• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a printing error?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Got a batch of Avengers recently and have just been going through them. My initial thought was this was sun damage but looking at the original cover I’m now wondering if it was a printing error, like a missing plate?

I’ve included a snapshot of the original cover as well as my own comic for comparison.

Any thoughts/feedback on this would be appreciated.

5AE3A620-5EED-48E1-B07D-3F63FCDE771C.jpeg

5ED943AD-6BEE-4631-B0C7-FDFB74C12E17.jpeg

On 3/10/2022 at 5:44 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's the result of sun fade Deutero - the book has spent a bit of time sunning itself in a shop window I suspect. Have a read in here, for more examples:

Thanks for the super fast response and link.

That was my original thought so I’m pleased so see my instinct was right : )

It was the blue on Vision that made me wonder but that link was spot on with the colour difference, particularly the post of Avengers 87.

On 3/10/2022 at 5:49 PM, Deutero said:

Thanks for the super fast response and link.

That was my original thought so I’m pleased so see my instinct was right : )

It was the blue on Vision that made me wonder but that link was spot on with the colour difference, particularly the post of Avengers 87.

You're welcome - the effect can be puzzling at times and inconclusive. It's why I started that thread. Even though the books are effectively damaged, some of them look eerily cool. I like anything that is different, and sometimes a sun fade can be a thing of beauty. 

The Vision has a few things going on, on his cloak. The sun fade, the strip where the sun was blocked, and in that the original colour changes.

Capture.PNG.5c511560b7059471663b8b717f4dc490.PNG

It all adds up to a puzzling effect, and makes you sort of doubt yourself. Lovely stuff :)

On 3/12/2022 at 3:40 PM, Kevin76 said:

it looks like the red plate was being cleaned on the fly, (Plate cleaner is used on a rag)  if it was a missing plate, there wouldn't be any red on the cover. This isn't a sun fade. 

???

Was the yellow plate was being cleaned on the fly at the same time? This book is obviously faded.

On 3/12/2022 at 8:13 PM, Lazyboy said:

???

Was the yellow plate was being cleaned on the fly at the same time? This book is obviously faded.

The plate cleaner takes the ink off the plate, yes it's possible the yellow plate was washed too, that's what it looks like, I wasn't working on the press when it happened haha either that it's a start up or shut down copy that got out the door.  

On 3/13/2022 at 3:08 AM, Kevin76 said:

The plate cleaner takes the ink off the plate, yes it's possible the yellow plate was washed too, that's what it looks like, I wasn't working on the press when it happened haha either that it's a start up or shut down copy that got out the door.  

I spotted the comic on eBay UK, and the back cover colouring looks normal:

av59fade.thumb.jpg.59bca052725db584610e3b0ca07491b0.jpgav59fadebc.thumb.jpg.ba4a61860d74969aeaca31da663cfdcc.jpg

Does that change your view at all Kevin?

It is weird though, isn't it when you try to work out how this was displayed so as to cause the sunlight to fade it like this.  It must have been moved and displayed in sunlight for a prolonged period in more than one place.  If you draw across it and try to figure out what was blocking the sunlight, it's not consistent, especially in the bottom right corner.  It's also weird that Hank & the Vision don't seem faded in the Ditko box, although just millimetres to the right, the red is completely washed out to pale yellow all the way to exactly the line with the Ditko box.  

That said, if you look carefully, right down the centre of the Ditko box you can see the original more magenta colour on the left and where it's faded to blue on the right. 

zrge5h455gg.jpg

zxcfesfsrgg.jpg

zxzsz.jpg

Edited by Malacoda

On 3/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, Malacoda said:

It is weird though, isn't it when you try to work out how this was displayed so as to cause the sunlight to fade it like this.  It must have been moved and displayed in sunlight for a prolonged period in more than one place.  If you draw across it and try to figure out what was blocking the sunlight, it's not consistent, especially in the bottom right corner.  It's also weird that Hank & the Vision don't seem faded in the Ditko box, although just millimetres to the right, the red is completely washed out to pale yellow all the way to exactly the line with the Ditko box.  

That said, if you look carefully, right down the centre of the Ditko box you can see the original more magenta colour on the left and where it's faded to blue on the right. 

