• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Go to your local comic book store, tell them what kind of books you generally like to read.  Tell them which comic book movies you’ve liked, and let them make some recommendations.

also wash your hands more often than you’re doing now.

My advice is if you send comics to CGC for grading thoroughly check them for cracks, scratches, partially opened cases etc IMMEDIATELY when you get them back. The quality of work from CGC has plummeted in the last year. 

I submitted 30 books ($672!!) for grading and a full 6 months later  when I finally got my order back from CGC, 10 of my books had scratches on the cases. Oddly it seems to have been a case defect because on all the books the acratch was exactly the same, same size, same location, everything. When I sent this to CGC the reps response was "oh well we don't fix "minor" scratches.

I could have put up a better fight except I waited too long and more than 2 weeks passed since i received my order. To which the rep said "oh we would love to help but....policy and we don't fix minor defects anyway. But hey you can submit for reholder for another $20/book!"

So now I am stuck with 10 scratched books. But what was disturbing was the flippant way my concern was addressed by CGC. They literally didn't care at all that they sent me scratched cases. CGC needs competition.  They can treat customers any way they want because there is no where else to go for grading service. Personally I am done with CGC. I have spent thousands of dollars with them but if this is how they are going to be I will not be giving CGC any more of my money. I will take my chances selling my books raw.

20220228_160003~4.jpg

20220228_155748~3.jpg

On 3/2/2022 at 6:00 AM, ComicGuyROC said:

My advice is if you send comics to CGC for grading thoroughly check them for cracks, scratches, partially opened cases etc IMMEDIATELY when you get them back. The quality of work from CGC has plummeted in the last year. 

I submitted 30 books ($672!!) for grading and a full 6 months later  when I finally got my order back from CGC, 10 of my books had scratches on the cases. Oddly it seems to have been a case defect because on all the books the acratch was exactly the same, same size, same location, everything. When I sent this to CGC the reps response was "oh well we don't fix "minor" scratches.

I could have put up a better fight except I waited too long and more than 2 weeks passed since i received my order. To which the rep said "oh we would love to help but....policy and we don't fix minor defects anyway. But hey you can submit for reholder for another $20/book!"

So now I am stuck with 10 scratched books. But what was disturbing was the flippant way my concern was addressed by CGC. They literally didn't care at all that they sent me scratched cases. CGC needs competition.  They can treat customers any way they want because there is no where else to go for grading service. Personally I am done with CGC. I have spent thousands of dollars with them but if this is how they are going to be I will not be giving CGC any more of my money. I will take my chances selling my books raw.

20220228_160003~4.jpg

20220228_155748~3.jpg

Wow thanks 

On 2/27/2022 at 7:23 PM, Yodisd said:

Does anyone have any advice for new collectors? Thanks 

Pick a favorite character or family of characters and try to focus on that. 
If you want a book, buy it. If it's too expensive, get a low grade. If that's too expensive, get a reprint.
Don't get too concerned with grade, you can always upgrade later.
Store your comics properly.
Be organized and make a spreadsheet of what you want / what you have.
Make some place to display your favorite books where you can enjoy them. Accent with pops or action figures or whatever.
Don't ever buy a book that is too expensive for you or makes you nervous. Don't bring stress into the hobby.
Don't compare your collection to other people's. Some people have collections you will never match. That's OK. Collect for you.
Go to shows and cons. Frequent your LCS. Connect on social media. Make friends in the hobby.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:00 AM, ComicGuyROC said:

20220228_160003~4.jpg

20220228_155748~3.jpg

In the grand scheme of things, that is a pretty minor flaw. I certainly wouldn't pay extra to have it redone...  

On 2/28/2022 at 12:23 AM, Yodisd said:

Does anyone have any advice for new collectors? Thanks 

This highway leads to the shadowy tip of reality; you're on a through route to the land of the different, the bizarre, the unexplainable. Go as far as you like on this road. Its limits are only those of mind itself. You're entering the wondrous dimension of imagination. Next stop...the Comicon...  :bigsmile:

I'll echo what others have said,,,,,,,, buy what you love and you will be rewarded ,,,,,,, try not to think of it as an investment,,but a hobby. Take care of your hobby,,,,store your books well,,,,,,, don't let anyone "borrow" a book,,,,,,, and learn all you can of the wonderful history of comics,,,,,,,, I believe that is enough sage advice for now,,,,, enjoy!

Get a subscription to GPA, Go Collect and Key collector (or some other service that documents the worth of raw). If you plan on spending more than 50 dollars on an issue, put some effort into researching the value and availibility. Don't collect what you don't care for..avoid fads and speculative comics. Collecting is a pro active activity..engage in conventions, the internet and retail stores.