• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Cheers to Vertigo!!

11 posts in this topic

So these past two weeks I made my first entrances into the world of Vertigo. I started out in the beginning with the first TPB of Sandman. I really didn't like it. I thought it started out with a great premise, but turned too gory and depressing for my tastes. Similarly with the TPB of "Shade the Changing Man". Another overly depressing book.

Then I picked up a Withching Hour by Loeb. That I really liked. I enjoyed the original series of yore and thought that the TPB reprinting issues 1-3 was good. From there I went to the first TPB of Fables and that is where the fun really started. WOW!!! What great stuff - I thoroughly enjoyed Fables and would recommend it to everyone. I enjoyed the whole fantasty element with a great detective story interwoven. Then I picked up the 5th 100 Bullets TPB - The Counterfifth Detective. Another great read and an ending that was so fresh it reminded me of the Usual Suspects.

I have actually comlpetely stopped buying new comics less my subscriptions to Batman, Detective and JLA but am looking forward to more TPBs of Fables and 100 Bullets and plan on getting a few more Vertigo TPBs. For those of you who still read new comics, definitely worth a grab.

DAM

In the same batch I picked up "Preacher: Dead or Alive" but it seems like that just collects a few covers and goes over the art. I would like to give a read to some of the stories so I will keep a lookout for another TPB.

DAM

I picked up the first issue of the new Creeper mini yesterday. 1920's Paris, sex, violence, Hemingway, and a few other famous cameos. All in all, pretty darn good. I hope they keep it up throughout the series.

the first TPB of Sandman. I really didn't like it. I thought it started out with a great premise, but turned too gory and depressing for my tastes.

Dam60, I had the exact same experience buying the Sandman comics off the racks over a decade ago. Really liked the first few issues as a weird take-off from the DC Universe, but by the time they got to the mind-controlled scene in the restaurant, I'd had enough! But I picked it up again when Kelly Jones took over the art in time for the 3rd arc, collected in tpb form as "Dream Country." Great stuff, very Bernie Wrightson-ish! I'd suggest giving "Dream Country" or the "Doll's House" TPB (#2) a try, then "Season of Mists" (TPB #4) (if you don't mind Gaiman's Lucifer as a protaganist).

Gaiman's writing is the best comics work since Alan Moore, apart from his few missteps like the above-mentioned gory excess. Doesn't finish as strong as many of us would have liked, but it remains the high water mark of 1990's American comics.

Cheers,

Z.

Z - you are reading my mind!

but by the time they got to the mind-controlled scene in the restaurant, I'd had enough!

That really did it for me and I quickly finished the TPB. Wrightson did Swamp Thing, right? I have never really read Swamp Thing either then nor now, but it's on my list. I don't know what I am waiting for.

Thanks for the recommendations,

DAM

Run, don't walk to your local comic store and pick up ALIAS from Marvel. NOT the cheesy TV adaptation, the other one.

Other HIGHLY recommended books:

Sandman 50 - a wonderful stand alone story

Sandman 75 - last issue, just excellent

"Vamps", the over the top vampire book.

the #8 Variant version of Sandman, just curious

Actually, I don't. But I do have the mistake version of the Midsummer Night's Dream,issue with the pages out of order! crazy.gif

Cheers,

Z.

Glad to hear that you started Vertigo, Dam. Easily the best material out there. Stick w/ Sandman, if you can. The 4th Trade, "Seasons of Mist" is absolutely amazing. One of the best story arcs that I have ever read. I understand what you mean about it being depressing, but stick with it. You won't be dissappointed.

As Kev said, pick up the first Preacher trade, "Gone to Texas". You'll be hooked w/in 20 pages and you'll finish the entire series w/in a week or two. You can't put it down (unless you're easily offended or deeply religious...but remember, it's just a comic). Wildly entertaining, brutal, funny, classic characters.....I've given this book to non-comic people and they loved it!

For another great title, pick-up "Hellblazer". Try the "Dangerous Habits" TPB (Ennis's first arc on the title). Great story, and a descent starting point. All you really need to know to jump on at that point is that the main character, John Constantine, "dabbles" a bit in the "black arts" and isn't someone you would particularly like to know (he can be quite the [!@#%^&^] sometimes).

"Fables" is great. The first arc is actually, IMO, the "weakest" (if you can call it that) so far. Second story arc will blow you away, literally (as will parts of Preacher).

Don't really need to say anything about "100 Bullets" as everybody here knows how I feel about that book. Buy them all!!!!

Enjoy the Vertigo Titles. They are consistantly the best in comics.

Chris