• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about The Punisher's logo change...why?
4 4

195 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2022 at 6:16 PM, darkstar said:

Star Wars fans have presumptions about those characters because you know they've been following them for decades. Who those characters are has kind of, just a little bit, already been established. With a little common sense it is real easy to understand why fans get so irritated about this when say Luke Skywalker shows up in the new movies and he is totally unrecognizable, and I'm not talking about his appearance, to the character the fanbase knew from before. Regarding Boba Fett, Disney shot themselves in the foot by bringing back the 60 year old Morrison instead of recasting the character and using someone whose age is inline with how old the character is in the Star Wars universe, which is decades younger than the actor. Boba Fett is arguably the most profitable character in the history of pop culture compared to how little said character was used in the original IP. The idea that Disney could somehow release a television show starring Fett that at best earned mixed reviews would at one time be considered incomprehensible, but when looking at how poorly Disney handled original trilogy characters in their movies, it is all too understandable. Fans wanted to see Boba Fett the ruthless bounty hunter, something that would still be possible despite the passage of time in universe and the character's motivations changing, but what they got was a boomer cosplayer using his iconic helmet like a candy bucket on Halloween.  

This long-time fan enjoyed Boba Fett the way he was portrayed. This long-time fan also enjoyed "The Last Jedi". Get over it.

On 3/10/2022 at 8:28 PM, Lord Gemini said:

This long-time fan enjoyed Boba Fett the way he was portrayed. This long-time fan also enjoyed "The Last Jedi". Get over it.

There is nothing for me to get over. I was merely informing you of a commonly held opinion among many fans since you were apparently unaware of it. Also your singular opinion is anecdotal and therefore largely meaningless and your response to my sound position effectively amounts to taking your ball and going home. Why so pissy?

On 3/10/2022 at 8:57 PM, darkstar said:

There is nothing for me to get over. I was merely informing you of a commonly held opinion among many fans since you were apparently unaware of it. Also your singular opinion is anecdotal and therefore largely meaningless and your response to my sound position effectively amounts to taking your ball and going home. Why so pissy?

I'm well aware of fans holding the opinion you mentioned. I give their opinion all the worth it deserves. None. And your position being sound is itself an opinion.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 3/10/2022 at 9:21 AM, Mmanick said:

No, he’s a hero who kills bad guys and hurts bad people who prey on those who can’t defend themselves like his wife and child who were gunned down in a park. (thumbsu

I dunno...there's a lot of that going on in the issue.

IMG_5791-1024x616.jpg

IMG_5792-1024x399.jpg

IMG_5794-1024x962.jpg

On 3/10/2022 at 9:00 PM, Lord Gemini said:

I'm well aware of fans holding the opinion you mentioned. I give their opinion all the worth it deserves. None. And your position being sound is itself an opinion.

Perhaps instead of being dismissive you could point out the faults with what I wrote and we could actually have a discussion. Would love to hear your argument about how the original trilogy characters are at recognizable in the most recent movies and the tv shows. The re-introduction of Luke in Last Jedi is a nonsensical, failed instance of bathos that would make anyone familiar with the character ask themselves wtf they were watching. It was so poorly done and negatively viewed that they had to write a scene in the next movie where the character apologized for doing it. Fett's appearances in the Mandalorian and his scene teasing the Book of Boba Fett were inline with his character from the original trilogy but then you have the actual Book of Boba Fett wherein his actions are totally unrecognizable. Disney literally teased at him becoming a crime lord and then gave us a show wherein he adheres to diplomacy and befriends a local band of teenagers. 

On 3/10/2022 at 9:21 PM, darkstar said:

Perhaps instead of being dismissive you could point out the faults with what I wrote and we could actually have a discussion. Would love to hear your argument about how the original trilogy characters are at recognizable in the most recent movies and the tv shows. The re-introduction of Luke in Last Jedi is a nonsensical, failed instance of bathos that would make anyone familiar with the character ask themselves wtf they were watching. It was so poorly done and negatively viewed that they had to write a scene in the next movie where the character apologized for doing it. Fett's appearances in the Mandalorian and his scene teasing the Book of Boba Fett were inline with his character from the original trilogy but then you have the actual Book of Boba Fett wherein his actions are totally unrecognizable. Disney literally teased at him becoming a crime lord and then gave us a show wherein he adheres to diplomacy and befriends a local band of teenagers. 

