• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snagged Two 9.8 Unicorns This Week, Both the Only Graded Copy at All
1 1

13 posts in this topic

So I bought two CGC 9.8s this week, Amazing Heroes 43 (Warlock) and 72 (Vision and Scarlet Witch). Just did some digging, and it looks as if they're both the only graded copies at all of these books, which I think qualifies them for some kind of unicorn status (at least unofficially). Admittedly, it's hardly a mainstream book or publisher (Fantagraphics). But I thought it was still pretty amazing that both of the CGC books I bought this week were the only apparent graded copies of either in existence. 

image.thumb.png.cf6473db465c48130ff7f58e122a6661.png

image.thumb.png.26e4140a1d44b897910be5c9f2115623.png

Thanks for sharing my late-night nerd joy.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:17 AM, Holzar said:

So I bought two CGC 9.8s this week, Amazing Heroes 43 (Warlock) and 72 (Vision and Scarlet Witch). Just did some digging, and it looks as if they're both the only graded copies at all of these books, which I think qualifies them for some kind of unicorn status (at least unofficially). Admittedly, it's hardly a mainstream book or publisher (Fantagraphics). But I thought it was still pretty amazing that both of the CGC books I bought this week were the only apparent graded copies of either in existence. 

image.thumb.png.cf6473db465c48130ff7f58e122a6661.png

image.thumb.png.26e4140a1d44b897910be5c9f2115623.png

Thanks for sharing my late-night nerd joy.

Those are NON Marvel books with Marvel Character Covers.  How about  the reverse of sorts; examples of the only graded copies of Marvel books with NON Marvel Character Covers :)

Dennis_Marvel13.thumb.jpg.9497f520d848174024a5f8b90c343ea5.jpg

Hugga6.thumb.jpg.42b72c6204f23047cbb7489f57a1a661.jpg

I think more times than not if a Copper has only a single copy on census its due to lack of interest NOT lack of supply.  In the case of the 2 books of mine above zero interest certainly applies :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/30/2022 at 10:49 AM, The Meta said:

I have a few books with a census of around 6 copies

Most people ask, "What is wrong with you?"

Too few copies means no way for the Flipper's, Market manipulator's, YouTube talking heads, to make bank.  So of course they don't like it. They b needin' high Pop stuff stuff like ASM361,Nova1,Star Wars 42, WWBN32,Spawn 1,UF1,etc to gets them Benjie's flowin' in.

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/30/2022 at 8:55 AM, MAR1979 said:

Too few copies means no way for the Flipper's, Market manipulator's, YouTube talking heads, to make bank.  So of course they don't like it they b needin' high Pop stuff stuff like ASM361,Nova1,Star Wars 42, WWBN32,UF1,etc to gets them Benjie's flowin' in.

I should make a YouTube channel and give the world the wonder of my signed Grendel War Child, issue 4

Where nothing happened, but Bisley did the cover and signed it. And look at the shiny slab its in!

It has to be rare! Nevermind I picked it up for 40 dollars!

It has to be worth millions! Look at the census people! The census knows all!

On 3/30/2022 at 10:57 AM, valiantman said:

@Holzar I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer on your nerd joy, so if you can forgive me for pointing out something that not a lot of people know...

The CGC Census shows that about 250,000 different comics and magazines have been graded, and the total number of graded items is 7,400,000, which would be about 30 graded copies on average.

That would make "only graded copy" books seem special, but about 67,500 comics/magazines have been graded only once... which is 27%.  It jumps to almost 70% for books graded fewer than ten times.

Unusual books like these are almost... usual. :kidaround:

P.S. I'm glad you're enjoying CGCdata.com :foryou:

Been using CGCdata for over a decade, can't thank you enough!

Only copy on census, usually a reason for that. With Copper or Modern it's almost always due to low interest coupled with low value.  IMHO unless there is a personal connection why pay $22-$35+shipping fees to slab a book that is worth $50-75?  That said I've sent in at least few "worthless" books due to some personal reason and at least 1 is my signature.

Edited by MAR1979

Thanks for everyone's replies. Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that the rarity of these two makes them somehow worth massive amounts of money. I was mostly just surprised to find that they both came back as the only graded copies of these two issues. But, obviously, it's a title and a publisher that's way off the beaten path, so it's probably not that surprising. 

Mostly, it's just cool to know that (for the moment) I'm the only owner of graded copies of these two books that I really like. 

Thanks, guys. 

On 3/30/2022 at 8:57 AM, valiantman said:

@Holzar I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer on your nerd joy, so if you can forgive me for pointing out something that not a lot of people know...

The CGC Census shows that about 250,000 different comics and magazines have been graded, and the total number of graded items is 7,400,000, which would be about 30 graded copies on average.

That would make "only graded copy" books seem special, but about 67,500 comics/magazines have been graded only once... which is 27%.  It jumps to almost 70% for books graded fewer than ten times.

Unusual books like these are almost... usual. :kidaround:

P.S. I'm glad you're enjoying CGCdata.com :foryou:

That's super interesting. You're not a Debbie Downer at all. Really good info to have. I'm relatively new at this, so still figuring out some basic stuff. The "special" part in this case is more for me personally than because they're objectively rare considering all the other similar cases out there. Good thoughts. Thanks! 

On 3/30/2022 at 11:03 AM, MAR1979 said:

Only copy on census, usually a reason for that. With Copper or Modern it's almost always due to low interest coupled with low value.  

I think I'm the king of that, :insane:.  My Dark Horse Presents, Dark Horse Comics, The "Nam, and a few other registry sets tell the tale.

Edited by Parabellum