• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

% of 9.8's dropping to 9.6 after signature

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

Searched around the forum and lots of stories of books dropping after a signature.  I know it totally depends on the signee and how rough they are with the books, etc. - but looking for some feedback on a very high level on some of you larger submitters, wanted to get a sense if you've submitted over 100 9.8's to various artists/writers over the years, what would you say is your average return rate of a 9.6 (or lower)?  (from a book previously graded 9.8)

Just a important piece of info I'd like to add to my calculus when making these decisions.

I want to preface this by saying my SS experience is from 2007-2016.  I was involved in a couple thousand books getting signed and slabbed, as a consumer for myself and also as a witness, for facilitators and independently by contract back when that was a thing.

I had no more than 20 or so grade drops. Most of those were from accidentally mishandling books, on my part or on the part of the talent - not from anything CGC did.  In those days, QC issues were, honestly, few and far between. My generation invented and perfected the window bag, we handled the books with care and the process for turning books in was nailed down - it was pretty similar to blue labels except we had all the signed paper work for the SS program. That was when all SS work was outsourced to facilitators.  I am also mindful of the fact that I was very vocal about promoting the idea that CGC should take control of its SS brand and I don't look particularly smart in that light as of today.

What I am reading with CGC bringing all of these signings in house and the horror stories that constantly come up with the inner well, foreign objects and post-grading slab damage, makes it seem like any evidence from the "old days" is not really very helpful.

I wanted to give this history so you understand that some of the advice may be from people whose experience was more like mine.  Were I you, I would want to talk to people who have done high volume in the last two years. 

Good luck, my friend.

I’ve had, seen, and heard of drops, but it’s usually been around 1 for every 5 or so. 

This was before CGC cracked down and started grading harder. 

Now you submit at your own risk. 

And yes, CGC has absolutely been grading harder within the last year. 

Well I can say from my experience in the past two years of sending quite a few to the in house series, the one slabbed 9.8 I sent came back 9.8. A couple of 9.6's I sent came back the same while others of lower grades benefitted from pressing and had grade bumps. But I have benefitted from a few raws coming back 9.8 also. (Fingers crossed) only one has dropped in grade. That said, it's always a gamble.

In general, you’re more likely to hear about grade drops, similar to how customer service hears more about problems.

So it’s somewhat anecdotal.  And even if the sheer number of complaints for grade drops, it may still depend on total submissions.  If the absolute number of grade drops is higher but the number of submissions has increased by an even larger percentage….well you get it.

But we’re generally not privy to either side of the equation, and Cgc has literally no incentive to disclose (if they could even track it).

suffice it to say, don’t submit if you can’t risk a grade drop

I've had two grade changes between signings:
One went from 9.6 (after 6 sigs and two sketches) to a 9.8 after adding 1 more signature.
It was a strong 9.6 and upon second grading caught the good side of the coin toss.

The other went from a 9.6 universal to a 9.4 after the signature.
It was a weak 9.6 and honestly should have always been a 9.4...