• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Facesmiles hurt the value of originals?
4 4

36 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 12:12 AM, Poekaymon said:

Maybe you would have gone as high as $20 or $50 for that purpose on some lower end books, but then there's that brand new mint facsimile for 3.99.

I think most people who make that choice probably weren't going to buy the originals anyway.

If $4 for a reprint stops you from paying $20 for a first print... then you didn't really want it that bad.

On 2/27/2022 at 3:30 PM, KCode98 said:

Just getting back around to collection comics I had no idea "facesmiles" even came around.  

@Comics4All
Sentince?

On 3/3/2022 at 12:04 AM, Beyonder123 said:

All facsimiles are reprints but I don't think all reprints are facsimiles. 

Can you give me an example of a facsimile that does not have a reprinted story? Thanks!

On 3/3/2022 at 3:16 AM, bronze johnny said:

Can you give me an example of a facsimile that does not have a reprinted story? Thanks!

No because all facsimiles are reprints. But there are plenty of reprints that aren't facsimiles. For example reprints with variant covers, comics that reprint multiple titles, like Marvel Tales. And second and third printings that came out roughly the same time as the first printing I feel don't really qualify as facsimiles.

On 3/3/2022 at 9:16 PM, bronze johnny said:

Some feature fixed mistakes in colouring or whatnot iirc, so they're not all exact reprints.

Do face smiles reprint ad pages

Reprints generally don't have the same ads.

And it's possible for second and multiple printings can have different ads if they are published in a different month.

Or covers different with different colors like The Killing Joke.

I thought facsimiles we're completely copied from the original including ad pages and letter pages

On 3/3/2022 at 12:04 AM, Beyonder123 said:

All facsimiles are reprints but I don't think all reprints are facsimiles. 

On 3/3/2022 at 6:16 AM, bronze johnny said:

That would be the opposite of what he said.

"All facsimiles are reprints" means just that.

On 3/3/2022 at 6:08 PM, Sigur Ros said:

That would be the opposite of what he said.

"All facsimiles are reprints" means just that.

It’s a rhetorical question. I know that there are reprints that are not facsimiles. The mistake I made was using the wrong numerical sign. The fact of the matter is that facsimiles should also be referred to as “facsimile-reprints” because that’s what they are so long as there’s no material change to the story.