• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would You Include That Comic Could Be Pressed for Better Grade on Ebay Description??
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Long story short, just got back 80 comics from CGC; the vast majority have a dent in the rear corner; no color break, could easily be pressed out.  

The defect was created 100% before the comics were graded; somewhere between my LCS and the grading room.

Neither CGC nor my LCS owner is taking any responsibility so basically my choices are to sell them as is, or spend more money and wait 8 months or so to get them back.

So all the embarassing dreck goes on Ebay...

Now, do I include information about the defect and mention how they could press them out and 99% chance get a better grade?

Or could it be simply opening a can of worms with little to no upside?

For example, some unscrupulous folks might buy one of them and demand a refund and say the dent was created after the comic was graded?

Leave well enough alone or include info about the defect?  

Whatcha' all think???

Ever been in the same situation?

Thanks! 

BTW, I'm comicbooksplus on Ebay!  Check out the dreck!   

On 3/27/2022 at 7:34 PM, kav said:

I would just list the defects and leave it at that.

Yep. List the defects and post clear pictures of them. You aren't Nostradamus. Don't try and predict the future. 

What you can't do is not mention them. That makes you a d bag. 

On 3/27/2022 at 4:44 PM, Tafkap said:

Something like, "the only defect I see is crunch in the rear right corner?"

well I would call it a bend.

On 3/27/2022 at 6:34 PM, kav said:

I would just list the defects and leave it at that.

If they're in slabs, no need to list defects, unless they happened in the case.

If the label looks the correct grade, but they haven't been pressed? Between cgc and LCS, and not at all?

It's cool to state in listing that " they have not been pressed"

Some people prefer unpressed books (thumbsu

@Tafkap

On 3/27/2022 at 6:44 PM, wombat said:

Yep. List the defects and post clear pictures of them. You aren't Nostradamus. Don't try and predict the future. 

What you can't do is not mention them. That makes you a d bag. 

Defects of a book in a slab, not made after slabbing? How does that work? Explaining the cgc grade?

On 3/27/2022 at 4:45 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If they're in slabs, no need to list defects, unless they happened in the case.

If the label looks the correct grade, but they haven't been pressed? Between cgc and LCS, and not at all?

It's cool to state in listing that " they have not been pressed"

Some people prefer unpressed books (thumbsu

@Tafkap

Good idea.  Thanks!

On 3/27/2022 at 6:31 PM, Tafkap said:

Long story short, just got back 80 comics from CGC; the vast majority have a dent in the rear corner; no color break, could easily be pressed out.  

The defect was created 100% before the comics were graded; somewhere between my LCS and the grading room.

This confused me, if you're receiving a correctly graded book? Then it happened before the grading room? No need to list defects, and if never pressed then say that.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:50 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It could have been the LCS didnt ship correctly, or postal mishandle? Then it could have happened at cgc?

As long as it didnt happen after grading etc

It could've happend at any point between me entrusing them to the LCS owner and them going into the grading room.  I don't know how I could prove where it happened.  

On 3/27/2022 at 6:52 PM, Tafkap said:

It could've happend at any point between me entrusing them to the LCS owner and them going into the grading room.  I don't know how I could prove where it happened.  

Well then if you're even the slightest thinking after grading, then list the defects, I was confused by your original statement.

I'd say you have a chance to have cgc press and regrade since they're your books but.....

You did it through the LCS, so they'll have to take care of it, which they may not be able to convince cgc.

I know it sounds challenging but subbing under your own account is always the best idea. If possible 

But if they all have the same problem and you can convince cgc that it happened under their watch, with before hand pic....

Then cgc would do something about it, but I've heard rumored that you would have to send pics before grading @CGC Mike? I think that makes sense.

Dont want to miss inform, but regardless, selling will be difficult. Best to list defects, since you're unsure if it happened after grading.

Its schroders cat. At least they weren't pressed, so you can say not pressed.

But had they been pressed you may have known it happened after pressing, the dings. :ohnoez:

Ok lol

I'm going to stop speculating 

On 3/27/2022 at 5:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

But if they all have the same problem and you can convince cgc that it happened under their watch, with before hand pic....

Then cgc would do something about it, but I've heard rumored that you would have to send pics before grading @CGC Mike? I think that makes sense.

Dont want to miss inform, but regardless, selling will be difficult. Best to list defects, since you're unsure if it happened after grading.

Its schroders cat. At least they weren't pressed, so you can say not pressed.

But had they been pressed you may have known it happened after pressing, the dings. :ohnoez:

Ok lol

I'm going to stop speculating 

I entrusted them to my LCS owner who did not take pictures.  He says it's CGC's fault.  CGC says it's the LCS owner's fault for not packing properly.  

On 3/27/2022 at 7:06 PM, Tafkap said:

I entrusted them to my LCS owner who did not take pictures.  He says it's CGC's fault.  CGC says it's the LCS owner's fault for not packing properly.  

Then who do you believe? I know cgc, I don't know your LCS, but there in may lie your determined outcome. Get your own account would be my suggestion, wait to sell until after you've tried cgc yourself, maybe that will give you a better idea.

Also sounds like cgc is blaming the postal service, yet pushes it further to say it might have survived if packed the way that cgc does? So could be LCS never had a problem before.

If you're trying to accept your losses, there have been a few scenarios, best case list defects and say has not been pressed. I still strongly suggest your own account.

All of this is imo, and you know better than I believe it or not, sounds like you were on the right path. Hopefully we have given you other things to think about. Go with your gut!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

• Administrator

So, without pictures, it would be hard to say when the damage happened.  If the grades match the defects, it sounds like the damage occurred prior to grading, and most likely during the shipping process to CGC.

The reason I believe it happened during shipping is, the OP is saying all of the damage on the books is all on the same corner.