• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just pencils or inked?

21 posts in this topic

Just curious what type of art everyone prefers. I've got a few pieces in pencil, a few others fully inked. They all have their own charm. But my wife has a strong opinion: she thinks pencils are much nicer to look at.

What do you prefer?

Just curious what type of art everyone prefers. I've got a few pieces in pencil, a few others fully inked. They all have their own charm. But my wife has a strong opinion: she thinks pencils are much nicer to look at.

What do you prefer?

For the clarity of reproduction (publication purposes), artwork is best inked. Examples of comic-book artwork, existing as pencils only work, are minute. Off the top of my head, some of the EC Pre-Trend stories were shot from tight pencil work, but the experiment was limited and short-lived. There was a Barry Smith CONAN comic-book that was pencils only - due to Smith being overdue on the assignment.

Most pencil work is either prelims or commissions.

I have no absolute preference, as pencil work can be very beautiful - especially for the delicate tonal range and softness of the art.

I have a pencils-only MODESTY BLAISE tryout daily in one of my CAF Galleries (Sunday and Daily strips). The work is stunning.

Have a look-see, if you're interested in pencil art:

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

What do you prefer?

For the clarity of reproduction (publication purposes), artwork is best inked. Examples of comic-book artwork, existing as pencils only work, are minute. Off the top of my head, some of the EC Pre-Trend stories were shot from tight pencil work, but the experiment was limited and short-lived. There was a Barry Smith CONAN comic-book that was pencils only - due to Smith being overdue on the assignment.

This is changing. There are several variations on the theme, but there's a lot more art being produced in just pencil these days. For one thing, more and more people are shooting directly from pencils- Cary Nord on Conan is a popular example. There are even guys who do fully rendered pencils which are then digitally colored (the first I remember being Jay Anacleto on Aria in late 90s.) There's also the digitally "inked" and colored variation like Frank Quitely on WE3- much to my sadness, I would love a piece of art from that series.

Then, of course, there are people like Ringo, who pencil, scan and email the files over to the inker, keeping the pencils for himself...

Pencils For most but inks on some. For walt simonson pencils for JG jones pencils John Romia Sr. either. Don Rosa either eric larsen pencils Neil gaiman with pencil or ink they are both great. Frank Cho either, Mark Brooks Good pencils but better inked, Gill fox better inked, sam keith i'll take it anyway I can get it but I perfer it inked.

Yeah, I'm finding that some of the newer artist's I've spoken to do the pencil then scan in the image and they are then digitally inked and colored.

I personally love pencils for their detail, but inks stand out a little better.

It depends on what the piece is and whos doing it. A con sketch usually looks better if it's just pencils only. However, if the artist has time to really put in some smooth ink lines it can really make the piece stand out.

If I had to choose I guess I would go with just pencil. Artists usually add more detail and shading.

I like inked stuff too, but I have the Hulk 34 cover which is all pencil....and it doesn't bother me in the least. I know that was one of the reasons why i was able to get it from the rep ; people passed on it because of the price and they didn't want to pay that amount for pencils. I have seen a couple of pieces, like Hari's Greg Horn Elecktra cover and a Dale Keown Hulk commission that not only are they spectacular in pencils, they probably would be ruined if you inked them.

I'll take either, especially with Silver Age art.

Check out Glen Gold's Jack Kirby gallery on Comicartfans.com

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=3476

He's got a couple of GORGEOUS pencils by Kirby. I would give my left nut for stuff like that because although Sinnott inked Kirby great, many inkers did not. Jack's pencils were unbelievable, as seen in just about any copy of the Jack Kirby Collector.

What do you prefer?

This is changing. There are several variations on the theme, but there's a lot more art being produced in just pencil these days. For one thing, more and more people are shooting directly from pencils- Cary Nord on Conan is a popular example. There are even guys who do fully rendered pencils which are then digitally colored (the first I remember being Jay Anacleto on Aria in late 90s.) There's also the digitally "inked" and colored variation like Frank Quitely on WE3- much to my sadness, I would love a piece of art from that series.

Then, of course, there are people like Ringo, who pencil, scan and email the files over to the inker, keeping the pencils for himself...

Shows you how much I know about 'modern' comics! tonofbricks.gif

Really great pencils lend a texture to art that inking can't. However, inkwash can provide some of that detail.

Hey Norin - that is an excellent statement. I can't help but agree - straight inking can really take away some of the inherent beauty of a nice pencil piece.