• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few things from a friend...NEW PAGE ADDED Leonard Kirk 1/2 splash FF team shot / 3 Artist's Editions and a few signed prints - MACROSS print set / OTOMO KABA added CAN DELIVER TO MOCCA SAT 4/2
3 3

14 posts in this topic

Hello. Let's start with the reason for selling. My friend has been diagnosed with ALS for a few years now and has stopped working, stopped moving below the neck, and says the next step is loss of breathing ability; he will not be seeking a breathing tube and is on hospice. He is a huge comics fan and we have been going to conventions together since the early 1990s, although we haven't gone to anything together in a decade or so. We traveled down from NJ to Washington DC to see Dave Sim around 1992/94 and had the car breakdown partway home. Quite an adventure that involved a tow truck going 100 miles, a rental car from an airport along the way and even more fun. So 5 years or so ago, maybe 6 or 7 even?, he started to have some trouble with his feet. Tanglefoot I think they called Lou Gehrig (at least the Gary Cooper Lou). Apparently he knew pretty quickly it was ALS but it took a few months before he told his best friend from college, who told me. I knew for maybe 18 months before Bruce told me himself, which was when he was moving back home. Then came talk of adapted driving but quickly a ramp and now catheter. Last year he went to Florida from NJ (just the journey was a minor miracle) for a trial for some treatment but he said it turned out to be bogus. I don't know what that means specifically but it doesn't matter. He is able to stay at his mother's home and has 24 hour care and this should continue thankfully. But now he is planning his exit strategy I guess and asked me to sell his comic art. He still has tons of comics (he says no big keys, FF 48-50 long gone) so maybe you'll see those here on the boards shortly. But first this stuff. Oh, he said (with a sure bit of laugh in his voice) to hit them with the sob story, so there you go. No matter how much I can tell you, you cannot describe the sadness that this outcome has caused; this guy is a prince. A true gentleman and a true friend. The type of friend you would want if you had ALS, sadly enough. And turns out he likes manga! ;-) I knew he had 3-4 pieces as I was there when he would buy them but turns out he ordered from Felix once (he never unpacked it) and bought a few things at cons as well. And he has good taste too. Most is going to HA more likely than not.

So let's get this show on the road. I am pricing off ebay and HA (got a HA estimate for the pages! Then I doubled it! Just Kidding!!!) with the idea that this guy has ALS! C'mon now people! :facepalm: I want to get him top dollar but I also want these to sell without worry for him. I assume all risk and you deal with me in all ways but no returns please. There will be no damage as I pack like a beast; but in the event of a real loss or issue we'll work it out (and refund if necessary).

s/h is $100. c'mon, this guy has ALS! Just kidding. Priority mail cost on label; payment is check, cash or money order for obvious reason - he has ALS! I'm sorry if my gallows humor offends, I was tearing up when typing the stuff up above and Bruce and I are both huge Monty Python fans and I know he would be okay with it. (We saw Graham Chapman with 4 other friends, including wifey who was not yet wifey but only girlfriendy at the time, at Rutgers. the show started with Graham asking for a minute of abuse, and one of our friends made faces as he pulled up his shirt and tweaked his nipples and Graham gave him a hearty pointing out and shout from the stage!)

No Probies, HoS or those who are on my ignore list (and cannot PM me). I would overlook the last category for Bruce, so if you cannot PM post in the thread and I will see it and address it positively. Otherwise I think that covers it, let's rock and roll for my buddy. First unconditional :takeit:in the thread or via PM gets the item(s).

Edited by Bird

IDW Artist Edition's - my plan would be to ship them in these boxes, which are meant to protect the AE. If you want it bubble wrapped and PITA'ed, its gonna be $5-10 on top of postage. If you buy 4 (or maybe 3 even), you'll get a box from IDW that holds 4 and has a stamp for JK AEs on it. The twice up obviously would not fit in that box. These will be a PITA to ship regardless as I want them to arrive as they leave, and I am selling for a friend who has ALS and is not exactly thriving so I do not want any issues in any way. But if you want that box protected you'd best let me know please. Typed this all out, but honestly I do not see just slapping a sticker on it and mailing but finding a large box to hold each one may be challenging.

