• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A question about Raboy
2 2

18 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2022 at 6:31 AM, Prince Namor said:

Depends on how specific you want to get.

His first published work is an in-house ad in Prize Comics #5, released in May of 1940 (cover date July 1940) for The Green Lama.

It is believed that he penciled, along with John Hampton, an 8 page Lance Hale story in Silver Streak Comics #6 (Lev Gleason), released July 1940 (cover date September 1940). 

With John Hampton writing, he pencils and inks a 5 page Dr. Voodoo story in Whiz Comics #9 (Fawcett), released August 1940 (cover date October 1940). This would be his first real, solo work.

He'd do another 5 pg Dr. Voodoo story with John Hampton writing, in Whiz Comics #10 (Fawcett), released September 1940 (cover date November 1940). 

THEN, he would do his first Green Lama 8 page story (writer, Ken Crossen), in Prize Comics #7 (Black Owl cover by Jack Kirby), released October 1940 (cover date December 1940).

note: Green Lama (Jethro Dumont) was first introduced in the pulp magazine Double Detective #5 (April 1940 cover date).

His first COVER would be of Minute Man for Master Comics #12 (Fawcett) released February 1941 (cover date March 1941).

All of this information is available at comics.org and mikesamazingworld.com

I think I’m going to convince myself his first work was Whiz 9 instead of Silver Streak for budget purposes 😂. Thanks so much!