It looks to me like it may have been in a window with individual panes like this one below, with the red bar of colour being caused by one of the cross rails:

PlaceInSpaceCentralLondon.jpg.4d5876d9fa74714822076f51dca95eaa.jpg

Who knows.

It's fun trying to work them out though - I posted this one in the Sun Fade thread:

225629777_StrangeMysteries9IW.thumb.jpg.b8275f5034c0ce0564bdd5025f21614f.jpg

Gawd knows how that effect came about hm

On 3/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It looks to me like it may have been in a window with individual panes like this one below, with the red bar of colour being caused by one of the cross rails:

PlaceInSpaceCentralLondon.jpg.4d5876d9fa74714822076f51dca95eaa.jpg

Who knows.

It's fun trying to work them out though - I posted this one in the Sun Fade thread:

225629777_StrangeMysteries9IW.thumb.jpg.b8275f5034c0ce0564bdd5025f21614f.jpg

Gawd knows how that effect came about hm

I agree that the line across the Avengers book here was the result of a window muntin. Reflected light from the precise angles involved (or window glass imperfections) is probably responsible for the weird waviness near Vision. One of the big clues, in my mind, to this being sun fade and not defective plate wiping is the Thorpe & Porter pence stamp. These were pretty much always done in black ink, but the sort of ink used for inkstamps isn't anywhere near as sun-stable as the black ink used for comics printing. Accordingly, with the upper right getting some of the worst of the sun on this book, the T&P stamp now appears more like a blue-purple rather than the presumably original black.

That Strange Mysteries is, um, a strange mystery. The bit at the left was clearly something written on the bag, like with a marker, but I have no idea how this poor comic would have had typeface text shielding the upper middle from the sun. I can't quite make out what I think that text says either, though I think it starts with an S up there between the title letters.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:05 PM, Qalyar said:

I agree that the line across the Avengers book here was the result of a window muntin. Reflected light from the precise angles involved (or window glass imperfections) is probably responsible for the weird waviness near Vision. One of the big clues, in my mind, to this being sun fade and not defective plate wiping is the Thorpe & Porter pence stamp. These were pretty much always done in black ink, but the sort of ink used for inkstamps isn't anywhere near as sun-stable as the black ink used for comics printing. Accordingly, with the upper right getting some of the worst of the sun on this book, the T&P stamp now appears more like a blue-purple rather than the presumably original black.

Most of the later T&P stamps were actually more purpley. Only the first version was that shocking black:

299629666_TP1-9Grid(Old10d).thumb.PNG.aa78d5f565aebad89199b4ce6a9f261d.png.81b6176089def9232eba338500c7578a.png 1185727250_Grid7TP1-9(OneShillingv2).PNG.de556b0c3ff1b653f93182b1e1275021.png.0e169e64f68c6f3adc9129cb8f739e6a.png

That Strange Mysteries is, um, a strange mystery. The bit at the left was clearly something written on the bag, like with a marker, but I have no idea how this poor comic would have had typeface text shielding the upper middle from the sun. I can't quite make out what I think that text says either, though I think it starts with an S up there between the title letters.

Yes, it's the combination that gets me. Written and typed lettering - hard to imagine how that came about unless the book was in a bag with both writing types blocking the sun. 

agree that the line across the Avengers book here was the result of a window muntin.

Muntin was the word I was looking for, by the way :bigsmile:

On 3/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Most of the later T&P stamps were actually more purpley. Only the first version was that shocking black:

299629666_TP1-9Grid(Old10d).thumb.PNG.aa78d5f565aebad89199b4ce6a9f261d.png.81b6176089def9232eba338500c7578a.png 1185727250_Grid7TP1-9(OneShillingv2).PNG.de556b0c3ff1b653f93182b1e1275021.png.0e169e64f68c6f3adc9129cb8f739e6a.png

Yes, it's the combination that gets me. Written and typed lettering - hard to imagine how that came about unless the book was in a bag with both writing types blocking the sun. 

Huh. Well, I stand corrected. I think I've only ever owned books with those big chonky black stamps. So yeah, when you assume... haha!

I still think that's sun fade though.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:28 PM, Qalyar said:

Huh. Well, I stand corrected. I think I've only ever owned books with those big chonky black stamps. So yeah, when you assume... haha!

I still think that's sun fade though.

Me too. A muntin mishap :)