• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this common?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Yeah, the UL corner made the grader's notes, too (as did the creasing below the tear). At this grade, I suppose this missing chunk probably slips in as acceptable on a blue (rather than green) label. In part, I think that's helped by being random damage; purposefully-removed cover elements seem to get green labels with less affected area.

Anyway, nice book notwithstanding the damage

On 4/22/2022 at 4:46 PM, Badlands said:

I understand that the older the book, especially golden age, the more lenient CGC is on the grade. However, I'm very surprised that this received a blue label.

I'm very glad it did but curious if others have seen this before?20210729_165058.thumb.jpg.506379631ce8d589c49e85bba267a863.jpg

What really surprises me is no one entered "Bondage cover" in the key comments...  :bigsmile:

Edited by The Lions Den

I agree with Joe on both counts.  For the record, the missing chunk (about 3 in2) represents only about 5% of the FC.  :hi:

Edited by zzutak

This book must have graded much higher to receive a GD/VG 3.0 with that large piece missing from the front cover.

GD/VG 3.0 - A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable.

GD 2.0 - The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square

FR/GD 1.5 -  Up to 1/10 of the back cover may be missing. 

FR 1.0 -  there may be up to 1/4 of the front cover missing or no back cover, but not both.