• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sal Buscema is a God
1 1

175 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2023 at 6:51 PM, Rick2you2 said:

So by this logic, Jamie Moyer should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame? He pitched for 26 years, and thereby accumulated 269 wins. 

Most fans wouldn't agree. Neither have the Hall of Fame voters.

When you look at the output of Sal compared to his compatriots, the Moyer comparison makes no sense. It isn’t just the longevity, that’s just one factor. It’s the total quality output ,spanning more generations than nearly any other artist, and doing it at a high professional level new fans could get into over the decades. For your comparison to work, Moyer would have needed more like 369 wins in that time with a near 3.00 era. Would a 369 win 3.00 era pitcher go to the hall of fame in your opinion? He is more aptly compared to Nolan Ryan who I think never won a Cy Young or MVP and most of his career he wasn’t an all star, yet is still remembered as one of the best for his overall body of work.

The biggest problem I’ve always had with the “he was just there” argument is that it doesn’t take into account why he was “just there”. As if anybody who felt like it would be fun for a while got to be a professional paid marvel artist. Like it’s no great feat being asked to work for decades on premier books. That they were just handing these things out and he happened to “just be there” when they were.

It’s always a fun discussion though. I’ve enjoyed seeing all the people (even his haters) talk about their favorite era or book of his. I personally became a fan on his New Mutants and then Spectacular Spider-Man runs, although I’m now more drawn to earlier Hulk and Defenders work. 

Edited by zhamlau

On 2/7/2023 at 11:53 AM, zhamlau said:

When you look at the output of Sal compared to his compatriots, the Moyer comparison makes no sense. It isn’t just the longevity, that’s just one factor. It’s the total quality output ,spanning more generations than nearly any other artist, and doing it at a high professional level new fans could get into over the decades. For your comparison to work, Moyer would have needed more like 369 wins in that time with a near 3.00 era. Would a 369 win 3.00 era pitcher go to the hall of fame in your opinion? He is more aptly compared to Nolan Ryan who I think never won a Cy Young or MVP and most of his career he wasn’t an all star, yet is still remembered as one of the best for his overall body of work.

The biggest problem I’ve always had with the “he was just there” argument is that it doesn’t take into account why he was “just there”. As if anybody who felt like it would be fun for a while got to be a professional paid marvel artist being allowed to work decades on premier books. That they were just handing these things out and he was the only one around to happen to “just be there”. 

It’s always a fun discussion though. I’ve enjoyed seeing all the people (even his haters) talk about their favorite era or book of his. I personally became a fan on his New Mutants  and then Spectacular Spider-Man man runs, although I’m now more drawn to earlier Hulk and Defenders work. 

everybody's got an opinion, but I see a lot more Moyer than Ryan.

Nothing wrong with being Jamie Moyer btw.    Most would kill for that kind of career.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:56 AM, Bronty said:

everybody's got an opinion, but I see a lot more Moyer than Ryan.

Nothing wrong with being Jamie Moyer btw.    Most would kill for that kind of career.

I think that Moyer never had a stand out season or accomplishment beyond that 2003 feel good year is what really kills the comparison. Sals runs on Hulk and Cap are definitive to many people, as is his spectacular spidey run among others. Nothing stands out about Moyer beyond longevity.

there's really no perfect comparisons between comic artists and pitchers, we understand that, I trust.

They are very different professions so ultimately no comparison works.

Buscema is Buscema and he did some things well and some things not as well, like most anyone.

I'm a bit surprised by the latest "commissions" batch by Sal.

Don't get me wrong... I like him at lot and I have a page from him in my collection but I couldn't help to stop laughing seeing this Scarlet Witch :

3003231213140j2nB3tie8.jpg

I'm still happy to see him drawing for his fans, but...

Edited by Ecclectica

On 4/1/2023 at 12:46 AM, Ecclectica said:

Don't get me wrong... I like him at lot and I have a page from him in my collection but I couldn't help to stop laughing seeing this Scarlet Witch :

At least you didn’t get the Hulk “scowl”.

On 4/1/2023 at 12:46 AM, Ecclectica said:

Wait, this isn't John Travolta?!? image.png.2af17c2827b4d77e3541f10390c56173.png

I think Sal is renewing himself, in fact, and tries to stay contemporary... We should thank him for that.

Here, he is showing the ravages of the plastic surgery on a lady who, after all, has been around for a long time.

Edited by Ecclectica

On 3/31/2023 at 9:46 PM, Ecclectica said:

Swing and a miss you guys. Surprised at you all, especially my fellow New Yorkers. This is not the scarlet witch but a dead on commission of the "Queen of Mean" Ms. Leona Helmsley. 
Respect the Sal. 

C641ED4E-4CC3-4D08-8DA3-A9A2FB528996.jpeg.d260b06696334c4af843412db3b372d7.jpeg