Which would you rather have?
4 4

26 posts in this topic

Which would you rather have? 

When trying to figure the value of my collection using GPA, I find myself questioning the data.  Clearly, there is much more to the value of a comic than a numerical grade.  Page quality,  general appearance and pedigree designation have to be considered.  So, I thought I would ask for others' thoughts on the topic.  Please share your thoughts.  Also, I would be interested in examples that you might wish to share. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a 9.8 chaser so I'd always rather have the 9.6 plus the 100k.  If I submit a book and it comes back a 9.8 or 9.6 - even if it's for my PC - I'll sell that and buy the book I'll keep.  My rule for buying things that will stay in my collection is OW/W or better, 9.4 modern, 9.2 copper, 6.0 bronze, 4.0 silver.  

But as far as finding values, I don't really think about it if they're going into my PC except for insurance purposes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 4:33 PM, Comicsarefun said:

So here is the first example.

The cost of these books were 100K apart, so which would you rather have?

 

This book and $100K

52E272A3-9718-497E-983B-264BF54490CC.thumb.jpeg.6785fa701440e250b6ed89c6e33e0e8d.jpeg.c865c7d71a870cdbe5de1ce303fdec6c.jpeg

or this book?

DB6A951D-33C6-4978-B701-6FBEF4B8A0BE.jpeg.7b55938f49a4df4afd3415085eba6a82.jpeg.a8c6e87b73116819c59d1dbcae3701f5.jpeg

9.6 plus 100k!so where do i sign to win?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 3:32 PM, B2D327 said:

If you have the money and want to be frugal, the lower priced copies would allow you to invest what you saved in more books for greater investment potential, imo

Isn't that the thing.  If you have the money.....  I'm thinking of people like Nick Cage.  Actors, and sports players, and politicians, and lawyers and Dr.'s and Dentists and professional people. 

There are some bloody rich folk out there who have money to burn.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll just take the money…period.  Then, I can buy a :censored:load of low grade unique and/or signed comics.  While other people are spending a fortune on high-priced ‘keys’, I’ll be buying cool stuff that I’ll want to look at everyday.  And I’ll still have money left over to pay bills. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 7:20 PM, Senormac said:

Isn't that the thing.  If you have the money.....  I'm thinking of people like Nick Cage.  Actors, and sports players, and politicians, and lawyers and Dr.'s and Dentists and professional people. 

There are some bloody rich folk out there who have money to burn.  

Lets start a cgc forum charity thread then and take money from those suckers!:takeit:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course given the choice between a 9.6 or 9.8 in a world where I have an infinite cash flow I'm definitely going with the 9.8. But realistically a 100k price discrepancy for a .2 grade bump isn't justifiable imo. As for pedigrees I don't care much unless it's from the Mile High Collection simply because of how widely known that collection was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 8:45 PM, Beyonder123 said:

Of course given the choice between a 9.6 or 9.8 in a world where I have an infinite cash flow I'm definitely going with the 9.8. But realistically a 100k price discrepancy for a .2 grade bump isn't justifiable imo. As for pedigrees I don't care much unless it's from the Mile High Collection simply because of how widely known that collection was.

If you could add one to your collection for free, you would choose the Mile High Action #87 in 9.0 over the 9.4 Crowley copy?  Many people might do so. The Promise Collection 8.0 sold for over 3k. I am not sure the Crowley copy or the Mile High would have gone for more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2022 at 5:33 PM, Galen130 said:

I’ll just take the money…period.  Then, I can buy a :censored:load of low grade unique and/or signed comics.  While other people are spending a fortune on high-priced ‘keys’, I’ll be buying cool stuff that I’ll want to look at everyday.  And I’ll still have money left over to pay bills. lol

Fair enough!  But, you didn't exactly answer the question.  If you could choose one of the Action Comics #33s and one of the #87s (without having to pay for them) which would you choose?  Even if your only intention was to sell them, which one would you pick? 

Edited by Comicsarefun
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, Comicsarefun said:

Fair enough!  But, you didn't exactly answer the question.  If you could choose one of the Action Comics #33s and one of the #87s (without having to pay for them) which would you choose?  Even if your only intention was to sell them, which one would you pick? 

Damn, I feel like I’m back in school again…’just answer the question already!!!’ lol

Okay, DD 9.6, AC #33 6.5, AC #77 9.0. :sumo:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4