• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these worth getting cleaned and pressed?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, JollyComics said:

Due to fragility, it's too much risky to damage the books.  Just leave it as is.

I agree. I would not risk it...and with the exception of a couple, a 0.5 bump is likely not worth the time, cost and potential to damage more (ie pop a staple on a book)

On 3/26/2022 at 12:13 PM, Legionsx1985 said:

I'm a total noob. 
 Would it be worth getting them encapsulated to prevent them from getting worse? 

sorry if this is a dopey question 

Your comics generally won’t get worse if stored properly.  Encapsulation isn’t a hedge against fluctuating temperatures, humidity, sunlight, etc.

On 3/27/2022 at 9:48 AM, steveinthecity said:

Your comics generally won’t get worse if stored properly.  Encapsulation isn’t a hedge against fluctuating temperatures, humidity, sunlight, etc.

"If stored properly". Yes. As long as you keep them stored. But if you want to take the books out, look at them, show them to people, encapsulation protects better than any bag / board.

If there are pieces that look like they can break off, or the spine could detach, I wouldn't risk the extra handling. Otherwise, I'm a fan of cleaning and pressing even if you DON'T get a grade bump. A cleaned and pressed 2.0 can look a WHOLE lot nicer than a not cleaned and pressed 2.0. But there is always a risk the more places you send your book.

On 3/26/2022 at 3:13 PM, Legionsx1985 said:

I'm a total noob. 
 Would it be worth getting them encapsulated to prevent them from getting worse? 

sorry if this is a dopey question 

At one time I would have agreed with these books but the current state of affairs be it a high grade Amazing Fantasy 15 or the latest Money Shot (fun book BTW) are simply no longer handled carefully. A recent AF15 was noted recently on this forum to have plastic shards inside the case.  If a high profile book like that is not treated properly without proper (or any) quality control then seems "Just give us your money and shut up" represents current day sentiment.

Edited by MAR1979