• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) 97% Fresh

41 posts in this topic

Ke Huy Quan made history Sunday night at the 29th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards. Quan, who accepted the SAG Award for outstanding performance by a male actor in a supporting role for Everything Everywhere All at Once, is now the first Asian male film winner. Quan is the second Asian actor to win an individual award at the annual guild ceremony celebrating outstanding film and television performances: last year, Lee Jung-jae won at the SAG Awards for male actor in a drama series for television's Squid Game.

"Recently, I was told that if I were to win tonight, I would become the very first Asian actor to win in this category. When I heard this, I quickly realized that this moment no longer belongs to just me," an emotional Quan said. "It also belongs to everyone who has asked for change. When I stepped away from acting, it was because there were so few opportunities. And now, tonight, here we are."

On 3/13/2023 at 3:50 PM, mtracy64 said:

I finally watched this Saturday and was surprised at how good it was. It's great to see it win so many awards and Michelle and Jamie Lee were both long overdue.

Good in what way?

On 3/17/2023 at 9:58 AM, drotto said:

So how bad is Indy 5 looking for not including Short Round?

Wonder if the bean counters are trying to figure out how much it would cost to digitally replace PWB with KHQ. 

“No time for time travel Doctor Jones”

On 3/15/2023 at 5:12 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Good in what way?

Part of what this film has going for it is you're not really sure what you're watching, so when it veers off in a new direction, it catches you by surprise. Some of the sight gags would have fallen flat if the audience walked in expecting a comedy, but the element of surprise makes it hilarious in context.

• Is it a movie about living the life you have instead of the one that might have been?  Check.
  • Does it address how do we love someone with a mental illness? Yes
  • Does it have something to say about the different ways we exhibit bravery in our lives?  10-4 (Ke Huy Quan's speech about "This is how I fight.")
  • Does it touch on dealing with inter-generational expectations? certainly within immigrant families, but also applies more broadly
  • Most importantly, do the characters have floppy hot dogs for fingers?  Why, yes, they do indeed...

Watched it for the second time. Very inventive, a lot going on, Michelle and Short Round were great, but I agree more with the online opinions I’ve read that  the daughter deserved a Supporting Actor award more than Jamie Lee, and it seemed more of a lifetime achievement accolade.

Very inventive film, but I wasn’t that thrilled by it.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:27 PM, Zonker said:
  • Is it a movie about living the life you have instead of the one that might have been?  Check.
  • Does it address how do we love someone with a mental illness? Yes
  • Does it have something to say about the different ways we exhibit bravery in our lives?  10-4 (Ke Huy Quan's speech about "This is how I fight.")
  • Does it touch on dealing with inter-generational expectations? certainly within immigrant families, but also applies more broadly

I liked those aspects more.

More in a social, than multiverse or fight scene mood, I suppose.

It was bizarre and confusing at times.  But it was oddly charming and entertaining.  It has a lot going on.  It’s not  going to be everyone’s cup of tea.  
The characters were great and I actually cared about them.  
The message I got from it was more about your perceptions of your world/life and that the choice(s) we make in how we decide to see things will shape your happiness/unhappiness.  
Hard to call it original is it borrows from so many movies before it, but definitely unique.  Worth a watch. 
8/10