• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about The Punisher's logo change...why?
4 4

195 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2022 at 11:33 AM, october said:

What they did to his character was the definition of watering him down....in addition to making zero sense. The show was an indefensible disaster, aside from the two Mandalorian episodes. 

Made perfect sense to me, and I rather enjoyed the series. Thankfully, art is entirely subjective.

No problem with the change.  I have a problem with the design.  But put it to the hands of the right artist (somebody like Jim Lee...yes, I know he no longer works for Marvel) they can make anything look good.

***As to why they did it...how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

On 3/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

No problem with the change.  I have a problem with the design.  But put it to the hands of the right artist (somebody like Jim Lee...yes, I know he no longer works for Marvel) they can make anything look good.

***As to why they did it...how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Saved you a google. /s
https://tootsie.com/howmanylick-experiments

On 3/10/2022 at 11:49 AM, october said:

The central conceit of the entire show makes no sense. He wants to be a crime lord on Tattoine. Why? He doesn't want to commit crimes, doesn't act like he wants the job, or even understand what it entails. What we do get is him wandering around unarmed and without a helmet, letting people go who tried to murder him literally minutes earlier and generally getting his butt kicked it every encounter. 

It's all just lame windowdressing so that Disney can parade out the rancor and whatever other silly fan service garbage they throw at us instead of a coherent plot.  

Crime lord? Not really. In fact, he was trying to weed out crime. As for getting beaten at every encounter, you seem to have watched a different show than I did. Like I said, the plot made perfect sense to me and even if you didn't like it, many others like myself did. This kind of fan baggage and presumptions as to what a character should be, particularly one that has been around for awhile, is exactly the kind of thing that turns me off discussing Star Wars with the fandom. Just negative all the time.

On 3/10/2022 at 11:53 AM, Lord Gemini said:

Crime lord? Not really. In fact, he was trying to weed out crime. As for getting beaten at every encounter, you seem to have watched a different show than I did. Like I said, the plot made perfect sense to me and even if you didn't like it, many others like myself did. This kind of fan baggage and presumptions as to what a character should be, particularly one that has been around for awhile, is exactly the kind of thing that turns me off discussing Star Wars with the fandom. Just negative all the time.

He took over Jabba's position as crime lord. He wasn't the mayor, he wasn't an elected politician, he was a crime lord. I don't blame you for being confused on this point though, as like I said, it made no sense. 

It's not "presuptions of what a character should be"....it's what the character actually was immediately before the events of the show. :facepalm: 

On 3/10/2022 at 11:24 AM, october said:

Moving away from the original symbol was inevitable given it's use by certain groups. Honestly though, I'm shocked that Disney/Marvel isn't just shelving the character permanantly. The parent company's obvious reluctance to glorify any kind of hero who operates in a grey area is already pretty clear. Boba Fett anyone? The bounty hunter "crime lord" who wouldn't extract protection money, deal drugs, dispose of rivals, kill people who actively tried to kill him, or engage in any behavior at all that could be considered....you know....criminal? 

Expect more of these sort of softened, watered down character potrayals. A LOT MORE. 

I don't know why "they" (whoever they is) decided to change Boba Fett from a bounty hunter into a benevolent governor, but in terms of gray areas, I did see the Mando decapitate someone b/c he was paid to.

Consistency matters when it comes to characterization. The Book of Boba Fett was/is inconsistent with the audience's understanding of him as a character. Does that remind you of a different bastardization in recent Star Wars history?

You can do different and/or new things with old characters, but they must makes sense from a character and storytelling standpoint. The Dark Knight Returns is an "Elseworlds" story that fit the mold of Batman, which is why it works. The Last Jedi basically rebuked the entire character of Luke Skywalker, which is why it didn't work.

On 3/10/2022 at 12:00 PM, manetteska said:

I don't know why "they" (whoever they is) decided to change Boba Fett from a bounty hunter into a benevolent governor, but in terms of gray areas, I did see the Mando decapitate someone b/c he was paid to.

Someone on IMDB said that "they" already gave Boba Fett's personality to Mando, which is why they went a different direction with the character. Makes as much sense as any other explanation. 

On 3/10/2022 at 11:59 AM, october said:

He took over Jabba's position as crime lord. He wasn't the mayor, he wasn't an elected politician, he was a crime lord. I don't blame you for being confused on this point though, as like I said, it made no sense. 

It's not "presuptions of what a character should be"....it's what the character actually was immediately before the events of the show. :facepalm: 

I'm not confused. You have no idea what Jabba's position entailed. Just because he chose to go down a route of crime doesn't mean Boba Fett had to, and there was nothing contradictory in how Boba Fett was portrayed.

On 3/10/2022 at 12:03 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Consistency matters when it comes to characterization. The Book of Boba Fett was/is inconsistent with the audience's understanding of him as a character. Does that remind you of a different bastardization in recent Star Wars history?

You can do different and/or new things with old characters, but they must makes sense from a character and storytelling standpoint. The Dark Knight Returns is an "Elseworlds" story that fit the mold of Batman, which is why it works. The Last Jedi basically rebuked the entire character of Luke Skywalker, which is why it didn't work.

Not inconsistent at all unless you're counting a bunch of EU books that are no longer canon.

On 3/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, lostboys said:

Well we better hope certain groups dont decide Spideys logo is the way to go next, huh?

:ohnoez:

They don't want Spidey's symbol to go away, just Parker himself. :cry:

On 3/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, october said:

I don't think it's unreasonable of me to think a crime lord position would require an interest in crime. lol

Sometimes it's best to just admit a story you liked could have been better, rather than twisting an argument into a logical pretzel to make a nonexistent point. 

Sometimes it's best to just not argue with whiny Star Wars fans who throw tantrums when characters and stories don't go their way. Lesson learned.