• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad to store a slab in an unsealed bubble mailer?

22 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I was thinking about storing my slabs in unsealed bubble mailers to protect them from scratches.  However, I believe this  might be a bad idea in the long run as the bag might prevent the book from “breathing”.  What are your thoughts thoughts on the subject?   Thank you in advance for your replies.  

An unsealed bubble mailer will allow its contents to breathe just fine.  However, I don't believe this level of protection is warranted for "stored" items.  Scratches require relative movement during contact.  If there is no relative movement while adjacent slabs are in contact, there will be no scratches.  That being said, there are 2 mil bags specifically made for graded comic books, if you want to take a "belt and suspenders" approach to keeping your stored slabs scratch free.  (thumbsu

Edited by zzutak

On 4/22/2022 at 11:04 AM, Rayzor13 said:

Hi All,

I was thinking about storing my slabs in unsealed bubble mailers to protect them from scratches.  However, I believe this  might be a bad idea in the long run as the bag might prevent the book from “breathing”.  What are your thoughts thoughts on the subject?   Thank you in advance for your replies.  

Crystal clear polypropylene resealable bags. Cheap, transparent and will protect slabs from scratches. 

On 4/22/2022 at 3:08 PM, Rayzor13 said:

Thanks for your replies.  Are the bags CGC wraps them in the same?   I was thinking of putting the bubble wrapped slabs in an acid free box, stored vertically.  

The space the bubble mailer takes would drive me crazy!  Having said that, I see no "problem" with your idea.  

On 4/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, Rayzor13 said:

Thanks for your replies.  Are the bags CGC wraps them in the same?   I was thinking of putting the bubble wrapped slabs in an acid free box, stored vertically.  

Not the same as CGC bags. I believe these are available in mylar as well but can't think that mylar would have an advantage in protecting the slab.

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 4.44.37 PM.png

Protective bags to keep your plastic slabs safe.  lol

Next we should start making opaque slabs to keep any light from fading or damaging the books.

"No, it's in there, I assure you--and it's GORGEOUS!  But we can't allow anyone to look at it."

On 4/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, Rayzor13 said:

The question you should really be asking is if storing the slabs vertically is the best way to go (hint: the answer is it isn't).

On 4/22/2022 at 5:06 PM, Axe Elf said:

Next we should start making opaque slabs to keep any light from fading or damaging the books.

"No, it's in there, I assure you--and it's GORGEOUS!  But we can't allow anyone to look at it."

CGC slabs should really be 99% UV resistant at this point.  It's a travesty it isn't.  Honestly, if CGC charged an extra $5-$10 for special UV resistant material, I'd do it.

Edited by ExNihilo

On 4/23/2022 at 1:06 AM, Axe Elf said:

Nothing worse than flipping through a bunch of beat up, scratched and grubby slabs at a con. Or, having one arrive in the post and then having to get it re holdered. In my experience, damaged slabs are next to impossible to polish or clean up. Makes perfect sense to me to to put some cheap, clear polyprop bags over my slabs to keep the slab in pristine condition. (shrug)

On 4/22/2022 at 7:51 PM, jokiing said:

Not the same as CGC bags. I believe these are available in mylar as well but can't think that mylar would have an advantage in protecting the slab.

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 4.44.37 PM.png

Perfect - Thank you!

On 4/22/2022 at 3:08 PM, Rayzor13 said:

The bags that CGC uses for slabbed books are on the more economical side...  

Slabs are protected from normal handling and look nice in E Gerber 914M2.  2 mil Mylar offers significantly greater UV protection than CGC's slabs

For light scratches and scuffs; a bit of muscle  and PlastX - don't use the sandpaper pads though :)

814eHJiah5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/23/2022 at 4:17 PM, MAR1979 said:

2 mil Mylar offers significantly greater UV protection than CGC's slabs

I believe e Gerber Mylites uses what they call Mylar D which they advertise as 99% resistant.  I've often wondered, what material does CGC use for the inner well of the case?  Is it an archival material?  Or is it like polypropylene and is something that needs to be replaced every so often.  The truth is, CGC wouldn't even need to manufacture the case to be 99% UV resistant so long as the inner well in which the book is actually housed in is made from something as simple as Mylar D.

Me to CGC: I want the D!

:makepoint:

Edited by ExNihilo