• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a beauty!Nicest Pep 23 I've seen.

63 posts in this topic

I'm tempted. I just sold a few books that could cover it.

That's where you and I differ! wink.gif It's out of thrill bid range for me now, sadly...It is a nice book, but it's no Millie the Model #1. yay.gif

I'm going to have to stop being a cheapskate who only bids 1x Guide on these early Peps - I'm being left for dead every time!

Boy those last ten minutes are going to be exciting! White pages! I'm tempted. I just sold a few books that could cover it.

Well, this book certainly disproves the theory that 2nd tier GA publishers such as MLJ are dead as this particular copy is already at multiple times guide. Even more spectacular, considering that it is only a RAW book in a CGC centric marketplace, where raw books generally sell for only discounts to guide. 893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Well, this book certainly disproves the theory that 2nd tier GA publishers such as MLJ are dead as this particular copy is already at multiple times guide.

I agree with you that MLJ is a second tier publisher, but I'm not sure that Archie is a second tier character--at least he's on my list of 10 most important comic book characters of all time smile.gif. Things would certainly be different if this was Pep 21 instead of Pep 23.

It will be interesting to see where this finishes.

Well, this book certainly disproves the theory that 2nd tier GA publishers such as MLJ are dead as this particular copy is already at multiple times guide.

I agree with you that MLJ is a second tier publisher, but I'm not sure that Archie is a second tier character--at least he's on my list of 10 most important comic book characters of all time smile.gif. Things would certainly be different if this was Pep 21 instead of Pep 23.

It will be interesting to see where this finishes.

After watching a Jacpot 7 in vg/fine go for 510.00 a couple of weeks ago there's no telling where this will go. Prices seem to have almost doubled in a year or two on some items. ArchieI think, just might have been one of the most significant characters to come out the war years.

Well, this book certainly disproves the theory that 2nd tier GA publishers such as MLJ are dead as this particular copy is already at multiple times guide. Even more spectacular, considering that it is only a RAW book in a CGC centric marketplace, where raw books generally sell for only discounts to guide.

One book selling for over guide doesn't disprove anything. Certain books such as Pep 20, 22 and 23 have always sold very well, and probably always will. The majority of second tier titles such as Master Comics, Whiz, Pep, and a whole lot of Centaurs and Fiction House books sell below guide. Certain issues within those runs always do better.

I would say that Pep 22-51 have a pretty good track record with certain issues standing out. For some reaon overstreet hasn't caught up with the market and it could be because all we usually see are low grade copies. Issues 22-30 always do well in lower grade,along with 34,36,41,42,44,47,49,51. To mention a few. And if you have 22-51 in vg or better they all do well.Make no mistake, MLJ is a second tier company, but Pep is a first tier book. 1st patriotic superhero and of course, Archie, who is an iconic figure in comics and our culture. Now the issues I mentioned and their importance, are my opinion, others may see issues I left out as being more significant, but none of them should be underestimated.

Whew, only the strong survive. We're so used to seeing high grade stuff all the time but not with those early Peps. Other than the Mile High Pep 23 we may never see one that nice again and when we do it'll go double. That lucky bidder who pulled the trigger probably has one of the top 5 Pep 23's in existence.

Whew, only the strong survive. We're so used to seeing high grade stuff all the time but not with those early Peps. Other than the Mile High Pep 23 we may never see one that nice again and when we do it'll go double. That lucky bidder who pulled the trigger probably has one of the top 5 Pep 23's in existence.

Yes, looked like quite a bit of action in the last minute of the auction.

Too bad Shield didn't win it since he was willing to pay a pretty nice price for the book. Four times condition guide for a raw F/VF book shows pretty strong price support for the book. This kind of multiple is usually reserved for high grade pedigree books. Must be proof that these books are extremely undervalued in guide.

Any idea who the eventual winner is? Doesn't seem to really be in comics since his only comic related win was a Carl Barks Library Set for $16.00. Most of his other wins were either basecall card related or baby related items ranging from baby cheerleader dresses to Pampers coupons. Wonder how long he'll be hanging onto this book for? confused-smiley-013.gif

I know if I had won the book, it would have been in my collection for the next 10-20 years. Might take that long for the guide to catch up to it from a value point of view, since OS is so far behind the real market when it comes to books like Pep #23. 27_laughing.gif