• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on possible Trimming
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I purchased this comic, Thor 148, through a reputable dealer. After looking it over I noticed it many of the edges were not close to straight and it was a lot smaller than a typical Silver age comic. It measures at most, less than 6 and 11/16" on both the top and bottom edges, about a quarter-inch smaller than most of my other Silver and early Bronze Age comics. Since I've been burned once before by a trimmed comic a lot more expensive than this one, I'm always a little skeptical. Admittedly, I'm certainly not an expert at detecting this, so I was hoping the boards could give their opinions.

Thanks, everyone!

Wrecker.thumb.jpg.89842e3ec1d75d61b80a6134ff75ec2b.jpg

Wrecker ruler.jpg

wrecker ruler 2.jpg

Wrecker Edge 1.jpg

Wrecker Edge 2.jpg

Here's an image of the cover I Googled:

detail.jpg

Hard to tell at the top and bottom, but it does look like you're missing about 1/16" from the right edge.

On 4/23/2022 at 9:04 AM, 12:34 said:

I think that's just the cover miswrap.

Except that his copy is miswrapped in the other direction--about 1/32" to the left (can't quite see all of the "M" in "MARVEL")--and there's still and additional 1/16" missing from the right edge.  See red circled area in photos below for easy points of reference:

detail.jpg.c402cfc97bb1241587ffabf93e2ce182.jpgdetail2.thumb.jpg.1901055b1f222d722d7488d14cc16566.jpg

On 4/22/2022 at 3:56 PM, Cephusdog said:

I purchased this comic, Thor 148, through a reputable dealer. After looking it over I noticed it many of the edges were not close to straight and it was a lot smaller than a typical Silver age comic. It measures at most, less than 6 and 11/16" on both the top and bottom edges, about a quarter-inch smaller than most of my other Silver and early Bronze Age comics. Since I've been burned once before by a trimmed comic a lot more expensive than this one, I'm always a little skeptical. Admittedly, I'm certainly not an expert at detecting this, so I was hoping the boards could give their opinions.

Thanks, everyone!

Wrecker ruler.jpg

wrecker ruler 2.jpg

Wrecker Edge 1.jpg

Wrecker Edge 2.jpg

Size can be an indication but it's not conclusive.  I see a bunch of little burrs along the inner pages on the right edge.  The cover should have similar burrs that match up with the interior pages.  Do they match up?  If not (meaning the cover is smooth and straight where the inner pages have burrs), that's a strong indication of trimming.  But if they match up perfectly, then it's probably not trimmed.  

Edited by FFB

On 5/5/2022 at 5:28 PM, FFB said:

Size can be an indication but it's not conclusive.  I see a bunch of little burrs along the inner pages on the right edge.  The cover should have similar burrs that match up with the interior pages.  Do they match up?  If not (meaning the cover is smooth and straight where the inner pages have burrs), that's a strong indication of trimming.  But if they match up perfectly, then it's probably not trimmed.  

Things appear to match up nicely, so I don't think it was trimmed, Just a bad cut. I have other silver age books in a smaller size, but this is the smallest by far. I appreciate everyone's help, as I learned quite a bit and now know what to look for in the future.

(worship)

On 4/22/2022 at 3:56 PM, Cephusdog said:

Thanks, everyone!

Wrecker ruler.jpg

wrecker ruler 2.jpg

Wrecker Edge 1.jpg

Wrecker Edge 2.jpg

One glance is all it takes at this point. Not trimmed. No question about it. Send to CGC in complete confidence. It will not return trimmed.