• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader notes.
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I mean...if I am looking at two comics that are the same grade, let's say 4.5 for each. Personally, I want the 4.5 that is all attached and does not contain certain defects like stains. So maybe one 4.5 has more cover wear and the other is sharper but has some light staining. I will put my money towards the 4.5 with a bit more wear and would pay slightly more for the copy I prefer.

So I guess in a roundabout way, yes, grader's notes could affect the grade if you have a collector like myself who tries to avoid certain flaws. Otherwise, it comes down to appearance. The 4.5 that looks better should sell for more...and that can be determined by simply seeing the book and page quality, the grader's notes likely factor in little here. 

There is also the potential for grader's notes to help increase the value, especially if the flaws noted are all "bends and indentations". Someone might see that and get aspirations of pressing a 4.5 book into the 5.5-6.0 range, so they might spend a little more if they know the flaws from the grader's notes and feel that they can obtain a grade bump after pressing and cleaning that book. 

As per usual, the answer is sometimes.

If the note is "smells like urine", its gonna make me pause and consider my options.

If the comic looks fairly nice in the slab but gets chopped to a 5.0 because one of the interior pages is partially but significantly torn, I might prefer that to the urine comic, even if the urine comic is higher graded.

For the OP, if you are having trouble conceptualizing this, play devil's advocate with yourself about what defects/notes you would prefer if cost and grade are exactly the same. 

If possible, pretend like you are trying choose between two different things you want, and they cost about the same and you can buy only buy one.  

Technically speaking, grader's notes don't AFFECT the value of a comic, they REFLECT the value of a comic.

They could, however, affect the SALE of a comic, in ways that others have described, by highlighting properties of a book which do affect its value.