• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Usagi Yojimbo
2 2

4 posts in this topic

I feel like after all this time, Usagi Yojimbo is still an underappreciated comic series. I'll admit, I'm a new fan myself. I was first exposed to the character when I was a kid and got his TMNT action figure, but I never read the comics despite being a comic reader at the time (I was almost exclusively into Marvel books in the 80s and 90s). A number of years ago, a good friend of mine got into the books. He was excited to start reading them and tried to get me interested, but I scoffed, because I just wasn't into anthropomorphic characters at all, and though I loved (and still love) Japanese history and entertainment, I just didn't feel it, so I didn't even give it a chance.

Fast forward to summer last year, when Issue 20 of IDW's series advertised the introduction a new regular character. I had been getting tired of what Marvel and DC was pumping out, and was expanding into more indie titles. I finally decided to give Usagi a try, and figured even if I didn't like it, that specific issue would be a good investment because I knew Usagi had its loyal fans and it was a first appearance. But you know what? I really enjoyed the comic, and have been picking up the new stuff (including the new color reprints) monthly since. I've been a little behind in my reading, but I just recently finished Issues 25-26 which introduced (to me; he's been around) a cool villain named Jei. After finishing the issues, I did some internet research and learned some interesting things about some of his inspiration (Jason Voorhees, believe it or not!) and his first appearance, which I promptly picked up for a good deal off eBay.

I guess I just wonder why it isn't much more popular than it is. I know Usagi has his faithful fans, but I just feel like the character is still undiscovered, or maybe just not given a chance, by many who might actually end up enjoying it like I did. It's pretty remarkable that Stan Sakai has been writing, drawing, and lettering the series all this time as well. He's 68 years old now. You just don't get that true continuity with anything from the big 2 companies. Maybe when the Netflix series drops (that's still happening, right?), it'll get more fans. But anyway, I think the series is great for readers and collectors alike. There are surely gems of back issues that can still be gotten at a good price, and I believe there will be future classics from the series as well.

I've read every single issue of Usagi that Sakai has done, starting about a decade ago via the collected editions and continuing on today through the monthly single issues. It's the only long running series of which I've read every issue. I enjoy it quite a lot.

With that said it's a niche property steeped very firmly in a specific time period that won't hold much appeal to a broad audience. This is likely why the animated series will be placed in the future instead of Edo period Japan. 

My biggest frustration with the property is that I idiotically sold my copy of Albedo 2 and now it's too expensive to get back.

On 4/21/2022 at 5:41 PM, Ryan. said:

I've read every single issue of Usagi that Sakai has done, starting about a decade ago via the collected editions and continuing on today through the monthly single issues. It's the only long running series of which I've read every issue. I enjoy it quite a lot.

With that said it's a niche property steeped very firmly in a specific time period that won't hold much appeal to a broad audience. This is likely why the animated series will be placed in the future instead of Edo period Japan. 

My biggest frustration with the property is that I idiotically sold my copy of Albedo 2 and now it's too expensive to get back.

The chatter of the boards had me look up TMNT #47, it hasnt the steam it once had either, have a copy though.

For a niche, the preview in #47 has to be a niche of a niche?

Anyway lol

On 4/21/2022 at 12:44 AM, BuraddoRun said:

I feel like after all this time, Usagi Yojimbo is still an underappreciated comic series. I'll admit, I'm a new fan myself. I was first exposed to the character when I was a kid and got his TMNT action figure, but I never read the comics despite being a comic reader at the time (I was almost exclusively into Marvel books in the 80s and 90s). A number of years ago, a good friend of mine got into the books. He was excited to start reading them and tried to get me interested, but I scoffed, because I just wasn't into anthropomorphic characters at all, and though I loved (and still love) Japanese history and entertainment, I just didn't feel it, so I didn't even give it a chance.

Fast forward to summer last year, when Issue 20 of IDW's series advertised the introduction a new regular character. I had been getting tired of what Marvel and DC was pumping out, and was expanding into more indie titles. I finally decided to give Usagi a try, and figured even if I didn't like it, that specific issue would be a good investment because I knew Usagi had its loyal fans and it was a first appearance. But you know what? I really enjoyed the comic, and have been picking up the new stuff (including the new color reprints) monthly since. I've been a little behind in my reading, but I just recently finished Issues 25-26 which introduced (to me; he's been around) a cool villain named Jei. After finishing the issues, I did some internet research and learned some interesting things about some of his inspiration (Jason Voorhees, believe it or not!) and his first appearance, which I promptly picked up for a good deal off eBay.

I guess I just wonder why it isn't much more popular than it is. I know Usagi has his faithful fans, but I just feel like the character is still undiscovered, or maybe just not given a chance, by many who might actually end up enjoying it like I did. It's pretty remarkable that Stan Sakai has been writing, drawing, and lettering the series all this time as well. He's 68 years old now. You just don't get that true continuity with anything from the big 2 companies. Maybe when the Netflix series drops (that's still happening, right?), it'll get more fans. But anyway, I think the series is great for readers and collectors alike. There are surely gems of back issues that can still be gotten at a good price, and I believe there will be future classics from the series as well.

I think the netflix show is dropping next week.