• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WANTED: Maleev Daredevil cover

14 posts in this topic

Whatcha got?

I'm not interested in commissions or color guides, DC, or other unpublished work. 

I am aware of what's on Heritage, Comic Link, Comic Connect, eBay, and Comic Art Tracker.

On 4/9/2022 at 10:53 AM, Twanj said:

Whatcha got?

I'm not interested in commissions or color guides, DC, or other unpublished work. 

I am aware of what's on Heritage, Comic Link, Comic Connect, eBay, and Comic Art Tracker.

How many Maleev DD covers are out there considering he worked digitally during his Bendis run?

Malvin

On 4/10/2022 at 5:48 PM, malvin said:

How many Maleev DD covers are out there considering he worked digitally during his Bendis run?

I kind of assume all of em?

I got 1 and saw 2 lately and there's a few on CAF. He assembled digitally but it looks like there's quite a bit of the characters out there.

Probably most aren't recognized as what they are since they're just bits & pieces.

On 4/10/2022 at 3:04 PM, Twanj said:

I kind of assume all of em?

I got 1 and saw 2 lately and there's a few on CAF. He assembled digitally but it looks like there's quite a bit of the characters out there.

Probably most aren't recognized as what they are since they're just bits & pieces.

Interesting.  I know during the run there were hand drawn bits and pieces.  I just assumed they were all over (some covers, some interiors) and didn't think most were cover elements.

Malvin

On 4/10/2022 at 6:07 PM, malvin said:

Interesting.  I know during the run there were hand drawn bits and pieces.  I just assumed they were all over (some covers, some interiors) and didn't think most were cover elements.

Well, I'd love to know for sure. I thought I asked around but may have to do more digging.

Here are my bits:

Daredevil_Vol_2_34_cover.thumb.jpeg.9d8383583a8f8f66ef0d887e4260bb6a.jpeg

Daredevil_Vol_2_34_cover_published.thumb.jpeg.ece6cf8506e35cab2adb1d8c964d9037.jpegDaredevil_Vol2_37-019.webp.99a748f841d2a4cdf27fdf4413fa8918.webpDaredevil_Vol2_37-019.thumb.jpg.b725115f641bd3042fc44aba51f611e5.jpg

Here's the other 2 covers recently:

512807454_DD_vx_27_cover_Maleev_1500RM.thumb.jpg.60170d470a7b57b4a3bf8cf21dbdeccb.jpgDD_v2_40_cover_section_Maleev_A4_400UKPkca.jpg.e7032ddc2210e7bd6e27ade54f53894d.jpgimage.png.b0ccd2970586622cbe2920aebb18005d.png

Edited by Twanj

Interesting post and I would love to learn more about it.

So the first example you post, the pencil piece supposed to be the final piece for the cover - but there are differences if you ask me. Or was it used as a draft to be then fine tuned digitally?

The other piece, the interior DD, seems pretty identical to the published page, but then again the baton / rope or whatever you call it got added and the image is only a part of the complete page, was the rest done digital?

I simply would like to know more about it. I like his work, but don’t have much knowledge about how he did that particular run.

On 4/12/2022 at 9:37 AM, wurstisart said:

Interesting post and I would love to learn more about it.

So the first example you post, the pencil piece supposed to be the final piece for the cover - but there are differences if you ask me. Or was it used as a draft to be then fine tuned digitally?

The other piece, the interior DD, seems pretty identical to the published page, but then again the baton / rope or whatever you call it got added and the image is only a part of the complete page, was the rest done digital?

I simply would like to know more about it. I like his work, but don’t have much knowledge about how he did that particular run.

My understanding is that he did the character elements on paper with either pencil or pencils & ink.

A lot of it is on smaller scratch paper not 11x17 bristol board.

Some of it is just a chain, head, or smaller element that he changed.

Scan it, then assemble digitally. Make tweaks. Add backgrounds.

If you read the run, a lot of the backgrounds seem to be photos (?) (or maybe he drew em separately, or found images?) which adds to the realism and I guess saves him time from doing backgrounds, because who cares about that? I'd rather have all the effort/time put into characters and the story and not backgrounds.

The way it's put together is really cool. I'm a fan of the process. I'm glad not all art is like this, and you have a full normal page rendered in most cases. But as a change, this is interesting to have.

Edited by Twanj

This got me interested.

I looked around and for the first 25 issues, 10 covers are out there publicly. There are some more painted/artificial looking covers that may not have anything original. It looks like toward the end he may have gone mostly digital?

Of the second run, I only see 1.5 covers out there.

Daredevil (vol.2) #26-50, 56-81

On 4/13/2022 at 3:05 PM, Dayzen said:

Have you checked out Kirby’s comic art’s website? I remember they had some covers for sale before. Annabel is his rep. 

Also, not a cover but here is my maleev with Elektra and DD

That's great!

Yes, I picked up a Maleev FF cover and DD #38 from Kirby/Annabel. She was awesome.UltimateOrigins_5_cover_Maleev.jpeg.fb5bb8541e830e8468a32938fc4105bf.jpeg

So here's what I was able to find with what's still currently online as far as covers:

Daredevil (vol.2) #26-50

#26 (2 parts), 27, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 40, 46, 49, 

#56-81

56, 64 (DD), 

This is great information. I assumed they were all digital. Very cool that you have found all of this out. 

He was a guest at a Chicago convention in 2008. The first day, I jetted over to his table and there wasn't a soul there. I walked up to him and he was working on a watercolor commission of Elektra at the time. He was really nice and we talked about his Daredevil art. I asked if he was still taking commissions and lo and behold, he only had that Elektra commission to work on. I paid for a DD bust watercolor and he asked if I wanted it in my sketchbook. I said that would work and chatted for a bit longer and went on my way. Later that day, he waved me over. He asked if it would be okay for it to be an inked piece because he was afraid the watercolors wouldn't work with the sketchbook paper. I said sure.  He had taken like 5 or 6 more commissions and asked if I would be there tomorrow. I had tickets for everyday so I said yes. He said come back tomorrow morning and it would be ready. 

The next day, I ran over to his table and he was setting up. He looked up and grabbed my book. He opened it up to my commission and kept looking at it. He said he really liked how it turned out and was sorry for it not being a watercolor. He said he wouldn't charge me for a water color and it would only be $60.00. He then looked down on it again and handed me my book. I was blown away. I thanked him and told him it was amazing. I gave him $100.00 and said I didn't need the change. He said that was too much and politely told him it was well worth it. 

I showed it to Brian M Bendis and he was blown away by it. He took a picture of it and sent it some people. A few days go bye and I get a phone call from a number I don't recognize. I let it go to voicemail. It was Alex wanting to know if I had a scanner and could email him a hi-res jpg of it. He was going to use it for something. I called him back and sent him the image. He was going to use it in his sketchbook that Anthony was going to sell. 

maldd.jpg.8e9121a3e2fff630f2eb6ddb635e1892.jpg