• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil V#2 #9 Guess the grade
6 6

39 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2022 at 10:59 PM, Westy Steve said:

Because it’s a modern book, I’m gonna give it a 7.5 because I think it’s really an 8.5. Just grade it like you grade a Bronze Age book and then subtract a point.

What did you see that the rest did not?? You got it spot on.

Grader notes don't seem to even be worth the $5 they charge!

On 3/22/2022 at 10:18 PM, Bayowolf said:

What did you see that the rest did not?? You got it spot on.

Grader notes don't seem to even be worth the $5 they charge!

It looks like there is a longish spine tick near the girls arm by the center of the book...It's light, but long, and I figured that would keep a bronze book out of 9.0 range, but the overall book looks great so it's an 8.5.  But I was serious when I then deducted another point because it's a modern book.  I think there is another spine tick that's even more subtle lower down on the spine.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:08 PM, Westy Steve said:

It looks like there is a longish spine tick near the girls arm by the center of the book...It's light, but long, and I figured that would keep a bronze book out of 9.0 range, but the overall book looks great so it's an 8.5.  But I was serious when I then deducted another point because it's a modern book.  I think there is another spine tick that's even more subtle lower down on the spine.

You're right to grade moderns more harshly. The opposite of a GA bump, I call it a Modern lug.

I wanted to show the tick with a picture, but my computer is stupid.  But it's just left of the girl's bracelet.  There's another one just below the lower staple.  Maybe what pulled the book down further is the rough edge of the paper on the lower right edge of the cover, but that would never pull an earlier book down as far.  "Modern Lug" is appropriate.