• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW TMNT #127 And Doing A Full Read Through/General Discussion. The Last Ronin

23 posts in this topic

Anyone else think this could be a nice little future issue, with the first ever comic appearance of Venus De Milo? I'm still way behind in the story, and the issues I own are scattered, and limited to the early IDW stuff, but this seems like a buy that's both a good read and a book with potential. 

I missed out on #95 with Jennika (still need to track down a copy of that one, it's difficult to find a nice raw one) so I'd like to catch onto this one. There's just something about the idea of a female Turtle I find so disruptive. 

Edited by Cat

I personally wouldn't bank on Venus sticking around long, or being used by other writers again prominently in the future. It will make for an interesting story but unless there is a twist about her (my guess below) that establishers her character, I see her more as a niche novelty call back that won't survive the arc. Her and Jennika are not comparable, as Jennika had dozens of issues to develop as a character before even becoming a turtle while Venus is just being dumped in as is here (with interest mainly just being that she is a weird reference to a very old awful idea)

possible guess spoiler:

Spoiler

it's really Sheena

I haven't come across that character yet, I'm only up to issue 40 or so (I'm going via The Complete Collections) but this might just be my jumping on point to the monthly grind again. 

On 4/4/2022 at 12:05 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I haven't come across that character yet, I'm only up to issue 40 or so (I'm going via The Complete Collections) but this might just be my jumping on point to the monthly grind again. 

Then you're in for a treat soon, basically the first 40ish issues was basically covering the stories expected of the turtles (Shredder, Krang) but after those are taken care of the series became much more free to explore the characters and expand on everything in a much more original way. One of the only long running series I've stuck with for the entire run.

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/7/2022 at 2:00 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Then you're in for a treat soon, basically the first 40ish issues was basically covering the stories expected of the turtles (Shredder, Krang) but after those are taken care of the series became much more free to explore the characters and expand on everything in a much more original way. One of the only long running series I've stuck with for the entire run.

Good to know I'm making a good investment. * I've been loving it so far. I don't know why I ever dropped it in the first place. Still, mostly glad I did, I'd rather read it in the oversized hardcover IDW Collections, for the most parts. Just not sure how much stuff like TMNT VS Ghostbusters is necessary to the main story, but I guess we'll find out. 

*investment into shelf space, which is a scarce resource here. 

On 4/6/2022 at 3:09 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Good to know I'm making a good investment. * I've been loving it so far. I don't know why I ever dropped it in the first place. Still, mostly glad I did, I'd rather read it in the oversized hardcover IDW Collections, for the most parts. Just not sure how much stuff like TMNT VS Ghostbusters is necessary to the main story, but I guess we'll find out. 

*investment into shelf space, which is a scarce resource here. 

Don't worry about the TMNT vs Ghostbusters stuff, you can stick with the core series but if you want to jump into the side series, mainly for the characters (April/Casey, Shredder, Jennika) they offer additional exploration and texture but nothing that needs to be explicitly known to continue with the main series (I think the only case is maybe TMNT: Casualty of War free comic book day comic that was tied into the main story in issues #93-#95). Don't skip on the Annuals though for the main series.

Edited by Sauce Dog

Well I'm just going by whatever is in the IDW Collections, which seems to be everything. I've enjoyed it all so far, I'm just a bit iffy about the upcoming Ghostbusters crossover, especially considering it takes up most of the volume according to the contents listings (I haven't actually received the book, I've got 3 volumes on the way). The supplementary material does take up a lot of space as is (4 volumes in and it feels like we're barely moving through the main series, at issue 38 or so) but I've really enjoyed it all. 

Trying to come into the story on this issue was worse than coming into Claremont X-Men cold. The book was impenetrable in large part. I'll just stick to the IDW Collections and catch up that way. 

On 4/7/2022 at 3:35 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Trying to come into the story on this issue was worse than coming into Claremont X-Men cold. The book was impenetrable in large part. I'll just stick to the IDW Collections and catch up that way. 

