• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Silver Surfer #4 (1968)
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Just got Silver Surfer 3 and 4 in today raw. SS4 is one of my long time wishlist books, and I got it in this package "deal". I am currently wondering if I should send both books off for grading to sell the SS3 to help cover the cost. The seller's estimated grades for the books were 4.5 for the SS3 and 3.5 for the SS4.

The SS3 seems to be in pretty good shape, and just has the (seemingly common) manufacturing defect where one of the interior staples is missing.

I was a little disappointed in the tear on the SS4 as I could not see it from the pictures online, but it seems to be the biggest thing bringing down the grade. The first page also seems to have a manufacturing defect where the bottom of the page is angled and did not get stapled. (I've never seen it before, and was wondering if it was not that crazy) The bottom staple seems to be deep in the last page, but not fully torn through. https://imgur.com/gallery/kVRaSfj

Any input and estimated grades are greatly appreciated! Please let me know if more pictures are needed.

1 - VbLXWEq.jpg

2 - hEd8in6.jpg

3 - qqQVww7.jpg

4 - tC0e2rp.jpg

5 - Ym6hHB1.jpg

6 - DxMetr1.jpg

7 - t3ioPJp.jpg

8 - kD7ip5X.jpg

9 - bYf1RQN.jpg

10 - HT8eTKY.jpg

11 - LTTF39e.jpg

12 - xLjC8pO.jpg

13 - 3EFiVIX.jpg

14 - 05DQRhr.jpg

15 - fEC676l.jpg

16 - ntIgQUV.jpg

17 - 0O6ilxZ.jpg

18 - cVnvEL8.jpg

19 - fGAIKgZ.jpg

Edited by Hartie Spence
edited to put photos directly into the post and remove photos of issue 3

On 4/15/2022 at 7:40 PM, Stevemmg said:

In my opinion you have a nicely presenting 3.0 on the #4, and a 4.0 on the #3. :)

Thanks for the input. I personally feel that the SS #4 presents like a 6.0 on the front, which I'm pretty happy with. The tear just makes me nervous.

On 4/16/2022 at 8:56 PM, Hartie Spence said:

Agh! very sorry, I forgot about that rule since it had been a while since I posted. Would it be best for me to remove the post and separate the books?

No, just edit the title for one book and delete/edit the post to show one book.  You can delete pics for one of them. (thumbsu

I’m at a 3.0 on this.  Don’t think a press will help the grade, but may make it present a tad better in hand.  As for the first pages mis-aligning and not being stapled, I’ve seen this is on several square bound Silver Surfer issues, so nothing new there.  I had (sold it) a number 3 with the first few pages like that and it didn’t seem to hurt the grade.

On 4/17/2022 at 6:39 PM, Tank the Dog said:

I’m at a 3.0 on this.  Don’t think a press will help the grade, but may make it present a tad better in hand.  As for the first pages mis-aligning and not being stapled, I’ve seen this is on several square bound Silver Surfer issues, so nothing new there.  I had (sold it) a number 3 with the first few pages like that and it didn’t seem to hurt the grade.

Thanks for the feedback! 3.0 isn't terrible compared to an anticipated 3.5 I guess.