Marvel Covers Daredevil variant SOLD

Spoiler

still sealed inside the original box I can't find a comp so $250

078978DE-2F25-42E1-8F15-C2E8F38590C9.jpeg73418C28-538B-411F-85E1-F6FEA2098277.jpeg

JB FF SOLD

Spoiler

$175

D46F7E36-D572-4D25-8937-3F19369B4F0D.jpeg242FC8E2-3D3F-4DD7-9F37-12ABD68FFA18.jpeg

JK FF Doom Thing cover Larger twice up size SOLD

Spoiler

$225

AA042667-6984-4325-B149-04C012B0FF44.jpeg62C20D1A-A16A-44A8-B125-87C18305187F.jpeg

Edited by Bird

The Thing print signed Joe Sinnott 8.5x11 SOLD

Spoiler

$30

27A0A452-2551-4AA1-B5E4-73177C74C504.thu

11x17 signed Joe Sinnott print - Jack Kirby / Sinnott The Thing SOLD

Spoiler

$60

C65722B9-D226-4BEC-ADD1-F794E0D59729.thu

Edited by Bird

On 3/24/2022 at 5:26 PM, Bird said:

Please?

I have no shame this time (as if I ever do, pshaw). Seriously though, I appreciate any views and hope these find a new home.

So sorry to hear about your friend.  So hard to know what's happening and not be able to do much to help.  

On 3/25/2022 at 12:25 AM, Bird said:

The Thing print signed Joe Sinnott 8.5x11 $30

27A0A452-2551-4AA1-B5E4-73177C74C504.thu

I do not have a fixed income right now, so I should not spend, but I wish to give a little contribution and I’ll take this one.
Is Bruce the name of your friend? Birdie, I am really sorry and glad you are going to help him.
P.S. I can have US shipping, but about the payment I should use PayPal (of course covering all the fees) — would it still be OK?

On 3/24/2022 at 7:53 PM, vaillant said:

I do not have a fixed income right now, so I should not spend, but I wish to give a little contribution and I’ll take this one.
Is Bruce the name of your friend? Birdie, I am really sorry and glad you are going to help him.
P.S. I can have US shipping, but about the payment I should use PayPal (of course covering all the fees) — would it still be OK?

yes, paypal is fine from international boardies. Bruce is indeed my friend's name, Bruce Santora. He is 57.

The Orange Thing is sold! ^^

your a good egg, thanks!

wait...birdie? :sumo:

Edited by Bird

On 3/25/2022 at 12:59 AM, Bird said:

yes, paypal is fine from international boardies. Bruce is indeed my friend's name, Bruce Santora. He is 57 or so.

The Orange Thing is sold! ^^

This is meaningful to me, as the print is for myself — I had a FF issue signed by Sinnott but did not like the signature on the cover and I’m selling it.
So, since I was unable to write to Sinnott while he was still here with us (I would have loved to have him sign for me the first issue of his "Life of Pope XXIII" he did for Treasure Chest), this will be a good alternative, and will also remind me to pray for your friend. 

On 3/24/2022 at 9:45 PM, Comical Situations said:

Condolences. ALS hits close to home for me.

Thank you. I am sorry to hear that you apparently know someone with it as well. It is so tragic and hopeless. I am stunned at my friend's continued positivity and ability to cope.

I got a question about the AEs; my shorthand is confusing some, sorry. They are all complete AEs, I used the term "cover" to denote which variant or copy of the AE it is, it is not JUST the cover for sale but the whole books. The Marvel Covers one is called a "Daredevil variant" but has the same interiors; their are variant editions of some and second prints of some and lawdy lawdy it gets confusing. So I just said Doom cover or whatever to convey the edition, not that only the cover is for sale.