• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Werewolf By Night #32 - Copy 2 with Printing Defect
2 2

12 posts in this topic

I have a couple of copies that up at the newsstand years ago. One of them has a serious printing defect. Ink density?

Other than the printing defect, both issues are of similar quality - spine stress marks, edge wear and damage to the bottom right corner.

What I want to know is how much is the printing defect going to hurt.

Here is the copy with the defect, please see the other post to view the one without the defect.

OK I'll jump in, it actually looks more like sunlight fading to me

Red materials are good absorbers of photons of ultraviolet (UV) light. The result is that the red-emitting chromophores degrade at a faster rate, triggering fading.

The back cover reds are still red.

Blue always seems to be the last color to fade out, so you're left with this strange blue/white picture.

See Moon Knight

But this is just my opinion and I could be way off base. I'm sure somebody with better experience can reply

On 4/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, Just Visiting said:

Red materials are good absorbers of photons of ultraviolet (UV) light. The result is that the red-emitting chromophores degrade at a faster rate, triggering fading.

Blue always seems to be the last color to fade out, so you're left with this strange blue/white picture.

See Moon Knight

But this is just my opinion and I could be way off base. I'm sure somebody with better experience can reply

I agree with this, 100%. The red/yellow/blue on the back cover are pretty rich and vibrant. That wouldn't be the case if the cover was printed poorly, with low ink levels or anything like that. So, I'd conclude this copy was stored out in the open (maybe on top of a stack of books) and exposed to UV over the years.

Structurally, I have this copy at about a 6.0. But, the Overstreet guide suggests fading is only "allowed" at 4.0/4.5. I'll split the difference, and call this a 5.0. Unfortunately, if you're looking to sell, the reduced eye appeal on this one might make it a tough sell.

On 4/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, Just Visiting said:

See Moon Knight

This is how I felt 100% the second I saw the book