Or I could just ignore you and enjoy what I enjoy without wasting time defending something that is entirely subjective. I'll go with that.

On 3/10/2022 at 9:20 PM, awakeintheashes said:

IMG_5791-1024x616.jpg

IMG_5792-1024x399.jpg

IMG_5794-1024x962.jpg

Now I'm curious.  You don't see a lot of dudes in an Armani suit wearing a Spartan helmet.

On 3/10/2022 at 10:11 AM, Lord Gemini said:

Sometimes it's best to just not argue with whiny Star Wars fans who throw tantrums when characters and stories don't go their way. Lesson learned.

I just wish they'd put the same energy into making up new stories of their own. What a world of wonder this would be!

As for the Punisher logo change, anyone who doesn't like it can just skip the new stuff. If enough do, maybe Marvel will change it back, or even stop publishing the character entirely. (Maybe getting this new version canceled is the goal of those people, who can say?) Regardless, there's nearly 50 years of stories with the old logo to read (or re-read) as consolation. I like the Frank Miller and Garth Ennis stories the most, personally.

On 3/10/2022 at 9:42 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Or I could just ignore you and enjoy what I enjoy without wasting time defending something that is entirely subjective. I'll go with that.

You're posting on a discussion board responding to what other users have written. Isn't the point to actually have a discussion? If you aren't interested in reading and responding to what other user's have to say, then why are you even posting at all? You liked the new Star Wars, who cares, if that is all you are willing to write then there is nothing to talk about. 

On 3/10/2022 at 11:13 PM, Axe Elf said:

Now I'm curious.  You don't see a lot of dudes in an Armani suit wearing a Spartan helmet.

According to an article / interpretation by Bleeding Cool the Spartan Helmet group is meant to refer to a group / business called Molon Labe.
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-vs-molon-labe-over-punisher-skull-trademark/

On 3/10/2022 at 9:42 PM, Lord Gemini said:

On 3/11/2022 at 6:00 AM, darkstar said:

You're posting on a discussion board responding to what other users have written. Isn't the point to actually have a discussion? If you aren't interested in reading and responding to what other user's have to say, then why are you even posting at all? You liked the new Star Wars, who cares, if that is all you are willing to write then there is nothing to talk about. 

He's a proud graduate of the Eric Cartman School of Debating.

Screw You Guys Im Going Home GIF - Screw You Guys Im Going Home Cartman -  Discover & Share GIFs

On 3/11/2022 at 3:11 AM, Larryw7 said:

He wasn't criticizing you, just explaining why certain fans don't like the choices Disney has made with certain characters in the Star Wars universe.

Get over yourself.

Certain fans that seem to like to speak on behalf of all fans.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:00 AM, darkstar said:

Plenty of people put their two cents in without any interest in discussing it. I'm just tired of certain Star Wars fans acting like they speak on behalf of all fans. And I'll post what I like where I like. You're free to stop responding.

I get the semantics of disliking what we believed (belief systems being one of the hardest things to change / discuss with a person as everyone's beliefs are different) to be our favorite characters changing in the Disney era.

Personally, what I think is worse than classic character portrayals is that in the sequel trilogy was the 'shrinking' of John Boyega on the Chinese poster and the quick scene of the couple embracing being removed in foreign markets.
(both of which Disney could have said no to)

Edited by Troy Division

On 3/10/2022 at 9:20 PM, awakeintheashes said:

IMG_5791-1024x616.jpg

At first glance, I thought both of the hands in this panel belonged to Punisher, which made me think, "how is he holding that sword? Did he get a new logo and a genetic modification... downstairs... ?" xD:facepalm: