• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Forum - Toxic Environment?
8 8

382 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2022 at 5:14 PM, The Lions Den said:

Maybe I'm being naive, but I'd like to think we're all mature enough to set aside our differences for the greater good, which to me involves interacting with other collectors by sharing knowledge and insight.

And as the song goes: "Life is very short and there's no time...for fussing and fighting, my friend..."  :wavingwhiteflag:

Sounds good The Lions Den.  Solid.   

• Administrator
On 3/31/2022 at 5:33 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Back in the early days of these forums, the mods would pretty much just let us sort it out ourselves.  We’d have epic flame wars.  But at the same time, we’d organize forum dinners at conventions & interact in person with tons of members.  This potential face-to-face usually kept things from escalating beyond a certain point.  There was a sense of community, and flame wars were simply part of that interaction. Nowadays the mods jump in way too early(possibly because of the button humpers), and discussions/arguments get cut short.   By not allowing them to go their natural course & ultimately flame out, these locked threads actually end up breeding further resentment & hostility between members.

0D2B01A2-F906-4F07-8C4B-6A571BF7F683.gif.b9186235ec0d28581975b1ec6e796095.gif

Who’s to blame?

The mods? ( talking about you @CGC Mike :baiting:)

Those who post things that may offend?

The button humpers?

Or is there something else?

To be honest, I have allowed a lot more conversations to take place, that would have surely been stopped with warnings attached, prior to me taking on a position with CGC.  

On 3/31/2022 at 8:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

To be honest, I have allowed a lot more conversations to take place, that would have surely been stopped with warnings attached, prior to me taking on a position with CGC.  

I wanted to like this post, but your reactions are disabled :baiting:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 3/31/2022 at 7:14 PM, The Lions Den said:

Maybe I'm being naive, but I'd like to think we're all mature enough to set aside our differences for the greater good, which to me involves interacting with other collectors by sharing knowledge and insight.

And as the song goes: "Life is very short and there's no time...for fussing and fighting, my friend..."  :wavingwhiteflag:

• Administrator

Since I took over, I have issued a very small percentage of the warnings via the point system, compared to the way is was.  My reason for doing this is, I felt that it caused a lot of revenge reporting, and it left a sour taste in people's mouth.  Instead, I have let a lot more things slide.  I have made postings in threads, and I have also removed some things without issuing warnings.  My feeling was, that many would see their posts missing and possible refrain from reposting something similar next time.  I have also created a thread for off topic posts, to cut down on thread derailment.  I had a ban from topic installed to stop people from posting in a specific thread, rather than restrict their postings from the entire forum.  I also started asking people to add missing rules in their FS thread, instead of pulling it and issuing a warning. The old admin stopped moderating around the mid to the end of September.  Here's graph for reports.  I think we are headed in the right direction.

image.png

On 3/31/2022 at 7:30 PM, CGC Mike said:

Since I took over, I have issued a very small percentage of the warnings via the point system, compared to the way is was.  My reason for doing this is, I felt that it caused a lot of revenge reporting, and it left a sour taste in people's mouth.  Instead, I have let a lot more things slide.  I have made postings in threads, and I have also removed some things without issuing warnings.  My feeling was, that many would see their posts missing and possible refrain from reposting something similar next time.  I have also created a thread for off topic posts, to cut down on thread derailment.  I had a ban from topic installed to stop people from posting in a specific thread, rather than restrict their postings from the entire forum.  I also started asking people to add missing rules in their FS thread, instead of pulling it and issuing a warning. The old admin stopped moderating around the mid to the end of September.  Here's graph for reports.  I think we are headed in the right direction.

image.png

:golfclap:(worship)

On 3/31/2022 at 8:30 PM, CGC Mike said:

image.png

I could not agree more . IMO you have done a great job! You have been very fair and lenient.  Which to me has led to a much more enjoyable experience.  

Thank you ! 

200-1.gif.a294d81889141ff0dd3f0a281dd5cd29.gif

On 3/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, MattTheDuck said:

One man's toxicity is another's vitamin pencil.  Or something.  Everyone has their own sensitivity level but anonymous online comments simply should not be taken to heart by anyone.

One man's vitamin pencil is another man's Whopper!