• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

high grade Xmen 129 - 9.4 to 9.8. How do I insure and which level to pick?

11 posts in this topic

Hi 

I’m about to send in a high grade xmen 129. The grade is too close to call. I’m sending for press too. The swing in value from 9.4 to 9.8 is so much. $800-$5000

-would you insure this as $5000 ? 

- would you submit it alone under Express hoping for the best value hence shortening the waits too ? 

I’m pretty set on just letting cgc do the press I live in Canada and don’t know anyone or comfortable with all that shipping etc . 

Ya, how do I know it’s even worth $5000 what if it’s worth 9.4 $800. What if I send it express or WT on its own, pay extra shipping and it’s a 9.4 what a waste. 
what would you guys do? 

On 2/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, tonybalazs said:

Poek that’s a good way of thinking about it, but don’t I have to choose it’s value and level when sending it in ? Standard,exp, or WT 

Think of it as replacement value. Then send it in at the tier that you'd have it insured for.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:39 PM, tonybalazs said:

Hi 

I’m about to send in a high grade xmen 129. The grade is too close to call. I’m sending for press too. The swing in value from 9.4 to 9.8 is so much. $800-$5000

-would you insure this as $5000 ? 

- would you submit it alone under Express hoping for the best value hence shortening the waits too ? 

You forgot to add in a key third point point here:

-  submit it with half of a discontinued $1,000 bill along with a note saying they'll get the other half of the $1,000 bill if it comes back encased in a slab with the "right" grade.  lol  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, tonybalazs said:

Poek that’s a good way of thinking about it, but don’t I have to choose it’s value and level when sending it in ? Standard,exp, or WT 

If I was 50/50 on two tiers, I would personally choose the less expensive the two.  On a NMish 129, I'd just go with Standard and let CGC sort it out.  (Unless the turnaround time is important to you.)

Bare in mind that cgc has been known  to up a tier if insured tiered too low.

But NOT  vice versa

On 2/28/2022 at 6:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Think of it as replacement value. Then send it in at the tier that you'd have it insured for.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Thanks, great answers so far.  I’m just finding it so hard to decide . Cost me extra $100 to send xp but saves 100 days wait …. They Might bump me up and charge that anyway… 

On 2/28/2022 at 6:26 PM, tonybalazs said:

Thanks, great answers so far.  I’m just finding it so hard to decide . Cost me extra $100 to send xp but saves 100 days wait …. They Might bump me up and charge that anyway… 

Also bare in mind that your usually charged before slabbing, so If they bumped it, it would be based on raw conditions imo.

So they're not so harsh, but it sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into quicker tat, which may be a bigger issue.

Usually replacement cost of what fmv could be considered is decent, try gocollect if you want an average of the past 90 days.

It's not an exact science either way, which is why we too are struggling. without asking probing questions we cant know lol