• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much would you pay for a single page from a mega key?
4 4

49 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2022 at 5:47 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

My knee-jerk reaction was no, I wouldn't be interested.  But even though I'm a 100% Marvel guy, I gotta say that the single page from Batman #1 with the full origin told is a truly awesome collectible.  I think the Action #1 page is excellent too.

But you wouldn't be interested in the Thor origin page from Jim83 or the Xmen introduction from X1? Is it because you have / can afford the full book?

On 3/18/2022 at 6:50 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Regardless if one can afford the book or not, it is still a different thing entirely to actually see the action on a cool page rather than to be limited to the cover. I owned a Bat 1 (just sold it in CC a couple days ago), and it wasn’t enough for me. I thoroughly enjoyed having the key pages, as well: first intro of Joker, first intro of Catwoman, and Batman origin. It made for a fuller experience. And now that I’ve sold the actual book, these pages remain precious to me. 

for those of you who scoff at page ownership, I say don’t buy one

9D56437A-D46A-49A1-9330-46A714BD17CF.jpeg

AB1595A6-65C9-4FD9-BC96-126DE0088727.jpeg

The are some really iconic pages I would buy under the right circumstances. These Bat 1 pages are awesome and I would love to own them. Same with Sup stories from AC1 or Bat story pages from Tec27. 

I basically bought a Tec26 just for the banner advertisement about "the Batman coming in May" and that was just words and a little headshot. 

For SA books, I can appreciate wanting to own that first Spiderman appearance.

I could also see wanting to own the splash for TOS39. I think the splash is better than the cover. It's the one book I've thought about buying a graded coverless of. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 3/18/2022 at 7:12 AM, KCOComics said:

I could also see wanting to own the splash for TOS39. I think the splash is better than the cover. It's the one book I've thought about buying a graded coverless of. 

I don't think you're alone in that opinion -- it's an awesome splash page.  JIM 83 is pretty great too.

On 3/18/2022 at 7:12 AM, KCOComics said:

It really is the single best opening splash of all the major SA marvel key books. I bought one coverless copy but wish I jumped on them sooner as I wanted to get another one since I feel coverless copies of it (as well as single page splash) have so much room to grow (and make for some of the best display pieces ever)

On 3/17/2022 at 12:18 AM, ComicFill said:

I have plenty of friends in their 30s that can't spend $10k on an X-men 1. By the time they might be able to that book will be twice as much. It's all about timing and where you are in life. For someone starting out in collecting in their teens or 20s those silver age grails are as far away as the golden age ones probably are for you.

Very true.  A lot of young/younger collectors want a piece of history, a piece of a grail.  A slabbed interior page of a mega-key looks great in a book case as a display, and one doesn't have to be paranoid about keeping it locked up, in the darkness, and out of sight.  I also see these as decent little investments.  They're only going up in price!

Edited by zosocane

On 3/18/2022 at 9:46 AM, Sauce Dog said:

It really is the single best opening splash of all the major SA marvel key books. I bought one coverless copy but wish I jumped on them sooner as I wanted to get another one since I feel coverless copies of it (as well as single page splash) have so much room to grow (and make for some of the best display pieces ever)

I still regret not buying a coverless TOS39 that was signed by Stan for about $1k back in 2019.  I had called a dealer from the pages of Overstreet and asked how much would something like that be worth and he said I could probably sell it for $600-800.  So I passed.  

Edited by Bluemedgroup

As a primarily silver and bronze collector of marvel but a fan of batman, I felt the only thing I could get that was great enough to compare but not break the bank was some pages. I have 2 from batman 1 I want to slab someday. One is the splash and one is the final battle with joker. 20220312_205303.thumb.jpg.ad9e7b6810d97aa421cbf61ceca88388.jpg20220312_205311.thumb.jpg.64c839cf872bfe92093b37492c302814.jpg

On 3/18/2022 at 3:50 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Regardless if one can afford the book or not, it is still a different thing entirely to actually see the action on a cool page rather than to be limited to the cover. I owned a Bat 1 (just sold it in CC a couple days ago), and it wasn’t enough for me. I thoroughly enjoyed having the key pages, as well: first intro of Joker, first intro of Catwoman, and Batman origin. It made for a fuller experience. And now that I’ve sold the actual book, these pages remain precious to me. 

I had a qualified .5 with the front cover married to the interior I sold 2 years ago. Kicking myself because now page 1 and 2 alone go for more than what I got back then haha

On 3/18/2022 at 3:52 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I had a qualified .5 with the front cover married to the interior I sold 2 years ago. Kicking myself because now page 1 and 2 alone go for more than what I got back then haha

When I find that pesky time machine, I will save you a seat.  The mistakes I plan to undo are legion

On 3/18/2022 at 3:50 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I'm glad you enjoy them, and am even happier these pages found a loving home.  These are a niche in a hobby full of niches.  They aren't for me, but that just means less competition for you. 

On 3/18/2022 at 12:50 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Regardless if one can afford the book or not, it is still a different thing entirely to actually see the action on a cool page rather than to be limited to the cover.

I couldn't agree more. I have an X-men 1. But now I want to start collecting the interior pages so I can appreciate and showcase them as well.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:12 AM, KCOComics said:

Look what’s coming up in CC auction tonight. Some kid kindly added to the excitement by inventing dialog

5C34E014-5580-4F21-B5F5-B1CDD30A024E.png

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 3/18/2022 at 2:08 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think any of those are really nice.  I think the Batman one really wowed me because we're talking about the most well-known origin story in all of comics (only Spider-Man comes close in terms of penetration in the popular consciousness), pretty much exactly as it's been retold in the movies, and it's all literally there on those two pages (unlike Spider-Man where you'd need multiple pages to see the spider bite and Uncle Ben's murder and everything in between, and unlike Superman whose origin as we know it was not invented until much later).

And yes, I was also giving the special hat tip for a book I'll probably never own.  Here are my copies of the other two you mentioned.

1592726307_JourneyIntoMystery83CGC8_0a.thumb.jpg.53bf3a98a51e70e7e28f28bfd554718e.jpg

584400602_X-Men1CGC9_0a.thumb.jpg.ca92f6d9906fd30e270ad2cb59995034.jpg

That X-men 1 9.0 makes my heart skip a beat. Is that a book you got raw a long time ago? I love my collection, but my biggest books are under $15k. A $200k book blows me away. The stories behind it are always interesting to me. Amazing books.

On 3/18/2022 at 1:50 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Look what’s coming up in CC auction tonight. Some kid kindly added to the excitement by inventing dialog

5C34E014-5580-4F21-B5F5-B1CDD30A024E.png

Wow. Sold for $1,900. Wonder what it would have gone for if there was no pen on the page.