• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the future hold to older comic's values? And does age play a factor?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I personally find this topic very interesting and one that I also practiced in firearms collecting. A good example I think is below...

• Colt single action army values range usually between $2,000 - millions right now due to supply of course but also demand. Most will fly off the market within a day of going up. However what is interesting and also a little concerning to me is that most collectors are in the age group of 50-80 years old. Also most will tell you they collect due to watching spaghetti westerns as a child. 

Now what does this have to do with comic collecting? Well alike, I look in the gold and silver age market place here and surely and rightfully so they cost a huge premium over bronze and copper, BUT what I wonder is what is the driving force of the demand and what is the age group of most of the collectors. Another factor that can't be ignored is most adults past the age of say 30 have more of a disposable income than younger for sure. But still...I have to wonder what is the future value of gold, silver, and even bronze age books might be going forward. And a final piece of the puzzle I believe is the fact that before Disney, Marvel went into bankruptcy (so what does that say for comic collecting value?). But I think the key to the answer might or has to lie with Disney and what they have brought to the table. Mainly the movies and Marvel in general going forward.

Opinions?

The MCU doesn't have much to do with incoming comic book readers. They won't be the driving force behind potential new readership.

Older comics will maintain a lot of value because of their scarcity. People like me tend to buy reprints because buying full runs is nigh-impossible.

There will be a turning point at some time in which many older collectors will try to sell around the same time, and when their prices are not consistently met, the market will dictate a downturn if not a crash. That's my prediction, anyways.

This is purely observational, but it seems to me like there are a reasonable number of younger comic collectors, or maybe they're speculators.  I see them here, but I also see them at garage and estate sales, mostly elbowing me out of the way.  My personal experience is that I bought my first Golden Age book about a year ago, even though I've been collecting off-and-on since the early 1970s.  There are no guarantees, but it seems reasonable to expect that some percentage of younger collectors who today are interested Copper or Modern books may eventually develop wider interests in the hobby.  But you're right to focus on price - if a mid-grade Silver Age ASM #44 is $20,000 sometime in the future, almost everyone may be priced out.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:52 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The MCU doesn't have much to do with incoming comic book readers. They won't be the driving force behind potential new readership.

Older comics will maintain a lot of value because of their scarcity. People like me tend to buy reprints because buying full runs is nigh-impossible.

There will be a turning point at some time in which many older collectors will try to sell around the same time, and when their prices are not consistently met, the market will dictate a downturn if not a crash. That's my prediction, anyways.

I think this. 

If you want a “bulletproof” approach, I’d advise to purchase books that are rare. 

Whatever that means. 

So whether they are rare in high grade, or rare in signature… rare in print count, whatever. But a rare, popular, desired book, will always be sought after. I think the days of collecting full runs is over. First of all, no one cares, and secondly, when a flood does eventually happen, and it will, when all the comics of the wives and sons of the deceased comic collectors hit the market, all those fill in issues are going to rot. 

Edited by D2

You guys need to go to a coin show, and see the age of the people at the shows and the prices they are paying. You will stop worrying. Just like them, most of us here will collect until the day we die, propping prices up. When your kids are middle-aged, maybe they’ll start to see prices dropping.

IMO comic values are here to stay...maybe a bit of leveling out is in order, but I didn't grow up in the 30, 40's and 50's, but yet I still go gaga over the books from that era. Sadly though, I think investor's have seen the potential in these once in a lifetime gems and I firmly believe they are not going away anytime soon which I understand will make it tougher to collect for the average Joe. Guess ya'll better load up on Fawcetts and Western photo books :cheers:

On 3/11/2022 at 8:44 AM, KCode98 said:

I personally find this topic very interesting and one that I also practiced in firearms collecting. A good example I think is below...

• Colt single action army values range usually between $2,000 - millions right now due to supply of course but also demand. Most will fly off the market within a day of going up. However what is interesting and also a little concerning to me is that most collectors are in the age group of 50-80 years old. Also most will tell you they collect due to watching spaghetti westerns as a child. 

Now what does this have to do with comic collecting? Well alike, I look in the gold and silver age market place here and surely and rightfully so they cost a huge premium over bronze and copper, BUT what I wonder is what is the driving force of the demand and what is the age group of most of the collectors. Another factor that can't be ignored is most adults past the age of say 30 have more of a disposable income than younger for sure. But still...I have to wonder what is the future value of gold, silver, and even bronze age books might be going forward. And a final piece of the puzzle I believe is the fact that before Disney, Marvel went into bankruptcy (so what does that say for comic collecting value?). But I think the key to the answer might or has to lie with Disney and what they have brought to the table. Mainly the movies and Marvel in general going forward.

Opinions?

what happens is younger collectors invariably get drawn to the most valuable books and as they age they can afford more expensive books.  I'm old but I wasnt around in the golden age but I still want them books.
There is no cause for alarm here.  Plenty of people want Action #1, and not because they have nostalgic memories of buying it off the stands.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:43 PM, Westy Steve said:

You guys need to go to a coin show, and see the age of the people at the shows and the prices they are paying. You will stop worrying. Just like them, most of us here will collect until the day we die, propping prices up. When your kids are middle-aged, maybe they’ll start to see prices dropping.

Hmmm...the only thing I will say about this, is that gold/silver/copper and other precious metals have been sought and sourced for centuries, based on usage.    Funny books about 100 years.   We can melt certain metals and make some serious weapons, bullets, make tools, fill teeth, who knows what, when the big one drops.   As for Action #1 during the Apocalypse......it can start a fire for your next meal. 

On 3/11/2022 at 11:28 PM, kav said:

what happens is younger collectors invariably get drawn to the most valuable books and as they age they can afford more expensive books.  I'm old but I wasnt around in the golden age but I still want them books.
There is no cause for alarm here.  Plenty of people want Action #1, and not because they have nostalgic memories of buying it off the stands.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:28 PM, kav said:

Same holds true with guns.

The only way I'm going to get the first appearance of Superman is with a gun in my hand!  Either me or the book will wind up slabbed!  xD