• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Star Wars #3
4 4

17 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2022 at 7:04 PM, jcjames said:

Oh no. Really? I hope you didn't pay more than a couple bucks for it! 

I’m trying to remember but I don’t think I did 

I think I thought I just got a super good deal 😅

I didn't know there even was more than one version of the book

I mean I was never gonna make big money one it, that’s not why I got it, but I was hoping to have it be worth a little more than I payed for it and it sounds like at best I broke even 

Which is better than losing money, which given the last few books people on here took a look at, I just might have 😂 

On 4/4/2022 at 1:37 PM, grendelbo said:

5.5/6.0

I'm thinking the cover has more creasing than the pics are showing.

This is a reprint.

Thanks for posting.

5.5 maybe a 6.0. Is it because the upc area is blank? What determined the reprint?

On 4/4/2022 at 8:15 PM, Februus said:

5.5 maybe a 6.0. Is it because the upc area is blank? What determined the reprint?

Go sign up for the grading contest.

:baiting:

And I could be wrong about the reprint. Check the indicia text on the first page. This pic may be hard to see but zoom in.

Screenshot_20220404-201608_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7ecab511bdc87ef6ff0e37a7bdcb3e22.jpg

I knew something was up with that ….he can check that in the indicia just to be sure. Buy I think you’re spot on. I want to get in on the grading contest but I won’t be able to stay till the end. So I will skip this one 

On 4/4/2022 at 9:47 PM, Just Visiting said:

just checked my copies of this book. 35 cents are reprints, the middle one has the word reprint next to Luke Skywalker. and the other one says "This is a reprint of a previously published issue" on page one.

20220404_233818.jpg

Follows that chart. Thanks for confirming.

All reprints and each are different.

I_Love_the_70s.thumb.png.6f6eaa747396ad25fe4d49a36f08ff6b.png

I just opened the book to confirm and right there at the bottom of page 1

”This is a reprint of previously published material”

Guy I got it from said nothing about a reprint, just that it was “the Whitman variant” 😒

So sounds like I definitely overpaid, which is annoying but guess that’s part of collecting ☹️

Cool cover though, so that’s something 

On 4/5/2022 at 1:05 AM, ComicMarty said:

I just opened the book to confirm and right there at the bottom of page 1

”This is a reprint of previously published material”

Guy I got it from said nothing about a reprint, just that it was “the Whitman variant” 😒

So sounds like I definitely overpaid, which is annoying but guess that’s part of collecting ☹️

Cool cover though, so that’s something 

For a little more context on this: Whitman is a publisher that would reprint a lot of books during that era, mostly Marvel and DC titles. These Whitman versions would often be sold in poly-bagged sets of 3 or 4 comics, sold in department stores, convenience stores, etc. Something like $0.99 for 3 or 4 comics, which was a great deal for a kid needing to stretch their allowance :) (See pic attached here). I think it's more accurate to call them reprints than "variants", but the seller isn't wrong about that ... they are variants.
While not as valuable as the 1st printings, a lot of completists like to collect one copy of EVERY variant, so they do have a bit of value.

I'd say yours is about a 6.0, thanks for sharing!

star-wars-3-1977-whitman-pack-sealed_1_0f1bdec37eda5aed543d08499a146e2e.jpeg

Back when I bought it I didn’t know what “Whitman variant” meant...

Now I guess I could have researched it but I just thought “variant? Sounds like this must be a deal, better snatch it before somebody else does”

Well sounds like it wasn’t and I should have just saved my let somebody else get it 😐

But now I know 

I just wanted a cool SW comic like the cool guys have 😢

On 4/4/2022 at 4:37 PM, grendelbo said:

5.5/6.0

I'm thinking the cover has more creasing than the pics are showing.

This is a reprint.

Thanks for posting.

On 4/4/2022 at 10:15 PM, Februus said:

as is 5.5