• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $1M+ Club
4 4

55 posts in this topic

Just worth noting that we've seen a lot of new members join the club of comics that have sold for over $1M recently - six in the last three years.

In order of their club entry, the $1M+ books are:

• Action Comics 1 (2010) (undoubtedly more $1M+ Action 1s than any other comic - likely anything from CGC 5.5 up might be $1M+)
  • Detective Comics 27 (2010) (the clear number two in quantity of $1M+ copies)
  • Amazing Fantasy 15 (2011) (seems like there should be nine $1M+ copies, but emergence of more high grade copies seem likely and would have an impact)
  • Marvel Comics 1 (2019) (likely four $1M+ copies)
  • Batman Comics 1 (2021) (probably number three in $1M+ copies with double digit numbers)
  • All-Star Comics 8 (2021) (maybe only two $1M+ copies)
  • Superman Comics 1 (2022) (maybe only two or three $1M+ copies just due to rarity in high grade)
  • Captain America Comics 1 (2022) (right now I'm saying five $1M+ copies)
  • Fantastic Four Comics 1 (2022) (could be eight $1M+ copies, but again emergence of more high grade copies could have an impact)

What could be next up? I was voting for AS 8, but I found out yesterday it had already made the club in a private sale.  I'm thinking one of these two:

• Flash Comics 1 - a MH CGC 9.6 sold for $450K in 2010 (ages ago);
  • X-Men 1 - a PC CGC 9.8 sold for $492K in 2012 (also a long time ago).

Other contenders such as the best copies of AA 16, Whiz 2, All-Star 3, etc. are locked up in collections, like those of the Verzyl and Anderson families, and seem very unlikely to emerge.  

Longshots could be best copies of Detective 31 or 33 given how the Promise "cover" books did, or maybe even an Action 7?  

Possible non-Marvel or DC contenders?  Right now, I'd say the Whiz 2 MH or the Pep 22 MH copy would have a very strong chance, but they are locked up.  A crazy possibility would be a new "best" copy of WDC&S 1.  

Your thoughts?

On 4/19/2022 at 11:58 AM, sfcityduck said:

Flash Comics 1 - a MH CGC 9.6 sold for $450K in 2010 (ages ago)

It would be cool to see this book come to market, but I’m sure it’s locked up in a private collection as well. So I doubt it ever will. 

It wouldn’t have any issue breaking $1M at all though. 

I thought this was about the SIMT club :tonofbricks:

On 4/19/2022 at 4:52 PM, sfcityduck said:

OOPS!  Thought I was posting to GA.  Wrong forum.  Oh well.  

I think it's fine here, since the club isn't exclusive to Golden Age books.

In terms of your thoughts on Action 1, I would revise the entry level for $1M+ to CGC 2.5 or higher (based on CGC 3.0 and 6.0 sale prices last year), which would translate to 36 graded Action 1s that would likely fetch $1M+, vs. just 13 for CGC 5.5 or higher copies.

If a 9.2 FF #1 can hit $1.5M, (with 8 in grade or higher), then I would think that a 9.2 Hulk #1 might be another candidate for the $1M+ club (IMHO, the sole 9.4 Hulk #1 is a multi-million dollar book if sold today; it's easy to spend other people's money, ha ha).

On 4/19/2022 at 6:06 PM, B2D327 said:

Anyone know the last sale on All-American Comics #16 was? Highest graded is a 9.4 but can’t find a guide value. Probably has the potential, especially if there’s an even higher grade hiding in the wild somewhere

I have wanted that book my whole life,It has eluded me for all time.😭

On 4/19/2022 at 9:06 PM, B2D327 said:

Anyone know the last sale on All-American Comics #16 was? Highest graded is a 9.4 but can’t find a guide value. Probably has the potential, especially if there’s an even higher grade hiding in the wild somewhere

The CGC 9.4 All-American #16 is well over $1M but that book will never hit the market.

The last sale I could find for a universal copy was a CGC 6.5 selling for $215,100 back in February of 2018. 

There was also an extensively restored CGC 6.0 that sold for $43,200 back in November of 2021.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:23 PM, oakman29 said:

I have wanted that book my whole life,It has eluded me for all time.😭

On 4/19/2022 at 10:33 PM, Terry JSA said:

Same. I’m currently chasing one down for myself and it’s been hell trying to find one.

I saw a low grade raw being offered on Facebook about a year ago but can’t remember the asking price. It was out of my budget so I probably disregarded it knowing it wasn’t gonna happen but it was nice to see a copy being offered

On 4/20/2022 at 11:06 AM, B2D327 said:

That was my first thought too. 

On 4/20/2022 at 10:48 AM, sagii said:

I think these are the books not yet in the club that could do it in the 'right' grade

Incredible Hulk #1

All Star Comics #8

Incredible Hulk #181 (9.9)

X-Men #1 

The “right” buyer/s too. Any of those books in the highest graded category has the potential if there would be a bidding war but it would take more than a couple of interested parties to hit that price point

On 4/20/2022 at 10:58 AM, B2D327 said:

The “right” buyer/s too. Any of those books in the highest graded category has the potential if there would be a bidding war but it would take more than a couple of interested parties to hit that price point

Agreed!