• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Label Modifications

472 posts in this topic

No one has said that PLODS should sell for the same price as blue labels. Literally, NO ONE.
Jeff, I agree. No one has PUBLICLY said that.

But can you visualize some dealer saying it under his breath????confused-smiley-013.gifflowerred.gif

The problem is that books with only slight resto often don't sell any better than books with moderate or extensive, when clearly a book with a small tear seal is not in the same category as a book with major piece replacement.

Then why is everyone so hellbent on getting rid of the PURPLE label and the CGC RESTORED notation? All that info could easily be displayed on the current design, and without the need to screw up the CGC color-coded standards that have been in place for six years.

Not that you need me to tell you this, but some people feel that the purple label is part of the problem. That some collectors lump all restored books together, regardless of the level of resto. The thinking is that even if you bring in the 10-point scale, some collectors won't look past the purple label to view the scale, just as they haven't looked past the label to see if a book has slight, moderate, or extensive resto.

No one has said that PLODS should sell for the same price as blue labels. Literally, NO ONE.
Jeff, I agree. No one has PUBLICLY said that.

But can you visualize some dealer saying it under his breath????confused-smiley-013.gifflowerred.gif

Sure, but I can imagine that if the books are raw, if the books are in different colored labels, or in the same colored labels. That's always a possibility, regardless of what CGC does or doesn't do.

Speculators, investors and "best of breed" collectors have driven the recent CGC price explosion, and NONE of these big money players will ever view a "worked on/less than perfect" comic with anything but disdain.

So deal with it.

Then why not put all the info on the new labels on or purple label or add split them in to 3 other colors with Purple as the base? Purple/Blue(slight), Purple/Green(Mod), or Purple/yellow(extensive) etc. The answer, that info is already on the label. If a person is not willing to read the label then you are going to have the same problem as before.

Then why not put all the info on the new labels on or purple label or add split them in to 3 other colors with Purple as the base? Purple/Blue(slight), Purple/Green(Mod), or Purple/yellow(extensive) etc. The answer, that info is already on the label. If a person is not willing to read the label then you are going to have the same problem as before.

You don't read blue labels?

Speculators, investors and "best of breed" collectors have driven the recent CGC price explosion, and NONE of these big money players will ever view a "worked on/less than perfect" comic with anything but disdain.

So deal with it.

So you're saying that every move CGC makes should be directed towards "speculators, investors, and best of breed collectors?"

The problem is that books with only slight resto often don't sell any better than books with moderate or extensive, when clearly a book with a small tear seal is not in the same category as a book with major piece replacement.

Then why is everyone so hellbent on getting rid of the PURPLE label and the CGC RESTORED notation? All that info could easily be displayed on the current design, and without the need to screw up the CGC color-coded standards that have been in place for six years.

Not that you need me to tell you this, but some people feel that the purple label is part of the problem. That some collectors lump all restored books together, regardless of the level of resto. The thinking is that even if you bring in the 10-point scale, some collectors won't look past the purple label to view the scale, just as they haven't looked past the label to see if a book has slight, moderate, or extensive resto.

So apparently the collector can't look past the purple label enough to read about the difference in restoration and make their own decision. However, when various people feel that converting purple labels to blue may confuse the issue you tell us that it's our own fault for not reading the label? confused-smiley-013.gif You can't have your cake and eat it too. 893naughty-thumb.gif

So apparently the collector can't look past the purple label enough to read about the difference in restoration and make their own decision. However, when various people feel that converting purple labels to blue may confuse the issue you tell us that it's our own fault for not reading the label? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I don't know if it's the way you worded your post, or the fact that I haven't had lunch yet, but I have no idea what you're saying here. I certainly don't remember telling anyone that any of this is their fault. confused.gif

So deal with it.

So you're saying that every move CGC makes should be directed towards "speculators, investors, and best of breed collectors?"

No, I am saying that people like Berk should stop whining about low prices for restored books, and then trying to change CGC's business practices to change it.

The people driving the nosebleed unrestored CGC prices do not buy less-than-perfect comics, so nothing will change in terms of overall restored prices, it'll just pizz a lot of current Blue Label buyers off.

So apparently the collector can't look past the purple label enough to read about the difference in restoration and make their own decision. However, when various people feel that converting purple labels to blue may confuse the issue you tell us that it's our own fault for not reading the label? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I don't know if it's the way you worded your post, or the fact that I haven't had lunch yet, but I have no idea what you're saying here. I certainly don't remember telling anyone that any of this is their fault. confused.gif

Translated:

If you state one of the reasons to shift from Purple to Blue, is that "people don't read the label", then don't you think it's a tad disingenuous to support a "camouflaged" Blue label for restored comics?

If they didn't read it then, why would they read it now?

See, I would buy a restored comic if 1: It is Key to my Collection 2: Almost impossible to find and 3: It is the right price. Given those factors a Purple/blue/Green/argyle lable would mean nothing to me. I think those dealers with restored need to cater to the proper market. Don't try to sell to a guy who would rather have a Whiz Comics #2 in 1.0 but rather to those who are finishing their runs and can't even afford one.

Translated:

If you state one of the reasons to shift from Purple to Blue, is that "people don't read the label", then don't you think it's a tad disingenuous to support a "camouflaged" Blue label for restored comics?

Not disingenuous at all. People weren't reading PURPLE labels. I think everyone reads blue labels.

The people driving the nosebleed unrestored CGC prices do not buy less-than-perfect comics, so nothing will change in terms of overall restored prices, it'll just pizz a lot of current Blue Label buyers off.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that this move is to get the people "driving the nosebleed unrestored CGC prices" to buy restored books.

one of the main reasons defenders of this change touted in the months prior to the release of the new labels was that the Purple colour "stigmatised" the book by being different.

i am failing to see how differentiating the bulk of the label in any way will alleviate this particular concern, even if i agree with Red's design modification suggestion.

And that's the whole point. The market decided that PLOD books weren't worth the same price as Blue labels. So trying to fix the "stigma" that is associated with PLOD books is half-arsed backwards. It's like being disappointed that used cars don't get the same value as new cars so the solution of placing used and new cars in the same car lot can only be meant to confuse the issue enough to possibly get just one more sell out of the customer.

The market has spoken on PLODs. I guess various individuals weren't happy about that. yeahok.gif

Examples? Links?

I agree with this. If the problem is that restored books sell the same no matter what is on them, how is going to a 10 point scale going to improve the problem?

There were three scales already (slight, moderate, extensive).

Can't people reach the conclusion that there is less of a market for CGC restored books?

So deal with it.

I think this move does cater to the uninformed specaulators and investors.

Translated:

Not disingenuous at all. People weren't reading PURPLE labels. I think everyone reads blue labels.

Are you really saying that? I give people alot more credit than that, the eternal optimist I must be I guess.

It's one thing to read the label, and another to understand what you're reading. I'll be the guy in the stall next to CGC's, selling the decoder rings for the new labels. Reminds me of the "tootsie-frootsie ice cream" scene in A Day At The Races... "the racing guide is a dollar, and that'll be another dollar for the book that tells you how to read the racing guide."

What information about the book's condition are we supposed to read today? CGC removed the label notes and the alpha grades?

Do you even buy CGC comics?