• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing A Book With A Printer Crease
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have a very nice looking Conan The Barbarian 33, probably at least a 9.2 with a press.  On both front and back there is one  hard to notice printer crease.  Each one is about three inches long and neither one breaks color.  I understand the printer creases are not considered defects and should not affect the 9.2 grade.  But the comic would benefit from a press to get rid of two light depressions that do not break color.  Will this press ok without making the printer creases break color?  Do I need to include any special instructions maybe?  Thanks!

I suppose I'll be the contrarian voice here.   And I do point out spots on clothes sent to the dry cleaners :D  Not wrinkles though. 

A person good at their craft of pressing books probably does not need defects to be pointed out. But it doesn't hurt if the owner of the book does such. Some people like to feel more involved in the clean/press process - and pointing out the defects they see increases their confidence that those defects will be addressed. So IMHO pressing services should cheerfully say "thank you" for a post it note or brief description of the defects they see on a book. Occasionally it can lead to a discussion that helps educate as well. People will ask for things to be fixed that are not actually broken - like say fixing a spine roll that is actually a miss wrap, cleaning off dirt that is actually a stain, etc. 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:34 PM, joeypost said:

If the person doing the pressing is experienced enough, no notes would be needed. If you have to point out the defects to the person pressing the book, he probably shouldn't be working on books. 

Is that to say, then, that there are steps that need to be taken to prevent printers creases from breaking color during a press?