• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan lee signature legit?
4 4

65 posts in this topic

Took 2 hours of searching and a brief heart attack thinking it had been in a different book.. but I found the sig I have. Sorta wished I had saved the ticket to the event. Signature from 2006. Best provenance I can give is a fantastic story about the event /signing and then running into Stan Lee and his small entourage again by happenstance at dinner about 45 minutes later. He took time to sign things for the waitstaff once they found out who he was... Just seemed like an all around nice guy. 

Responding specifically to the OP... they look pretty damn similar. 

SL-sig.jpg

Edited by Snowlock

On 5/3/2022 at 12:35 AM, Snowlock said:

Took 2 hours of searching and a brief heart attack thinking it had been in a different book.. but I found the sig I have. Sorta wished I had saved the ticket to the event. Signature from 2006. Best provenance I can give is a fantastic story about the event /signing and then running into Stan Lee and his small entourage again by happenstance at dinner about 45 minutes later. He took time to sign things for the waitstaff once they found out who he was... Just seemed like an all around nice guy. 

SL-sig.jpg

That has the old "L" which I like better. At some point after 2006 he started looping the L, but I love the vintage L that almost looked like a severely angled Z.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:08 PM, trademarkcomics said:

Stan's sigs present a much bigger issue than someone who rarely(I'm not even sure that word is really apt) signed books like Ditko. This brings me to a recent event that occurred to me. In early 2021 I bought a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #38 that was qualified CGC 6.5 with "Two names written on the cover". One name was Stan Lee, the other was Steve Ditko. Now...I know Ditko rarely signed books. And when he did sign them it was even more rarely on the cover. However, there was something about this that seemed different to me. He even put "Regards,..." before he signed his name and I was pretty sure he never did that on comics. Still, the price was right even with the Stan sig and that looked authentic to me. So I bought the book and sent it off to...the other guys to get re-graded and (hopefully) authenticated. They rejected it before it even got past grading. When I got it back the tag said "Bad sigs" as the reason. They were apparently so offended they rejected the other book I sent and I know those sigs were good since it was a CGC SS crack out.

So, fast forward a few months and I decide to sell the ASM 38. Of course, I stated in both the title and the text of the ad that I wasn't certain about the Ditko signature. About a couple of days into the auction I get contacted by someone with the username "ditko59". He asked if I was the one who bought it back in 2021 and offered me less than the starting bid(which was rather high). I said I would wait until the auction was over since it had a lot of interest. He then offered me the starting bid. I figured he must be a Ditko fan and I really wanted the book to go to a good home and not someone who would flip it, so I accepted. After he received the book he messaged me to tell me he was Mark S. Ditko, the nephew and godson of Steve! And that this book was originally bought by him in 1992, and he had it signed personally by both Stan and then Steve a while later! Apparently, he gave it to a relative who eventually sold it and now he finally had it back! I told him he should thank the nice(not so nice--another story for another time) folks at CBC---well, you know. Because if they had authenticated the signature I would have never sold it!

I will now show you the signature. And, it's a weird one because Steve put these large squiggles when crossing the "T"s, something I don't think he ever did. But, it dawned on me prior to my knowledge Stan had signed the book before he did that Ditko probably penned the large squiggles on the "T"s in a sarcastic way to spite Stan...

asm38sig.thumb.png.49607234df43e5eb9cb27bb111e3a627.png

I guess the moral of the story is that like so many things in life, you can't judge a book by its cover(and that is so true in "regards" to comics in general)! :wink:

the regards and sig look 100% authentic.

One of my favorite items in my collection is this letter from Steve Ditko  in response to a letter I sent to him. He died a few months later, so I'm  very

On 5/3/2022 at 8:27 PM, toro said:

Didn't one year he go out for a beer in NY with some of the boardies and he signed a waitresses breast or her behind?

thats what she says.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:55 PM, kav said:
On 5/3/2022 at 10:27 PM, toro said:

Didn't one year he go out for a beer in NY with some of the boardies and he signed a waitresses breast or her behind?

thats what she says.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :roflmao:

On 5/3/2022 at 12:35 AM, Snowlock said:

SL-sig.jpg

I once got caught in the bathroom with Harman Killebrew when we left the bathroom he signed a ball for me.

On 5/3/2022 at 11:07 PM, oakman29 said:

I once got caught in the bathroom with Harman Killebrew when we left the bathroom he signed a ball for me.

The right or the left?

On 5/3/2022 at 8:27 PM, toro said:

I wouldn't put it past him...

On 5/3/2022 at 9:07 PM, oakman29 said:

I still wouldn't put it past him...:nyah:

On 5/3/2022 at 6:55 PM, spracknetch23 said:

Looks legit to me. For comparison's sake, here are a few authentic raw ones from my collection. I witnessed Stan sign these in 1994 in Philly. I'd guess that yours was signed around the same time period, maybe between 1990-2005. 

X-men 050_01.jpg

Amazing Spider-man 071 copy B (signed by Stan Lee)_01.jpg

Amazing Spider-man 097 copy B(signed by Stan Lee)_01.jpg

Ah, 1994...when Stan still cared about signature placement(rather than over Spidey's or Polaris' face). Cool books!

On 5/4/2022 at 9:01 AM, Catwomancomics said:

@ryanritc

I’m sorry to say that the signature looks off to me. I’ve never seen a Stan Lee signature that looks like he stopped after the N in Stan and started again with the L in Lee.  It’s not a continuous flowing motion.  

Or someone bumped his elbow in a packed convention hall while he was signing? Autographs are not performed in a vaccuum. :wink:

On 5/4/2022 at 1:07 PM, trademarkcomics said:

Or someone bumped his elbow in a packed convention hall while he was signing? Autographs are not performed in a vaccuum. :wink:

As I mentioned above... he probably signed at least 2-3k times at the event I was at. I am quite sure the signatures at the start looked pretty damn different from those at the end. They originally were allowing 2 sigs per person and then had to announce he was only doing one per person about 2 hours in... and he was still there for another 2ish hours. He has potentially signed more things personally than anyone in recent history and there's gonna be some variation, even as you say, during the same event. Dunno, its always open to speculation. 

On 3/28/2022 at 3:17 PM, ryanritc said:

Recently picked this up does it look legit I have my concerns 

image.jpg

IMO, your concerns are well justified. Regardless of the fluidity, the absence of hesitation, there are 9 blazing red flags here. the combination of any two of the nine, IMO, pointing to this not being Stan's track.