• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your first comic book in your collection
4 4

41 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2022 at 10:51 PM, oakman29 said:

My mommy didnt throw away all my books like most. I have every comic book from my youth, but this one started it all. I was given this book from a store somewhere on the way from California to Wisconsin on a family trip. 

20220324_194630.jpg.49ca4838a7db85a65526bab19355618b.jpg

I bet you could get that Dell logo slabbed if you can find the missing piece! hm

I read Transformers and some GIJOE as a little kid. I don't count them. X-Men The Animated Series had started here, and we could pick any book from this small bookshop/newsagent, in preparation for a trip to Movie World we were making. My sister chose a book, I went outside my habits and asked if I could buy a comic. My mother said yes, and I bought X-Men Adventures 1. I felt happy being there for a while, before I jumped to the 'adult' X-Men books, but in-between that I started on what had been my favourite of the Marvel Masterworks my library got in when I was younger: Fantastic Four. And I can remember my first issue of that, clear as day, it was Fantastic Four #387, with the chilling 'apparition' of Sue on the cover, and the promise of something called 'No One Gets Out Alive' being released soon, a 12 issue maxistory that eventually got culled to 6.

I thought things were real. I read that Reed had died just issues before, and totally changed the team dynamics, and I was really sad as I like Reed, and I had to wait until I was an adult to read that issue store (store only ever had his death issue once and it was $60,even then I knew I was being taken for a ride). It was also a few years till I learned about the idea of being 'comic book dead'. 

On 3/25/2022 at 10:57 AM, littledoom said:

Probably Star Wars Episode II attack of the clones adaptation newsstand 

side note: I’m noticing everyone’s first comic they owned was a key lol

I doubt mine was a key, if it was I dont even know it.😅

I have no idea what the first is. My earliest memories include Peanuts, Archie’s  (more Veronica truthfully), Richie Rich and the Beagle Boys. Every barbershop had an ample supply usually stored right next to the Playboys. The Brute (Atlas Comics) stands out in the memory bank as one of my early purchases. Probably explains why I’ve chased the fools gold that is Atlas comics for so long. 

A18E496A-0081-4A80-9F90-F8D5B9F30C20.jpeg

On 3/25/2022 at 7:22 PM, KirbyJack said:

My first comic

6ABCC820-7A8D-431D-BC8E-7C3CEDBEFE41.thumb.jpeg.3fc9e3461c16743358639f74d8ba2706.jpeg

a reprint of Tales to Astonish 90. Both Subby and the Hulk get whooped, so my brothers told me I had to get the next issue. I later sold my childhood collection and left comics for years. My current collection was started with a reading copy of FF 77.

47ED472B-25F8-4A1A-B753-21BF5DAF3A69.thumb.jpeg.46455efa80c4ef40807a92f47a76398b.jpeg

The Abomination's abs are an abomination on that cover!

On 3/26/2022 at 9:07 AM, Dave2739 said:

The Abomination's abs are an abomination on that cover!

Horizontal 10-pack. Even back then that caught my eye. 
But what sold me on it was how massive the Hulk’s arm looked in comparison to the woman.

I was a very skinny kid. Big meant cool.

Great thread!

My first comic was Thor #347. Thor has been my favorite character, and Walt Simonson my favorite artist, ever since. When I started collecting again, I focused on getting the whole Simonson run before anything else and 347 was the first issue I purchased for that run (I lost all my old comics unfortunately).

Malekith3.jpg

Stopped by a friends house who was on his way to pick up his "weeklys", whatever that meant, but I was up for a ride. While he did his thing I looked around and grabbed a couple of impulse buys, a $1 box FF #254 and an off-the-rack WoS #76. Believe it or not, after reading that ridiculous WoS, I actually went back for more. I think it was the FF despite it being an uneventful filler issue, that kept me in the game.

They're the only two books I kept when I had to sell my first collection. I can still smell the large, light, extra sweet deli coffee I spilled all over the Spidey.

That's how my comic book days began, with 2 terrible books, one of which I destroyed within hours. I dare say I haven't really gotten all that much better at this.

7D7654FD-A721-4D9A-B165-7EC8D0540AE1.jpeg

7F1C6E5D-1EA2-4D11-9742-B21E5EF366BE.jpeg