• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever Think of Selling Your Entire Collection for One Big Book?
5 5

104 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2022 at 5:49 PM, szav said:

I got to a point where I was very close to taking over a room in the house and installing heavy duty lockable cabinets to keep it a bit safer.  Naturally this didn’t make my wife happy and I didn’t feel great about it either.

This is when you tell her you're giving up comics to go into classic cars.  Of course, you'll need a workshop for repairs/renovations and a couple garages (for starters) to house them.

She'll be thrilled to talk you back into just collecting comics. :kidaround:

On 3/13/2022 at 2:20 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

If I were to die today, I guess my books would go to my mother. My father is still alive, but I have been estranged from him since I was a small child; I hope that he wouldn't have any claim on my estate just because of the biological relationship (not that he would need it; he's better off financially than I am).

There are attorneys active here on the Boards who can certainly offer a more informed opinion, but in the case of an estranged father, I think it's likely he would still have legal claim to your estate. It might be prudent to make your intentions more legally concrete.  2c

On 3/13/2022 at 5:49 PM, szav said:

Depends what you have.  I’ll throw in my vote for the positives of downsizing and going into a few dozen keys or favorites vs having a massive collection.  Not a fan of putting it all into one single book though for reasons others stated.
I got to a point where I was very close to taking over a room in the house and installing heavy duty lockable cabinets to keep it a bit safer.  Naturally this didn’t make my wife happy and I didn’t feel great about it either.

So two years ago I sold off the bulk, kept only what I truly love love loved, and sold at auction a bunch that I liked, even some that I liked a lot, had to draw a line somewhere.  I’ve since used those proceeds to buy a few awesome books I’d not have been able to afford otherwise.

I’m down to about 50 slabs, high quality by my standards and means, a few pieces of OA and a box of raw books to flip later on.. and a nice amount of money earmarked for future purchases tucked away in various investment vehicles.

I’ve been very happy with the new direction, it’s a lot more fun and convenient to have a few really nice books that are easy to store securely vs books all over. I only read reprints and digital copies anyway (blasphemy I know).

Good luck figuring it out.

Thanks. I pretty much did the same over the past 6 or 7 years. Sold all my raw stuff I had accumulated over about 15 years and used the proceeds toward cgc stuff. Well some I didn't sell, I got graded. I consider it streamlining. I've got about 150 graded books and still have about 20 on my want list.

Just to be clear I'm not seriously considering paddling out real far for that once in a lifetime wave just yet (excuse the bad analogy) , but it is something that crosses my mind a lot. I was curious if I was the only one or if anyone here has already done it. :peace:

Nope, never really gave it much thought.  Then again, I don't sell books or at least very rarely do.  I think I have probably sold less than 10, maybe 15 books ever.  The last ones I did sell were four copies of New Mutants 98 a few weeks before the Deadpool movie came out.  I had paid less than a dollar for each of them back in the mid 1990s when I bought some Wal-Mart multi-packs.  So, I had a good return on those, but I simply like having a massive collection.  I think I am somewhere between 8-10,000 books at this point.  Many of my keys are not super-high grade, but they each have a story and I view myself as the keeper of that book at present.

PDG

On 3/13/2022 at 2:20 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I guess that makes sense. I'm sure I would feel differently if I had a wife and kids. Actually, I'd feel irresponsible about collecting "niche" books if I had a family to worry about. I'd probably feel obligated to stick to books that were a little less volatile—which I guess would mean Timely and DC superhero books. Being single means it doesn't really matter what I spend/waste money on; no one is dependent upon me financially.

If I were to die today, I guess my books would go to my mother. My father is still alive, but I have been estranged from him since I was a small child; I hope that he wouldn't have any claim on my estate just because of the biological relationship (not that he would need it; he's better off financially than I am).

absent a will, he will likely have the same share as your mom.  a will with her as sole legatee should do it; can’t imagine a state having forced heirship for ascendants. 

On 3/13/2022 at 7:44 PM, Timely said:

I turned many hundreds of books in 10 Ditko ASM pages. 

7F342205-3F45-493A-AEEA-24A1C0D443D3.jpeg

1EB3D9C9-F610-4647-B74C-14051204128E.jpeg

Oh My! Incredible. 20 or so years ago I heard he may have destroyed them all. Obviously not but those are .....Wow. And the condition of them. To say "Nice Pick-up" would be the understatement of the year.

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 3/13/2022 at 9:11 AM, Turnando said:

I think that downsizing by turning a bunch of books into a few is a nice way to stay in collecting while preparing for passing your collection to your heirs.  A nice thing to do towards the end of your collecting career.

I can't imagine many heirs who would enjoy inheriting thousands of books.  But inheriting half a dozen significant books would be a different thing. 

On 3/13/2022 at 11:21 AM, Scrooge said:

I would never consider converting my collection into a single or a couple of big books.

Totally and absolutely agree with both you here, although I will qualify it a bit in terms of converting my "entire collection".  (thumbsu

I would be more than happy and totally ecstatic if I could find some "lucky buyer" to purchase 100% of all of my 80's and 90's "comic book treasures" so that I can downsize and acquire some of those overpriced smelly oldy moldy books from the GA.  lol  :takeit:

On 3/13/2022 at 3:09 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

PS—You may be the only person in the GA segment of the hobby who doesn't hate Robin.

:hi:

Edited by Larryw7