• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2022 at 11:23 PM, Yodisd said:

Does anyone have any advice for new collectors? Thanks 

1. Read the comics.  Don't just buy them and collect them.  Actually read them.  And then buy more of the stories and art that you like.
  2. Don't be afraid to reach for books that you've been after.  I've never regretted buying something once in 45 years but I have lots of regrets over the books I didn't reach for.
  3. It's okay to be someone who buys storylines, individual issues for covers that you like, and/or completes runs.  Don't feel required to collect the way other people do.
  4. Never buy into the hype.  That's selling time, not buying time.
  5. Check out all of the forums here (GA, SA, BA, etc.),  look at what other board members are posting and don't be afraid to explore areas that you're interested in.  There is an incredible knowledge base here and most members are glad to share their knowledge.
  6. Explore, explore, explore.  I was a child of the 70s that grew up reading SA and BA comics.  When I was 18, I started getting interested in GA and magazines.  At this point, I've collected most genres of comics out there.  Thank goodness I didn't just keep reading and collecting SA and BA comics (as awesome as they are).
  7. Don't get caught up in 9.8 fever.  They're making new ones every day.

On 3/13/2022 at 9:39 AM, The Lions Den said:

In the grand scheme of things, that is a pretty minor flaw. I certainly wouldn't pay extra to have it redone...  

When I was reading the post, I thought that he was saying the slabs had big honking scratches.  You can barely see those even in the blown-up photos.  

On 3/14/2022 at 7:18 AM, chrisco37 said:

When I was reading the post, I thought that he was saying the slabs had big honking scratches.  You can barely see those even in the blown-up photos.  

I'll go out on a limb and say that QC didn't think it would be seen as a problem...  :whistle: 

On 3/14/2022 at 6:18 AM, chrisco37 said:

On 3/14/2022 at 11:55 AM, The Lions Den said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that QC didn't think it would be seen as a problem...  :whistle: 

But what do you do when the book is a 9.8 but the slab is only a 9.4?  How does that impact the value?  9.8 books should be in 9.8 slabs.  

We need some sort of service that will certify the condition of the slab.  :sumo:

On 2/28/2022 at 12:23 AM, Yodisd said:

Don't listen to the Negative Nellies and Debbie Downers that experience self-therapy when they post that we're in a vintage comics market bubble and that it's all going to crash and burn. 

Oh, and learn how to grade a comic book (i mean, really learn how to do it) before buying raw vintage comics.

Oh, and buy from experienced, highly reputable dealers that know how to grade.

Hofstadter's Law is that it always takes longer than you think, even when you take Hofstadter's Law into account.

There is probably a corollary for the cost of engaging in collecting comics, to the effect that it always costs more than you think, even when you take that corollary into account.

On 2/28/2022 at 12:23 AM, Yodisd said:

Have fun, buy what you love, learn to grade your own books. Get some insurance on your collection, I'm still working on that goal myself. Be careful what you post on here. Do not draw attention to a book that you are trying to keep under the radar.  I don't care how friendly everyone seems, remember:  there be sharks in these waters.  Keep asking questions! Pay it forward. Most important: if you find any golden age Wonder Woman books contact me first.