• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's an interesting DC promo comic from 1945

13 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2022 at 5:17 PM, Action252Kid said:

I was bidding against you on this one!  I had never seen it before either, but it's in the Price Guide under the promo section (there are a few different Comic Cavalcade giveaways listed there).  

I was really only looking at the All-American 19 in that auction.  I thought there was some other nice pieces but I didn't even know what this one was.  

It's complete and in good shape.  I wonder if I should slab it?

I find it weird that it was part of Comics Cavalcade?

Edited by gadzukes

The Southern Conference for Human Welfare ( SCHW) (1938-1948) was an organization that sought to promote New Deal -type reforms to the South in terms of social justice, civil rights, and electoral reform. It folded due to funding problems and allegations of Communist sympathies; its successor was the former sub-group the Education Fund.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:12 PM, Robot Man said:

Interesting pencil notation at bottom of last page. 

I love penciled info like that on comics.  Thanks for sharing.  Was this reprinted from the inside of a DC comic (like mine was)?

The bottom of the last page on mine has an interesting note too (that's not in the original Comics Cavalcade 9 version)

"Additional Copies $1.00 per HUNDRED from your local CO-OP...."

Wow, that's only 1c each!  There must have been a bazillion copies of this at one time.  I wonder how many are left.

IMG_0369.jpeg

IMG_0370.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

I pulled out my Cavalcade #9. Both apparently originated there. Obviously, no indication that they could be ordered as reprints. Offered by DC later as a public service thing. There are also a couple reprints in the giveaway section of Overstreet. Probably other issues of Cavalcade.

Yeah, odd there are so very few known. Probably thrown away quickly.

I know of no other copies of the one I have. I’m sure there are a few still out there. Probably a box full waiting to be discovered…