• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader notes on a 9.8 comic.

7 posts in this topic

I recently received a 9.8 grade on a comic with a grader note ' large stacking bend full right of back cover'. I am new to CGC and don't understand why you would do this. I want to sell this book and now wonder how this will affect the price? The other books that were graded (6 total) did not receive grader notes. This book Amazing Fantasy 15 1st Amadeus Cho has sold for over 1,500 dollars on EBAY at 9.8 no grader notes. How will this affect the price? Why put grader notes on a 9.8 and not the other books I submitted. Are grader notes optional. I would appreciate any feed back on this matter. Would it do any good to contact CGC about this.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:16 AM, 56 said:

Why put grader notes on a 9.8 and not the other books I submitted. Are grader notes optional.

It may have been Gem Mint without the defect. Grader notes are only optional for the CGC employees. I don't think that graders are taking commands from customers as to whether or not they want notes.

To me it seems odd the book would get 9.8 in the first place....is it noticeable? Pictures would be neat to see. 

As for the grading note, at least you got one. Most people never know why their books aren't higher because on 9.6 and higher they never say why it landed where it did....

I don't think it will have a huge impact on the price.  Most people at 9.8 don't even check notes.  Unless it easily seen from the naked eye that it has a defect, I wouldn't worry about it.

Some people might even see it as a chance to press and get a higher grade.

9.8's aren't perfect.  

On 4/7/2022 at 10:16 AM, 56 said:

I recently received a 9.8 grade on a comic with a grader note ' large stacking bend full right of back cover'. I am new to CGC and don't understand why you would do this. I want to sell this book and now wonder how this will affect the price? The other books that were graded (6 total) did not receive grader notes. This book Amazing Fantasy 15 1st Amadeus Cho has sold for over 1,500 dollars on EBAY at 9.8 no grader notes. How will this affect the price? Why put grader notes on a 9.8 and not the other books I submitted. Are grader notes optional. I would appreciate any feed back on this matter. Would it do any good to contact CGC about this.

Either an incorrect grade or incorrect note, unless stacking bends are overlooked. 

Any note with the words "large" and "bend" seem like grade should be affected. 

Does the label look like it belongs with that book? 

Post pictures of label and damage. 

Edited by Sigur Ros