• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with a page and a Byrne FF 274 question, but also a tribute to my friend Bruce who has ALS
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I gotta say, tears may flow as a write this. I ain't no bawling baby though, this is just plain sad. And fun. And wonderful.

My friend Bruce has ALS. He has had it for a while, so he is only in control of some functions and has little or no movement other than head/speech. So yesterday I drove 90 miles each way to collect his art from him and say goodbye without saying goodbye. Hopefully I will see him shortly but he knows it is months and not years now.

Bruce was the guy in college who kept my comics love going. Bruce, Magdy, & Jim were all one year older and read comics. Randy was their 4th and he had cursory interest IIRC. But Bruce was way in. I was reading in high school but when I found these guys I learned about Watchmen (we read it as it came out along with Black Kiss, X-Men etc.) Bruce had the giant Marvel Universe poster on his dorm wall in 1986/1987 and I would stare and it as we played DOOM IV. And to think that George Perez (who I think drew the poster) and Bruce may very well enter Valhalla together...hopefully not for a long time for either one but I couldn't help make that connection as I reflect on Bruce and his love for comics.

Bruce is a FF guy first and foremost. Loves The Thing. But he loves comics of all types, which is apparent in the box I picked up from him. A few AEs, about a dozen art pieces and assorted oddities. Here are some pictures of what Bruce has and I am not holding.

Edited by Bird

And a few pages and sketches including some covers that surprised me

F1F72CE7-3EE3-4A5C-838B-9DBA00F9404E.jpeg

E04BE608-0858-4DAA-9E88-71DC37CCF8E2.jpeg

A4F60734-BA5E-411D-B87F-988DC7568D13.jpeg

1DDCE74C-C2C7-4D38-AFFC-6ECEF10BFFCC.jpeg

E93E5876-C920-4E88-ABCC-E401F3C1CC6D.jpeg

He said he had some Byrne but I expected a sketch not two pages which I think are consecutive with an ad perhaps in between? And true to form Bruce was smart enough to nail it with The Thing and "It's Clobberin' Time!!"

797120AA-6C15-49AA-BACD-72BE9A106F69.jpeg33B42862-9CB0-4166-AFCE-F648FC4BA190.jpeg

1B7BBB04-8CB1-429A-85AB-E28EF6BAFF46.jpeg

This issue is credited to Bryne and Al Gordon on msc, but that page clearly says ADKINS at the top. Can anyone offer any information regarding who done did what here? I don't do the Byrne forum so can't ask myself (or can I? It gets so weird there.)

Edited by Bird

And then this page, which he thought was from ninja high school and is page 24 as noted on the bottom of the page. But if anybody could tell me the issue or if it’s from the first series or not that would be helpful please

C5D08341-963B-4D1D-B4B2-8CCD1C83C3E2.jpeg

On 3/20/2022 at 10:45 AM, Dayzen said:

Looking at Heritage, they had a FF 274 page that had Adkins on top also. They go with Byrne and Gordon for the artists. 

I registered on Byrne Robotics but need 24 hours before I can post. It is odd. Maybe Adkins was like Picasso and signed blank pages! It is odd. It looks like the other one also may say ADKINS but it cut off.

There is a boardie who will see Byrne in the title, look at it and know. He'll see it soon enough. :wishluck: Thanks though

Edited by Bird

On 3/20/2022 at 12:23 PM, Timely said:

Nice Byrne FF pages! 

Yeah, I was surprised and then again, not surprised at all. He has a few more pages I have to log, a Cheung Illuminati dps and 4 pages inked over blueline as well as one or two others

On 3/20/2022 at 1:41 PM, Heidjer Staecker said:

He is responsive through Facebook

Thank you! I tried twitter and stopped there but will try fb now, thanks!

On 3/20/2022 at 1:41 PM, Heidjer Staecker said:

He is responsive through Facebook

turns out he has been totally hacked, that wasn't him last week more likely than not, got a warning last night and today ben dunn wants to know if I have a paypal or bank account :sumo:

On 3/20/2022 at 10:18 AM, Bird said:

And then this page, which he thought was from ninja high school and is page 24 as noted on the bottom of the page. But if anybody could tell me the issue or if it’s from the first series or not that would be helpful please

I'd have to look it up later to be sure, but I'd bet this page is from Ninja High School Yearbook 2, 1990, and is by Dave Wilson from his story "A Violent Little Yarn with No Suitable, Working Title."  The NHS Yearbook was a fan-submission series that printed early work from a lot of pros, and Dave Wilson went on the do a few miniseries for Antarctic Press such as Hitomi and her Girl Commandoes.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:24 AM, wardevil0 said:

I'd have to look it up later to be sure, but I'd bet this page is from Ninja High School Yearbook 2, 1990, and is by Dave Wilson from his story "A Violent Little Yarn with No Suitable, Working Title."  The NHS Yearbook was a fan-submission series that printed early work from a lot of pros, and Dave Wilson went on the do a few miniseries for Antarctic Press such as Hitomi and her Girl Commandoes.

Thanks for the help. VERY weird how my pal ended up with this one.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:48 AM, Bird said:

Thanks for the help. VERY weird how my pal ended up with this one.

I think Dave Wilson lives in southern NJ, so based on your location he may be local to Bruce, or maybe they met at a con at some point...?

On 3/30/2022 at 8:55 AM, wardevil0 said:

I think Dave Wilson lives in southern NJ, so based on your location he may be local to Bruce, or maybe they met at a con at some point...?

very possible

so we seem to be close to, if not at the end, of my search for answers. Very helpful, thank you all.

On 3/20/2022 at 10:18 AM, Bird said:

Interestingly, I bought this page in the most recent Heritage auction.  The buyer's premium totaled almost twice the final bid...  It's hard to tell what pages like this will sell for, but I definitely would have paid the seller more than they're going to get from Heritage.  At least this page will soon be reunited with my page 23!