• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these worth getting cleaned and pressed?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, FrontStands said:

Maybe if you think it could bump up the grade? They are already pretty beat up so I personally wouldn't be getting them pressed, or 

Don't really know much about the process but I thought the same. I didn't know but didn't think a clean and press was worth paying out for.

Not sure if they would get a better grade which is why I asked for advice from the board.

Thanks.

I think a clean and press by a professional could help some of them. Especially the ones with spine roll.

It's very hard to determine how much it will help from those pictures and as @FrontStands said with lower grade books you take on a greater risk of damage due to handling.  

I would carefully examine each book to determine if it would be a good pressing candidate.  Look for non color breaking creases and spine roll. Explore the spine to make sure it has the structural integrity to be pressed without being damaged. 

And If you do have some good candidates, I would only recommend working with a handful of people of pressers. CCS and CFPcomics.com for example. 

Then of course, once you weigh through the risk to the book (shipping and extensive handling), the cost of the services, the extraordinary TATs (I'm up to 14 months between pressing and grading and my books aren't coming home any time soon....) and you weigh that against the potential grade bump, you've got to ask yourself if it's worth it to you? 

In any event, awesome collection of pence copies. You don't see many runs of early pence copies like that. 

Hi Wiffy and welcome!

Based on what I see, issues 3 and 4 definitely would not improve with a press.  A clean might make them more presentable. The others, it is hard to tell. First Electro and Mysterio, you might be able to remove some of the spine roll but the amount of wear might still keep them in the 2.0-3.5 range regardless. The Hulk issue it is hard to tell and same goes for the other Spideys. 

Best case scenario, you might get a 0.5 bump on a couple. Worst case, you could waste the $20-30 to do the cleaning on every book and still get the same results on each book had they been left untouched. 

On 3/24/2022 at 10:48 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Hi Wiffy and welcome!

Based on what I see, issues 3 and 4 definitely would not improve with a press.  A clean might make them more presentable. The others, it is hard to tell. First Electro and Mysterio, you might be able to remove some of the spine roll but the amount of wear might still keep them in the 2.0-3.5 range regardless. The Hulk issue it is hard to tell and same goes for the other Spideys. 

Best case scenario, you might get a 0.5 bump on a couple. Worst case, you could waste the $20-30 to do the cleaning on every book and still get the same results on each book had they been left untouched. 

IMHO worst case is they suffer additional damage due to handling.  Seems to me on most of these the risk not worth the potential reward.

The amount of tears and flaking present would make me concerned about the additional handling on many of those books, and a press won't fix those defects, though a "flatter" book might have slightly more eye appeal than the rippling caused by an abundance of creasing.  

I'd forego a clean/press.  But you do you  :)

Great collection!!!

I could see the grade improving from a 1.5 to a 1.8 or maybe all the way up to a 2.0.

On 3/24/2022 at 4:40 PM, rexinnih said:

Agree with this. All the color breaks will mark down and not benefit from any pressing. 

Speaking from my experience, the pressing can detach the cover at one staple or both even the centerfold only if the book is very fragile, brittle or loose.