• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Bound Golden Age Comics Volume - Why Would Someone Do This?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

I was looking through an online comic shop that I purchase from and I saw this piece. It does have some interesting comics in it.  My question is, why would someone do this to these comics?  Haven't they effectively ruined them by assembling them like this?  The asking price for it is $5,500 CAD.

The item description is as follows: Contains Action Comics 92, Superman 39, Action Comics 24, More Fun Comics 55 (1st Appearance Dr Fate), Feature Comics 38, All American 23, Crack Comics 9, All American Comics 62, Detective Comics 100 & 104 (in that order). All books are complete with ads BUT all are missing Front & Back Covers. Most pages are firmly intact and in good shape - the first and last page of the book have the most wear. There is a piece missing at the top of the spine (pictured).

All of the comics are missing the front and back covers.  Were they missing to begin with or were they removed for the purpose of compiling them in this volume?  I can't wrap my head around it.  The pages on the inside look like they are decent shape for Golder Age comics.

image_d0afa356-7976-40a7-9e1b-fc4f5485b025_500x.heic?v=1648067020image_ae42b812-ee6f-47f7-b623-bb1901b9cc6d_500x.heic?v=1648067020image_500x.heic?v=1648067020image_40589905-345a-494a-9a1c-0b3c736eef15_500x.heic?v=1648067020image_2adecbf5-26bc-44c3-8886-80048427423a_500x.heic?v=1648067029

Maybe they were remaindered copies to start with. Or value wasn't uppermost in the compilers mind at the time, if they removed the covers. And the books may not have held the value they do now, at the time they were bound.

Nice though, isn't it :)  

On 3/24/2022 at 12:21 PM, LudaToke said:

My question is, why would someone do this to these comics? 

Because comics are cheap and a leather-bound book is both classy and easier to handle.

At time this was done, comics were probably cheap and they might even have been coverless copies.

Obviously bound by a fan when they wern’t worth anything except for reading. Covers might have been removed so they would all fit in the book.

I have many of these bound volumes and I kind of like them. Easy and convient to read and used to be cheap to buy.

Yeah a shame but they are what they are…

On 3/24/2022 at 10:31 AM, fifties said:

The value of comic books was nil back when they were being produced en masse.  Look at the grease pencil price from a retailer of used comics.

Black Cat Mystery 48.jpg

Wow, and I thought I was doing good when I paid a buck for my copy…:roflmao:

Bound volumes are an interesting topic and I'm not sure we've had a thread devoted to them before. There are quite a number of single issues from the 40s/50s that have been liberated from bound volumes, sometimes with glue marks or small bindery holes along the spine. I used to turn up my nose at such books, but I bought a bunch recently and am super pleased with them. They exhibit a really nice freshness from being preserved flat and intact for so long. (Not always the case -- storage conditions varied widely and some bound issues have brittle pages.) And obviously, you want bound issues to have their covers... the value should plunge if that's not the case.

From a collectability standpoint, the biggest problem with bound issues (whether still bound or loose) is that issues were often trimmed flush prior to being bound, some severely so. It's something to look out for with bound or formerly bound issues, as trimming is not always caught and disclosed in auctions.

On 3/24/2022 at 4:42 PM, Bookery said:

It could also have been done by a library.  They bound a lot of magazines back then, and there are plenty of bound volumes of pulps out there (with and without covers).  If you were a library, and you wanted some stuff for the kids, the individual comics would only hold up for a few readings, but a bound book would last through quite awhile (as it obviously did).  Mainstream magazines were bound into volume sets by the publishers for libraries.  But with this example, it's possible a given local library had its own bindery equipment.

That is interesting and something I didn't consider (being a bound collection in a library).  It certainly has the look of an old library book and reminds of the styles of books that were on the shelves when I was in University in the 90s.

On 3/24/2022 at 5:07 PM, Point Five said:

Bound volumes are an interesting topic and I'm not sure we've had a thread devoted to them before. There are quite a number of single issues from the 40s/50s that have been liberated from bound volumes, sometimes with glue marks or small bindery holes along the spine. I used to turn up my nose at such books, but I bought a bunch recently and am super pleased with them. They exhibit a really nice freshness from being preserved flat and intact for so long. (Not always the case -- storage conditions varied widely and some bound issues have brittle pages.) And obviously, you want bound issues to have their covers... the value should plunge if that's not the case.

From a collectability standpoint, the biggest problem with bound issues (whether still bound or loose) is that issues were often trimmed flush prior to being bound, some severely so. It's something to look out for with bound or formerly bound issues, as trimming is not always caught and disclosed in auctions.

Being a big fan of bound volumes. I started a thread about them a few years back. Sorry, but I don’t know how to search for it.

It seems this is far more common than I imagined.

What are the prices on some of these compiled volumes?  I have next to no experience with Golden Age books and pricing them is a mystery for me.  The book at the top of this thread is selling for $5,500 CAD which seems like A LOT to me but I revert back to my original point (I'm Jon Snow - I know nothing).