• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about The Punisher's logo change...why?
4 4

195 posts in this topic

Preface: As always, please do not introduce politics...

After reading today's Punisher #1 (first series since November 2020) and seeing his new 'logo' I got to wondering why was it changed / retired.
They did a 'good' job in-story to show why he has the new one, but is it more than that?
Did Disney / Marvel dictate the change?

Do you think he will eventually go back to the old one?
Should he?

Marvel has trademarked the new logo as follows:
"The mark consists of a stylized design of a human skull with a horn design crossing the skull and extending upward from each side of the skull, with curved, pointed tusks extending from and away from each side of the jaw area." while the sign in the areas "Bones, human ; Human skeletons, parts of skeletons, bones, skulls ; Skulls, human" and "Devils ; Horns, persons having" and trademarking it for everything under the sun, including for this festive time of year, "paper party favors; paper party hats; Christmas stockings; Christmas tree ornaments and decorations; snow globes"

Writer Jason Aaron says:
"So many different groups have tried to appropriate the Punisher's symbol and write their own story of what that symbol means, to match whatever their agenda. But they don't get to define the story of this character. And it's the character of Frank Castle that I'm interested in. His story has always been a dark and twisted tragedy, about a man consumed by war, for better or worse, no matter what sort of shirt he wears. And that's exactly the kind of story we're telling here."

source:
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-punisher-gets-a-new-devil-skull-logo-for-2022/

On 3/9/2022 at 10:27 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Someone else posted this in a different thread a while ago, so I give them the credit for pointing it out (I just can't remember who posted it) - but the new Punisher logo looks a bit like this:

peacemaker.thumb.jpg.ec0903f0ed6c49fb49a86e45df90d013.jpg

Kind of ironic...

I think the new logo looks like it would be some type of Predator skull or something.

This is SO funny.
I now wonder if DC / James Gunn was trolling Marvel before the release of the new Punisher series.
And yes, it is ironic.
No spoilers for those that haven't seen Peacemaker.

Honestly, I feel like in the end of this story he should just end up with no logo because the new one is ugly.
I wonder how Disney / Marvel feels because they will lose out on a potential merchandising revenue stream.
AND
I am positive they did this because their plethora of attorneys / PR consultants have told them it isn't worth stoking the fires by filing suit against those creating unlicensed goods based on the original skull image...