• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink Bidding Change??
1 1

14 posts in this topic

So, kinda $#^#ed off on losing an auction. I had thought when bidding on Comiclink, when outbid, auction was extended like 15 minutes or so, now it appears to be like 15 seconds. @$@^#$@$%@$

Am i wrong about this, if not, when was the change?

I don't remember having to worry about sniping before on Comiclink. Live and learn.

Perhaps I'm just crazy

On 3/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, mattn792 said:

Pedigree is the only site I can think of that extends bidding like that (extra 5 minute window gets added I believe), but I don’t think ComicLink has ever had that feature.

Although they don't sell as many comics as some of the other auction houses, Goldin has a weird and frustrating extended bidding system.  

You have to qualify for "extended bidding" on each item by placing at least one bid on it before the auction ends.

Then.....when the auction ends.....if more than one bidder has placed an earlier bid for the item, it enters the "extended bidding" period.  This extends the auction by 30 minutes.  Each additional bid on the item will extend it by an another 30 minutes.  This means that an auction for any given item could easily extend for hours past it's original ending time if you have at least two people willing to drag it out.

Edited by Domo Arigato

Of the Big 3 comics auction houses (Heritage, ComicConnect and ComicLink) only ComicConnect has used the extended bidding process. Their terms:

"Any new bid placed during the final 3 minutes of a given auction lot will extend the lot's end-time in an increment of 3 minutes from the time the bid was placed"

Heritage is traditional style auctioneer back and forth bidding

ComicLink is technically ebay-style bidding (last bid when clock runs out)

ComicConnect is a concept I first saw used in comics auctions by Jon Warren in the 1990s, with his American Collectibles Exchange auctions. It was a concept used by some various collectibles outlets conducting auctions, in the pre-internet era of phone auctions

On 3/5/2022 at 5:33 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 3/4/2022 at 11:51 PM, mattn792 said:

Pedigree is the only site I can think of that extends bidding like that (extra 5 minute window gets added I believe), but I don’t think ComicLink has ever had that feature.

Hake’s also extends bidding

As does MyComicShop.

Interesting concept. I like the ‘time added to bids’ premise. 

Bid sniping is stupid and allows for cheap tactics, even bid bots, to ruin an auction experience. 

From what I understood in traditional auctions, that’s how it was always done. You give appropriate time for counter bids. 
Maybe a 3 minute delay is excessive. I would settle for 10 second extensions to eliminate sniping bid behaviour.