• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about polybag books.

16 posts in this topic

Question 1.

If I submit a book that was originally polybagged but pulled out of the bag will CGC not put "polybag version" on the label? Particularly in the case of Todd McFarlane's Spider-man #1, the polybag version does not have a price on it and it's obvious it's the polybag version but will they note that in the label if you remove it from the bag?

Question 2.

In cases where it's obvious that the book was originally in a polybag (like in example stated in question 1) will they write "polybag removed" on the label if the item was removed from the bag and sent to CGC or will they only write that if CGC removes it from the bag.

I'm asking because I have some comic books that are in need of pressing due to the "polybag crease" that resulted over time and I don't feel like having CCS press that book because it will add months to the delay.

In the past couple months, I submitted two Spider-man 1 poly bagged versions 1992 and 3 Morbius the living vampire # 1's. I sent in all 5 five books still sealed in their poly bags. I did not have any of the books pressed because of the ridiculous turn-around times. That was a big mistake. The two Spider-man books were returned 9.2 with the exact same grader notes. CGC did not return the poly bags but correctly identified them as the poly bag version. The 3 Morbius # 1's all came back with a 9.4 grade with the exact same grader's notes. All three of the poly bags and the original posters were returned with the graded books.

I have a couple hundred books in my collection from that 90's poly bag trend (Batman Shadow of the Bat 1 and X-Force 1). I put them all in bags and boards and they all have the same storage creases.:preach: You have to spend the money to press out the storage crease.

From CGC...

CGC does not certify sealed poly-bagged books. To have a poly-bagged book certified by CGC, you must remove the book from its poly-bag or send written approval authorizing CGC to remove it. The words “Poly-bag removed” appear on the CGC label.

On 3/4/2022 at 6:59 AM, Kantankerous said:

But has anyone submitted a book that was removed from the polybag and received the "polybag notes"?

Hardware1CGC9.8aCollectorsEdition.jpg

On 3/4/2022 at 8:59 AM, Kantankerous said:

But has anyone submitted a book that was removed from the polybag and received the "polybag notes"?

Stuff like "Poly-bag removed." that appears on the right side of the label is part of the entry for that issue in CGC's system. It has nothing to do with any individual copy.

On 3/4/2022 at 12:41 PM, Lazyboy said:

Stuff like "Poly-bag removed." that appears on the right side of the label is part of the entry for that issue in CGC's system. It has nothing to do with any individual copy.

That can't be true otherwise this wouldn't happen.

Same books and one has "Polybag removed" one doesn't.

And from my understanding all 1st prints of this book were polybagged.  What would make CGC say one is a polybagged version and the other one isn't on the label? Seems really inconsistent to me. Did they only label the ones they received in a polybag "Polybag edition"?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Kantankerous
Better pictures

On 3/6/2022 at 10:39 PM, Kantankerous said:

That can't be true otherwise this wouldn't happen.

Same books and one has "Polybag removed" one doesn't.

It is true. CGC stupidly making multiple entries for the exact same thing doesn't change that. Also, the notes can change over time, so if you see multiple slabs that were graded at different times, they won't necessarily have the same notes.

And from my understanding all 1st prints of this book were polybagged.

Yes.

What would make CGC say one is a polybagged version and the other one isn't on the label? Seems really inconsistent to me. Did they only label the ones they received in a polybag "Polybag edition"?

Again, CGC does stupid things sometimes (far too often, frankly). Being inconsistent is the only thing they do consistently.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:56 AM, Lazyboy said:

It is true. CGC stupidly making multiple entries for the exact same thing doesn't change that. Also, the notes can change over time, so if you see multiple slabs that were graded at different times, they won't necessarily have the same notes.

Yes.

Again, CGC does stupid things sometimes (far too often, frankly). Being inconsistent is the only thing they do consistently.

Hate to do this again but... it's not the timing... as you know that the certificate numbers are sequential (higher the number the more recent the submission)

3893111023 Grade Date: 12/01/2021 - Poly-bagged Edition

3989814009 Grade Date: 01/17/2022 - No mention of Polybag

If what you say is true then shouldn't the one that was graded more recently have the polybag notes also if the one that was graded before had it?

This leads me to believe that if you do not submit the book in the polybag then you won't get the "Poly-bagged edition" or "polybag removed" on the label.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Kantankerous

On 3/7/2022 at 2:43 PM, Kantankerous said:

Hate to do this again but... it's not the timing... as you know that the certificate numbers are sequential (higher the number the more recent the submission)

3893111023 Grade Date: 12/01/2021 - Poly-bagged Edition

3989814009 Grade Date: 01/17/2022 - No mention of Polybag

I know. I already told you they inexplicably created a duplicate entry (Web of Spider-Man #90 Poly-Bagged Edition) in their system.

On 3/7/2022 at 2:43 PM, Kantankerous said:

If what you say is true then shouldn't the one that was graded more recently have the polybag notes also if the one that was graded before had it?

No, because they were entered into the system differently. They are different entities with different notes. For about 8 years all Web 90s were entered properly as just Web of Spider-Man #90. At the beginning of 2008, somebody incorrectly created a new variant entry for Web of Spider-Man #90 Poly-Bagged Edition and copies have occasionally been entered under that instead of the original correct one.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:22 PM, Pancakes! said:

What's the point of this thread?

(shrug)

Does any of this matter?

No.

Why should I care how it's labeled?

You shouldn't care about anything CGC puts on the label that doesn't serve to properly identify the item, other than their grade.

Next time, choose a name that doesn't make me hungry!

Well, if there's still a discussion, non-food related, the only polybagged comic I'm aware that I have submitted was Ghostrider 28 for the Kubert sig series a couple months ago. I opened it and removed from the polybag myself and sent in. "Polybag Removed" is noted on the label. 

Well the reason I asked these questions is that.

People, who don't know, think that "Polybagged version" is somehow worth more than the non-Polybagged version based on what I can see from eBay sales even though they were all polybagged.

The ones that are labeled "Polybag" seem to fetch more money which shouldn't really be the case (In the case of Spider-man #1 McFarlane.. yes but not in this case).

On 3/7/2022 at 2:28 PM, Lazyboy said:

(shrug)

No.

You shouldn't care about anything CGC puts on the label that doesn't serve to properly identify the item, other than their grade.

Next time, choose a name that doesn't make me hungry!