure.  (thumbsu