• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s with all the US ONLY selling threads?
4 4

162 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2022 at 12:16 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Oh I hate that. 'I had a bad experience with an Aussie once, so I've cut them all off, sorry.' There's like 27 million of us, want to point out the offender and we'll go get him for you? Yet the idea of cutting off Americans for the sins of one seems stupid, doesn't it? 

Wankers.

Thank you!

I know. I was pretty livid. I told him it’s flat out discrimination but I mean, pft, what’s it get me? Nothing. Not my book, that’s for sure lol

On 3/10/2022 at 12:44 PM, GACollectibles said:

I believe it's an extra 1.5% on top of your PP G&S fee for any cross border payment

4.5%?  I just checked my PayPal and Canadians apparently pay the same.

On 3/10/2022 at 10:55 AM, Joshua33 said:

Yo, I'll take 18 half eaten cheeseburgers, nomsayin?

There's 2 things mawfks gotta know about J to the R-O-C.  I spin more rhymes than a lazy susan and I'm innocent until my guilt is proven.  

Just to throw my 2 cents in here, as a Canadian buyer and seller, I have always been willing to pay whatever the shipping charges are.  I pay extremely quick, and I take whatever responsibility I need to.  I never complain over how long it takes.  I think ANY seller off these boards that I have purchased from would vouch for me to this regard. As a seller (5000+ feedback on ebay), I wait in lines too, fill out customs forms and find the cheapest options for the buyers.  

I get it if you don’t want to drive to a post office 30 minutes away…but know that I regularly have seen something I was about to claim only to see US buyers only.  You are losing sales.  To each their own, but a lot of us Canadians are willing to pay and are very patient.  I know that some like @lizards2 has been willing to let me ship there, but it does leave a sour taste when I have to jump through hoops just to get a comic across the border.  The comic community is shrinking… don’t you want to make those connections?

Sidenote, if you are selling heavier items, UPS is the way to go if you are willing to use it. @jbud73 tracked down rates once in a sale, and it was greatly appreciated!

On 3/10/2022 at 9:54 AM, october said:

Jim Lahey was always my favorite. Best on-screen drunk of all time. 

No love for big gut shirtless Randy? 😆 

Honestly what's not to love??

Screenshot_20220312-130906.png

Edited by Jordysnordy

Obviously it's easier and cheaper for us to ship domestic and in my last sales thread I had only 1 Canadian buyer (Grant). It's not so much more work for me to ship to US boardies as I  was lucky enough to find a shipping service that physically drives my parcels into the US and then ships them via USPS. All I need to do is package everything and print out the PayPal payment for each parcel and hand it off to them. No customs papers or anything to fill out plus US boardies get the benefit of paying much cheaper shipping rates and usually faster shipping.

Edited by Jordysnordy

"Ya need to go on the Canada post website and fill out the forms to send to the States"

"Oh"

"Thats ok, hun. Ill do it this time, but next time ya have to go to the website before you come here"

"K"

The last 10 times I've gone to the post office......

Although, I think she's recognized me now, the last time was very curt and she scowled.

On 3/12/2022 at 2:48 PM, Ryan. said:

I don't think this is accurate. 

Well, that isn’t the main point being discussed anyways, so I am good with that. However, I have seen many comics that have gone unsold here on the boards that it would make sense to open it up to a greater audience (Canada isn’t that far!). So, they are shrinking this community to the detriment of potential sales.

On 3/9/2022 at 3:28 AM, october said:

I stopped international shipments due to Covid, then kept it up after I moved an extra 30 minutes from the local PO. I have two young kids and a full time career and it was too time consuming to handle the customs forms, post office lines, shipping delays and other general BS for 5-15 international boxes I would get per thread. I don't like disappointing people, but I don't see my policy changing anytime soon. 

As much as, being Italian, I admit this is something which quite puts me off, on the other hand I fully see the reasons for doing this. Going to Post Offices can be indeed very time consuming.
Thank God, I have been able to arrange a way to mail books internationally without spending time, except the few minutes to compile the custom forms. It’s also no longer convenient to have direct shipments to Italy, unless either the monetary amount or the number of books justifies this. I purchased a good batch of books from Jordysnordy recently (over 40) and I could have asked him to check how much the cost would have been from Canada to Italy (it should not have been so much higher compared to USA) but in the end I preferred to have them mailed to a friend in USA which helps me with shipments.

At any rate, it would still be great to have sales threads from all over the world. I recall recently there was a russian collector with good books that I crossed but I have not had the opportunity to stumble in one of his sales threads so far. :)

On 3/12/2022 at 9:03 PM, habsfan1 said:

Well, that isn’t the main point being discussed anyways, so I am good with that. However, I have seen many comics that have gone unsold here on the boards that it would make sense to open it up to a greater audience (Canada isn’t that far!). So, they are shrinking this community to the detriment of potential sales.

I will always sell to Canadians. :foryou:
Well, actually I will always sell to whichever country you’re in, assumed you pay the postage! :D

On 3/10/2022 at 8:00 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

4.5%?  I just checked my PayPal and Canadians apparently pay the same.

International transactions from Italy to abroad are 5.4% in PayPal fees. I think it’s the same for all of us here in Europe.
eBay for international transactions sucks about a 17% — that’s nasty, considered that if I sell within Italy on eBay.it it charges about a 10%.