I feel like I asked my LCS recently (in the last year) where a good starting point was and I believe they told me issue 100.

To be fair, I never did go back and check though.

On 4/8/2022 at 4:05 AM, Crops068 said:

I feel like I asked my LCS recently (in the last year) where a good starting point was and I believe they told me issue 100.

To be fair, I never did go back and check though.

Thanks, but I'm just going to leave it. I didn't consider that I'd be spoiling myself for the run I'm still catching up on (I know that sounds ridiculous). I learnt that Donatello broke his shell, so now I know I've got that ahead of me. I still don't know how it happens, so that's fine, but I'd prefer to find out naturally as the story progresses, so I'll just go by the IDW Collections until I hit a reasonable number. 

On 4/7/2022 at 9:23 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Thanks, but I'm just going to leave it. I didn't consider that I'd be spoiling myself for the run I'm still catching up on (I know that sounds ridiculous). I learnt that Donatello broke his shell, so now I know I've got that ahead of me. I still don't know how it happens, so that's fine, but I'd prefer to find out naturally as the story progresses, so I'll just go by the IDW Collections until I hit a reasonable number. 

Yeah that is a good call, while I'm sure 100 is a good place for some to start you would miss some of the biggest story arcs for the turtles ever -  especially Jennika's introduction and well done story development on how she joins the main crew.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Yeah that is a good call, while I'm sure 100 is a good place for some to start you would miss some of the biggest story arcs for the turtles ever -  especially Jennika's introduction and well done story development on how she joins the main crew.

Yeah that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to, and now also finding out what happened to Donnie to injure him that badly. He's my favourite Turtle so I'm really intrigued on that one. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

On 4/9/2022 at 1:53 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Yeah that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to, and now also finding out what happened to Donnie to injure him that badly. He's my favourite Turtle so I'm really intrigued on that one. 

I think the story arc for that is in around issue #40-50, so you should be getting there soon enough.

On 4/9/2022 at 11:07 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I think the story arc for that is in around issue #40-50, so you should be getting there soon enough.

Oh that'll be in the next volume then, which should be arriving next week. Excellent! 

On 4/9/2022 at 11:07 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I am indeed midway through that on the numbers you listed, now just waiting to see how he gets back to his own body. Still loving this series. Very happy that volume 7 is nothing but the main series, no sidestories, just the main story. Just what I'm in the mood for. But I've also got to stretch it out, as I'm waiting for volumes 8 and 9 to arrive. :cry:

Well, finished volume 6. Great stuff in the main series in the lead-up to, and the delivery of, #50. Absolutely brilliant. Not what I was expecting at all, and I'm incredibly excited at this new direction. 

The only downer was that the volume ended on the Casey And April miniseries. Now come on. This would have been a good half issue story, microseries oneshot at most. At 4 issues it contained so little content, I felt completely conned. I thought the artist had potential, but there was no way of knowing as she never got got the chance to draw anything of interest. Just a complete waste of time, space, and punter's money. Easily the worst TMNT IDW I've read so far. 

I've now received volumes 8 and 9 of the The IDW COLLECTIONS. Currently reading Bebop And Rocksteady Destroy The Universe, what a fun story! Probably my favourite limited series so far. 

So, anyone get the FCBD issue? What was it like? I unfortunately missed out. 

On 5/10/2022 at 2:37 PM, Cat said:

I've now received volumes 8 and 9 of the The IDW COLLECTIONS. Currently reading Bebop And Rocksteady Destroy The Universe, what a fun story! Probably my favourite limited series so far. 

So, anyone get the FCBD issue? What was it like? I unfortunately missed out. 

It's sitting in my pull, I have to go pick it up this weekend.

Midway through volume 12, sad that I'm getting so close to the end of this wonderful experience. Seeing that Waltz is coming back for The Armageddon Games, I'm thinking I may pick that up, and may even add the regular book monthly for a bit, see how I go.