• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Bound Golden Age Comics Volume - Why Would Someone Do This?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2022 at 1:24 PM, LudaToke said:

What are the prices on some of these compiled volumes?  

The most I have seen any go for is low six figures.  But if those volumes came on the market now I would think they would go for multiples of that since one was an Action run starting with 1 and the other was a Detective run starting a bit before 27.  In a world where a tiny piece of the cover of Action 1 can hit mid-four figures, single pages are being snatched up, and bionic books garner big dollars, then sky might just be the limit for the most valuable bound copies.

On 3/27/2022 at 9:23 AM, Chicago Boy said:

The bound volumes at the DC Archives Library in Burbank are pretty cool.  They have since become separated and put in mylar. Not in the best condition though but kept from what I understand as far back as 1935.

I’m not much of a fan of books unbound from bound volumes. Yeah, I get the obvious $$$ reason. They are still usually low grade, often trimmed and spine problems. But due to their bound status, they are often well preserved otherwise.

I am of the school that they should be left intact and still bound. Quite often, they are consecutive runs and more readable.

I believe they are worth more in their bound state rather than detached for the above reason.

I bound my Russ Cochran EC reprints. Value of the single copies are negligible at best and much better for reading.

I still buy them when I can but the prices have risen dramatically in the past couple of years. 

Here's a copy of Animal Comics #7 I picked up for $30 on the Bay that certainly seems to have been unbound from a bound book. It actually released from the binding pretty well; though you can see where the glue removed the spine colors and it's rough there to the touch. Not a bad book though a whole collection of early bound Animal comics would have been much better and possibly worth a lot more.

Animal7.thumb.jpg.181e125232508adb938c6f625599d7a0.jpg

On 3/27/2022 at 6:39 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here's a copy of Animal Comics #7 I picked up for $30 on the Bay that certainly seems to have been unbound from a bound book. It actually released from the binding pretty well; though you can see where the glue removed the spine colors and it's rough there to the touch. Not a bad book though a whole collection of early bound Animal comics would have been much better and possibly worth a lot more.

Animal7.thumb.jpg.181e125232508adb938c6f625599d7a0.jpg

Nice book. A great way to get a nice book for an attractive price. I got a couple here on the boards that were very nice but had some micro color touch for a great price.

Yeah, the bound volume that probably came in would’ve been awsome. 

On 3/27/2022 at 3:02 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

To me, all bound volumes are trash. I don't know why anyone would pay a dollar for a bound volume of comics let alone $5,500.

This is the first time I've seen such an odd assortment of comics bound together.

I agree with you 100%.  I think everyone who has a bound volume like these should send them to me for $1 which is more than they are worth.

But in all seriousness these always fascinated me.  They are a look back on the early days of collecting.  Back when money was not in the equation and preserving comics was.  I put them in the same group as some of those early fanzines.  Not the collectible, but an artifact of the hobby itself.

Looking at some of the great bound volumes that people have shared here (and in RM's other thread) has gotten me wondering if this may be a way of getting some cool collectibles that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.  Though now people are looking at these and wondering instead what they could get if they separated those cool bound volumes instead, so maybe not. 

Edited by thunsicker

On 3/28/2022 at 4:11 PM, thunsicker said:

I agree with you 100%.  I think everyone who has a bound volume like these should send them to me for $1 which is more than they are worth.

But in all seriousness these always fascinated me.  They are a look back on the early days of collecting.  Back when money was not in the equation and preserving comics was.  I put them in the same group as some of those early fanzines.  Not the collectible, but an artifact of the hobby itself.

Looking at some of the great bound volumes that people have shared here (and in RM's other thread) has gotten me wondering if this may be a way of getting some cool collectibles that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.  Though now people are looking at these and wondering instead what they could get if they separated those cool bound volumes instead, so maybe not. 

Personally, I think once they have been bound, they are worth more as a whole than individual purple slab books.

I used to get great deals on bound volumes. Not so much anymore.